Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Laptop out of commission for a reason yet to be discovered. Forced to look up a few things on my phone that I normally don't, work-related. 4/4 websites don't load properly. An out-of-control burst of anger. How difficult is it to optimize your website for all screens? I actually checked, specifically speaking of eCommerce websites since those were misbehaving. Many things to do, but I could do half of them, so not rocket science. And why am I ranting about this? When something, an issue of any kind, can be easily prevented with minimum effort and it isn't...I just can't.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
There is no system that cannot be abused. None in welfare, none in politics, none in knowledge production. No airtight blueprint. With the consequence that all systems are suspicious, and suspected. Meaning we cannot establish a consensus. Whenever policies, or results, contradicts one social group's assumptions, there is always a way to question it instead of questioning ourselves. Rightly or wrongly ? Was the system actually abused, corrupted, subverted ? It's just a matter of luck, we don't have much more than subjective intuitions (the very subjective intuitions that oppose us) to rely on. No solid foundations.

Of course, not everything is equal. It isn't a perfect symmetry. Some systems can be more solid, more reliable than others, with more safeguards (peer reviews, accountability, etc). The degrees of cohesion and arbitrary contradictions can be evaluated. We try to set up methodologies over methodologies to unmask our own biases, errors, vulnerabilities. And we can sometimes assess the very intent to stay self-critical or not. But these aren't absolutes, and you can always find systemic or punctual counter examples to cast a shadow of doubt on the system. Honestly or deviously.

Se we're between a rock and a hard place. I try to not reproach others things that I would do in symmetrically opposite conditions, and I try to pinpoint on what exact ground I legitimise or delegitimise it. And usually it comes to values, morals, way above the ethics, deontology, which themselves come above conformity to a system that is supposed to feature its own failsafes. But I still dream of something that would ground a consensus. To build upon some universal common ground, and accept the architecture of it.

It's just no product of such architecture can be accepted blindly. Because - there's no system that couldn't be abused.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
There is no system that cannot be abused. None in welfare, none in politics, none in knowledge production. No airtight blueprint. With the consequence that all systems are suspicious, and suspected. Meaning we cannot establish a consensus. Whenever policies, or results, contradicts one social group's assumptions, there is always a way to question it instead of questioning ourselves. Rightly or wrongly ? Was the system actually abused, corrupted, subverted ? It's just a matter of luck, we don't have much more than subjective intuitions (the very subjective intuitions that oppose us) to rely on. No solid foundations.

Of course, not everything is equal. It isn't a perfect symmetry. Some systems can be more solid, more reliable than others, with more safeguards (peer reviews, accountability, etc). The degrees of cohesion and arbitrary contradictions can be evaluated. We try to set up methodologies over methodologies to unmask our own biases, errors, vulnerabilities. And we can sometimes assess the very intent to stay self-critical or not. But these aren't absolutes, and you can always find systemic or punctual counter examples to cast a shadow of doubt on the system. Honestly or deviously.

Se we're between a rock and a hard place. I try to not reproach others things that I would do in symmetrically opposite conditions, and I try to pinpoint on what exact ground I legitimise or delegitimise it. And usually it comes to values, morals, way above the ethics, deontology, which themselves come above conformity to a system that is supposed to feature its own failsafes. But I still dream of something that would ground a consensus. To build upon some universal common ground, and accept the architecture of it.

It's just no product of such architecture can be accepted blindly. Because - there's no system that couldn't be abused.
Yes, all systems can be abused, but better a system abused by a minority of people but protecting a majority than the destruction of a system because of a minority. (I am, of course, talking about 'benefit' systems in the UK, which are designed to sear the skin from your bones and scatter your bones from the current era before they give you a penny, just in case you aren't adequately deserving.)

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Some people, like me, have the decency to lie in a heap with a stupid smile on their face, eat pizza and watch cartoons when they get stoned.
My girlfriend on the other hand seems to turn into the most irritating person on the planet, spewing an almost non stop stream of idiotic drivel, like a 5 year olds train of thought sung in an out of tune nursery rhyme, complete with 5 year olds voice. I'm currently hiding in the toilet trying to avoid her.
Anyway, that's the complain train that I'm on at the moment.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Yes, all systems can be abused, but better a system abused by a minority of people but protecting a majority than the destruction of a system because of a minority. (I am, of course, talking about 'benefit' systems in the UK, which are designed to sear the skin from your bones and scatter your bones from the current era before they give you a penny, just in case you aren't adequately deserving.)
Sounds like the fun times we had here in Oz not long ago with 'Robodebt', a policy to 'claw back' welfare overpayments that cost way more to conduct that it ever got back, used private debt collection arseholes, drove people to despair and suicide (that's not hyperbole either, it fucken happened), oh, and turned out the method to figure out the 'debt' was so flawed the whole scheme was later declared illegal when it was challenged in the High Court. It's now starring in it's own Royal Commission.

That was the same government who decided that companies that took millions in Covid payment without even qualifying only had to pay that money back if they really, really felt like it... which most of them didn't but, hey, it was tough times for everyone, you know?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Despite everything, I think Australia's failings in that regard don't equal the UKs. I think the Australian politicians gave it a solid effort, but were let down by a system and society that just doesn't appreciate that level of mendacity the way the UK does.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Despite everything, I think Australia's failings in that regard don't equal the UKs. I think the Australian politicians gave it a solid effort, but were let down by a system and society that just doesn't appreciate that level of mendacity the way the UK does.
No, we usually only expect that carry on from the Murdoch press and hoteliers that are offering less than minimum wage and complaining no one wants to work for them... and Gerry fucken Harvey.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No, we usually only expect that carry on from the Murdoch press and hoteliers that are offering less than minimum wage and complaining no one wants to work for them... and Gerry fucken Harvey.
Something about him and Clive Palmer just sets off alarms in my brain.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I hate how when someone necro's a thread (usually @BrawlMan) and you click on it, it dumps you on the first page instead of taking you to the 'new' post as usual. Like, come one site, you know which one I haven't read since it's still marked 'new', I'm not going to re-read 10 pages of posts just because it's been a couple months.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hate how when someone necro's a thread (usually @BrawlMan) and you click
I don't do it that often. Plus, some things on my mind, and I want to add something to it, I'll do so. Most of the other users don't seem to mind.

Like, come one site, you know which one I haven't read since it's still marked 'new', I'm not going to re-read 10 pages of posts just because it's been a couple months.
I agree, it is a big pain in the ass.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I hate how when someone necro's a thread (usually @BrawlMan) and you click on it, it dumps you on the first page instead of taking you to the 'new' post as usual. Like, come one site, you know which one I haven't read since it's still marked 'new', I'm not going to re-read 10 pages of posts just because it's been a couple months.
Do you not just click the date of the new post on the right-hand side of the subforum page to go straight to it?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Do you not just click the date of the new post on the right-hand side of the subforum page to go straight to it?
That goes to the 'last post', if there's been a bunch of posts since the necro that I haven't seen, then I'm still scrolling up and paging back trying to find the time jump.
I don't do it that often. Plus, some things on my mind, and I want to add something to it, I'll do so. Most of the other users don't seem to mind.
But you are, like, the only one who does. Half the time I'll just go to the last page and scroll up until I see your name, then check the date. I don't mind either, but you're the main necromancer here.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
As a newcomer, I'm quite grateful for necroed threads. There's quite a few interesting discussions that are gathering dust, and I'm still uncomfortable bumping them myself as people have unpredictable reactions to that (and also because it requires to catch up with the thread and it can sometimes be a long read).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I wish Youtube had a way to change where the little pop up ads show up on the video. I don't mean the commercials, but the ads you have to click on to remove.
I'd like to be able to have them show up at the top of the screen because I watch a lot of clips of non-english speakers and the bottom of the screen is where the subtitles go. It's annoying when I suddenly have to rewind the video because I missed what was being said.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So I'm in the market for a new radio for my car (very low on my priority list; replacing the drip pans on my oven comes in ahead) and I was looking at Best Buy's selection, and I noticed that every model was almost completely touch-screen, aside from power and volume (and most of these were just small buttons on the side of the display). Does this strike anyone else as a really bad idea? Having an actual volume knob and preset buttons you can feel helps you keep your eyes on the road, instead of having to look down to see where on the screen you have to touch.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I'm in the market for a new radio for my car (very low on my priority list; replacing the drip pans on my oven comes in ahead) and I was looking at Best Buy's selection, and I noticed that every model was almost completely touch-screen, aside from power and volume (and most of these were just small buttons on the side of the display). Does this strike anyone else as a really bad idea? Having an actual volume knob and preset buttons you can feel helps you keep your eyes on the road, instead of having to look down to see where on the screen you have to touch.
Yes, yes it is, I hate it. It's one of the reasons that I think Teslas are fucking stupidly put together, but everyone seems to really want to copy the "iPad in the middle of the car" design aesthetic.

I actually really like Mazda's implementation where the controls for the screen use a knob/joystick as well as buttons located near the stick shift. It's easily accessible when driving, tactile, and doesn't make you take your eyes off the road.

1676690708435.png

Unfortunately Mazda's software sucks, but at least since they have android auto/apple carplay support your interaction with it can be minimal.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Agree, I miss having a genuine stereo rather than the built-in unit mine has. Does have a separate dial for volume and power (with a really big response delay, so you'd best like that song), but everything else is (bad) touchscreen. Track skip on the steering wheel though.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler