Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you say something to the kitten? Dunno if it's true, but apparently if you use the right tone right away they can remember not to do that again.

Also, did you clean the wounds? Apparently cat scratches can get nasty infections.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
We had a few fairly decent-sized sheets of mirror glass we put out for bulk pickup today, but turns out the city doesn't pick up glass, so as we're trying to think of ways to dispose of them, this is the conversation we had:

Her: "Can't we just break it all into smaller pieces and put it in the trash?"
Me: "Yes, but we'll need a glass cutter; there's no reliable way to break glass without scoring it first. We'll end up with a hundred shards of glass in the alley."
Her: "Ok, do we have a glass cutter?"
Me: "No, but I'll run to Home Depot here in few minutes and get one."
*Seconds later*
Her: "I have an idea."
Me: " About what?"
Her: *gets out of her chair, and exits the patio*
*A minute latter, the sound of glass breaking*

I go out to the alley where she's standing over A HUNDRED SHARDS OF GLASS IN THE ALLEY with a crow bar and rubber mallet.

Her: "I thought I could just break into smaller pieces!"
Me: "Y'mean exactly like I said you couldn't?"

FFS, the only way to convince her of anything is reverse psychology. The more you insist you're right, the more she's convinced she knows better. I should have told her to grab a hammer, break it all into dust, and let the wind carry it away, and she probably would have brought them back inside and hung them on a wall. :rolleyes:
You wrap it in a sheet usually then break it. Can just tip into bags then.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You wrap it in a sheet usually then break it. Can just tip into bags then.
With any sane and rational person, yes; that'd have been a great idea. But we're talking about my girlfriend; sanity and rationality are not her strong suits when it comes to problem solving, especially if you've any idea contrary to what she already thinks. Love her to death, but I advise anyone within a 2-mile radius to ignore anything she says, and anyone within a 10-mile radius of one of her "bright ideas" should evacuate.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
With any sane and rational person, yes; that'd have been a great idea. But we're talking about my girlfriend; sanity and rationality are not her strong suits when it comes to problem solving, especially if you've any idea contrary to what she already thinks. Love her to death, but I advise anyone within a 2-mile radius to ignore anything she says, and anyone within a 10-mile radius of one of her "bright ideas" should evacuate.
Everyone needs a bit of unpredictability in their life. I mean, not me, everyone else.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
What's so bad about just visiting their website or using their app directly?
My understanding is that their app is absolutely terrible, riddled with bugs and lacking support for basic features like proper video playback.
Their app is bad. Uses one of the worst video players ever built and tends to hang and crash constantly.
On top of a garbage app the current CEO is completely detached from reality (shocker), thinking charging 3rd party apps 20 million dollars for API access is reasonable and "didn't want to be like Twitter" while being exactly like Twitter. Cherry on top, he put out snide remarks towards the developer of the Apolo 3rd party Reddit app and attempted to lie about their mutual actions and conversations in order to discredit the developer. In other words, he's too busy being a total cock waffle than actually make good decisions

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
On top of a garbage app the current CEO is completely detached from reality (shocker), thinking charging 3rd party apps 20 million dollars for API access is reasonable and "didn't want to be like Twitter" while being exactly like Twitter. Cherry on top, he put out snide remarks towards the developer of the Apolo 3rd party Reddit app and attempted to lie about their mutual actions and conversations in order to discredit the developer. In other words, he's too busy being a total cock waffle than actually make good decisions
Ah, so its a CEO thing. Makes sense. So much of Reddit is so horrible that you're not really angry, just confused why anyone would fucking do this.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This reddit protest thing is really annoying. I don't even really know what it's about, and I don't really care either. I've got about 4k words currently written about Made in Abyss and nowhere to post them because the stupid subreddit is closed 'indefinitely'.

Do you say something to the kitten? Dunno if it's true, but apparently if you use the right tone right away they can remember not to do that again.

Also, did you clean the wounds? Apparently cat scratches can get nasty infections.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I'm new to kitten ownership (lived with an older cat for 7 years, but she was pretty much set in her ways,) so I'm not sure how to effectively discipline a rambunctious kitten.

As for the scratches, they weren't bad, a mild inconvenience, so I didn't take any measures to disinfect or anything. If I succumb to syphilis or something over the next couple of weeks, we know who to blame.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I should stop watching tech channels because all I do is find stuff I want to try and aren't remotely equipped to do. Like building my own WiFi router out of an old PC.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
eddie mitchell and ennio morricone are very different things and maybe i should stop labelling stuff by their initials

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
White is a guy with nothing left to lose. I'd offer that at that point in the series, he's so dug in, even HE is amazed he'd not been found out yet. He knows what he's doing is wrong; he knows it's not going to/shouldn't last forever, or even much longer. That scene wasn't about his "acting;" it was about his willingness to give up and let the DEA take him down and end the spiraling madness. But when the bait isn't taken, even when so blatantly put before them... "welp, guess I still gotta clock in tomorrow." Like someone seriously contemplating suicide who sees an opportunity to be killed by someone else. Just sayin' the show is well written, and I feel every scene is very intentional.

But yes, Cranston is an amazing actor.
I’ve always thought it was just the most “Walter-ish” thing to do in that situation. Sure, his guilt was coming through and it was a cheeky way of “admittance”, but he still knew damn well he had to make it sound like an unbelievable joke. If he just broke down and cried or started acting nervous or distracted that would’ve been it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I’ve always thought it was just the most “Walter-ish” thing to do in that situation. Sure, his guilt was coming through and it was a cheeky way of “admittance”, but he still knew damn well he had to make it sound like an unbelievable joke. If he just broke down and cried or started acting nervous or distracted that would’ve been it.
It absolutely was a "Walter-ish" thing to do. It was the difference between "I did it" and "you got me" where White stands. "I did it" being a confession to end it all; "you got me" being the opportunity for the prosecutors to do their job if they're so willing and able. That scene in particular was the "come to Jesus" moment that his actions had consequences, consequences he had already completely expected to pay, just sooner than he'd expected or planned for. When the cat has the mouse by the tail, and isn't smart enough to swallow him whole, welp, the mouse assumes the game is on.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
It absolutely was a "Walter-ish" thing to do. It was the difference between "I did it" and "you got me" where White stands. "I did it" being a confession to end it all; "you got me" being the opportunity for the prosecutors to do their job if they're so willing and able. That scene in particular was the "come to Jesus" moment that his actions had consequences, consequences he had already completely expected to pay, just sooner than he'd expected or planned for. When the cat has the mouse by the tail, and isn't smart enough to swallow him whole, welp, the mouse assumes the game is on.
The whole thing was though, if he didn’t leave the book in the loo, Hank would’ve never put two and two together. Walt’s ego wasn’t put in check until the garage confrontation. Even then he told Hank he’d best “tread lightly”.

A bit more contemplative on that note -

Good comment -

wyskass 1 month ago (edited)
I think Vince's idea is most realistic. If you look at how criminals get caught, it's rarely some dramatic arrogance or meaningful event. He simply didn't think about it, it was just his bathroom, and was overlooked. The banality of it is a perfect representation of how random or seemingly insignificant events can change the course of lives. As they say a criminal must never make a mistake, and nobody can be perfect forever. The banality of this is most poetic to me.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The finish on the Captain Morgan statue I restored for a friend came out really cloudy despite its "crystal clear" boasting on the can. I ended up repainting the whole thing (just finished,) and am applying a high gloss coat when it dries. It was a b*tch and a half. If it doesn't look right after this last step, he's getting it as is; I'm done with the Captain. It'll still looks 100 times better than it did when he gave it to me, but this artist being his own worst critique, I'll never look at this statue again with anything less than thinking "coulda, woulda, shoulda." Doesn't help we've been in record-high heat and humidity making the paints a pill to deal with. Today, the humidity has subsided a bit, but my expectations for the finished product are pretty low by my own standards, though I'm sure my friend is going to love it. How long it'll last is another question for someone else; I'm done after this clear coat.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Tried to do someone a favour by finishing a half-dismantled shower area while they're away. Cracked a tile, but should be easy enough to replace it's just a white tile. Oh, it's a size the big box stores don't carry this season (no, really). Never mind, located elsewhere, that's a relief. Pick up new tile and take to the shower. Hrrrm, not quite right. Who the fuck buys off-white tiles?!

Road to hell, good intentions etc.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We lost our kitten...

*pause for dramatic effect*

He's fine; we just "lost" him when he managed to slink in behind one of us going into the laundry room, and got locked in for a couple of hours, and we couldn't find him when feeding time came around. We thought he was willingly hiding somewhere as he's wont to do, but it was the crash of cleaning supplies I heard while doing dishes that alerted me to the fact we weren't, in fact, being broken into, but a kitten was in the laundry room jumping around and knocking shit over. This cat is a fucking maniac.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Couple marten weasels decided to crawl up into the engine compartment of my car and just wreck shit in there. And because of the way the engine is built my mechanic can't get to the stuff that needs fixing without dismantling basically the entire engine. Yeah, shit's gonna cost me a penny.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Last visit ever to lovely old dairy shop closing due to people flocking to new mall.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Last visit ever to lovely old dairy shop closing due to people flocking to new mall.
What's a dairy shop? But that does suck. I'm surprised that malls are still a thing where you live. I mean, they are here, but we've successfully fucked our city planning and development into a bad enough state where malls flourish.