Chilean Newspaper Lists Shenmue, Okami as Part of "Worst Games of All-Time"

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
otakon17 said:
Casual Shinji said:
One industry darling, maybe. But 4 on one list!?

These guys are just straight up trolling, there's no other way. Even if you don't like Okami, seriously naming it a worse game than Duke Nukem Forever makes me question your sanity.
Agreed, there is NO way they've got Okami, Grim Fandango, Shenmue and Psychonauts are worse games then the likes of Duke Nukem Forever or Big Rigs. And PAC-MAN?! REALLY?! One of the DE FACTO titans of gaming in it's infancy. No way in hell that post is legitimate.
That's one they were right on.
Pac-Man for the atari 2600 was genuinely crap

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Hey everyone, actual chilean reporting here.

For those of you who accuse this article of being clickbait:

You're completely right.

Las Últimas Noticias (LUN as we call it), is one of those shitty newspapers that have absolutely no credibility, composed mostly of clickbait. It's actually sort of a running gag here that some utterly catastrophic or world changing event happens and LUN just publishes the latest toothpaste preference of some cockstain celebrity on their first page.

Besides this country just doesn't take videogames seriously enough to have any weight on the matter.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Shenmue, Okami and Psychonauts...

I... uh... WAHT!??... I need to trash something >:C

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
As a Shenmue fan I once heard the old G4 show "Filter" list it as one of the worst games at all time. I suppose the justification in these cases is that they didn't do so well financially, or were major flops compared to the budget, which was certainly the case for Shenmue and Psychonauts when it first came out. It all depends on what measures they're using.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
Alex Co said:
It's always better to look into what you read, before stating that something was written in complete seriousness.

Even if it was made in complete seriousness, this is still an opinion and much like buttholes, everyone has one.
Differing opinions will come and go, but don't act like this is something worth trying to rile the masses into action.

The worst thing you can do is make something out of nothing.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Mr C said:
These guys are clearly professional trolls.

I do wonder how many people on this site have actually played ET on the Atari? I seen videos and it looks shit, but I've never played it. Anyone?
Confession: I played it when I was a kid. More, I liked it. *hangs her head in shame* I wouldn't NOW of course, but when I was a kid an the 2600 was awesome? Sure. :)

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
These kind of lists are subjective, clickbait, and tend to reference prominent pop-culture stinkers rather then truly shit, lesser-known games. I understand this.

But still, I'm getting pretty damn tired of Duke Forever always cropping up. It's not a *bad* game - it went through absolute development hell and failed to live up to expectations, sure, but now we're judging the game by its hype, not the game itself. By that criteria, we could call Kate and Milo the worst game ever because a) it was never released and b) it didn't exist outside of a lie calculated to sell Kinekts.

But, DNF, itself, the actual game - it's average. Not great, but also completely undeserving of the uninspired and steady stream of pop-culture-critic urine it attracts. I could name plenty of games I'd rather not play than DNF.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
right ....

This is why I never listen to 'experts', an alarming amount of them have no fucking idea what they're talking about.
In a country where "gaming culture" isn't a thing like in the US, yeah, I pretty much agree with this, but still the "expert" here wasn't brought in to create a list at all.

I remember seeing this and read Pac-man and Psychonauts, I knew someone fucked up, but considering that the latest "gaming" section of a news channel stated that the new Bethesda game was called "Wolfenstein the New Order: Beyond castle wolfenstein" just a few days ago, is just another example of why almost no one here pays much attention to any game related thing on the news.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Reading the article, it doesn't really give any reason to put hose games in the list. They make a few points about other games being bad, and reasons about the videogame crash in the 80's but that's about it. I doubt they are really experts.

Bart XB

Apr 6, 2014
The Atari version of Pac-Man deserves to be on the list. Probaly the worst port ever.

Even DNF doens't belong. I could make a list of 20 FPS games that are far worse. Gearbox' own Aliens Colonial Marines for starters makes DNF look like a masterpiece.

Weird list though. Grim Fandango is usually listed in top 10 best point & click adventures.

Looks like the creator of the list mistook commercial flops for bad games.

Shenmue, Grim Fandango, Okami, Psychonauts are al games that sold poorly despite being well received games.

DNF is also a game people love to hate, even though it's more disappointing than truly bad. I enjoyed it. It's not great or anything but I had a fun time playing it. The dated graphics didn't bother me, I liked the retarded humor. Its length is above average and the gameplay is diverse.

I also liked it's not non stop shooting but had a good pacing. I liked it had some puzzles. Or tried to. I enjoyed the part with RC car and the kitchen level where you play as mini-duke.

Being a fan of 80s/early 90s action flicks also helps. DNF was basically a throwback to those days. Altough not a very good one. Some modern elements felt out of place. The weapon limit was a huge let down.

I did enjoy the regenerating health bar. It makes sense in the game, by calling it the "ego" meter. Clever and funny and it made regenerating health work.

DNF was a flawed game, but far from bad, let alone one of the worst ever.

Aliens Colonial Marines was much much worse. That game was so bad it was unplayable.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I still want to find and strangle the creator of this article for putting Okami on the list, regardless of his reasons. The only kind of list Okami belong on is 'Best Game Ever - Okami'.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I think a lot of people are missing the point. This is an article with a "Click Bait" title about an article with a "click bait" title. One which included Desert Bus but wasn't commented on at all in the Escapist Article. Also including two Tim Schafer games on that list, going for the hipster vote, I like it.

It's very Meta.

I smell a conspiracy of epic proportions, clearly Alex is part of the Illuminati. It's the only logical explanation.

Blitzing

Jan 12, 2014
As someone who has played, beaten and enjoyed both Psychonauts and Grim Fandango, this list is bad.
I really dont like this list

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
This seems more like a list of games that were expected to sell really well but didn't, but then big rigs and desert bus are on there so I have no idea.