China Overtakes U.S. with World's Fastest Supercomputer

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I thought to myself after reading the headline "I hope there's a Hitchhiker's Guide reference"
Complete Win.

But this isn't so important really, I'm pretty sure i'm not the first person to point out that Folding@Home is already ahead of this computer and that's only a small number of people (0.5m).

(EDIT)
Hell yes. Comment #42.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Why the hell is this a smart use of money, what possible use would this serve? it feels like amazing case of overkill.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
XT inc said:
Pssh probably still wont be able to run crysis 3 on max settings.
Probably couldn't run the original Crysis at more than 50fps. God that game was unoptimized...

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
so they had more money to build a computer with the latest stuff?
Big. Fcking. Whoop. If I had millions of dollars to spend I'd simply buy both computers and combine them into one and place them in switzerland.

Everybody happy: )

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
danpascooch said:
Ok, it's one thing for the US to be beaten by Japan or maybe Korea in this department, but CHINA!? SERIOUSLY!? Fuck that, we need to make a new megacomputer

2.507 petaflops
That is a hilarious unit
It is a hilarious unit...

It is not very impressive because all they did was network a bizillion chips together, anyone with enough time and money can do that.

Anyway, I have 56.87928 petaflop computer in my basement (it runs Crysis on "high" and gets 55~65 fps...) so why is this one so great?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
MasterSplinter said:
Crysis joke incoming
T - 10 (posts)
murphy7801 said:
Yer but can crysis warhead at maximum on a 10,000 by 6000 resolution ?
A computer like this you'd think would be able to render games that looked as good as a Pixar movie real-time, but they can't.
A signal could not be able to respond at a fast enough rate to a single monitor to provide steady output of 30fps (or more) because the signal would have to travel so far through so many circuits.

Even if the monitor was subdivided into quadrants which computer blocks were individually assigned to, it still would not get a very good refresh rate. And no game exists that would be compatible. Architecture for 8 cel processors is hard enough, imagine writing code for 14,000 CPUs.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
It's sad since we never had anyone to compete with we never really pushed our tech as much. Now China over took us, maybe this will spark some passion to build a better computer.

Hister

Don't Run You'll Just Die Tired
Apr 8, 2010
off topic but I wonder how much energy this thing uses a day, my PC strong enough to notice the expence in my electric bill, I cant imagine how much this uses.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
So how many flops do I get out of my PS3?, its a "random number" megaflop or something right? and whats the difference between a mega and a peta?

I can't stop thinking of PETA right now.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Vaccine said:
Why the hell is this a smart use of money, what possible use would this serve? it feels like amazing case of overkill.
Its probably to try and predict the weather accurately.