Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
So, 3-day passes for paddock access at Formula 1's Austin GP are... $35,000... PER PERSON.

I wanted to splurge. Y'know, treat myself to a dream experience on an F1 paddock. But apparently, if you you weren't born with a diamond-encrusted, gold-plated scrotum, that level of splurging is simply not for you. I'll watch from home, drink my 7-n-7s, and think about all the assholes I wish I was who're on the paddock and probably know jack shit about Formula 1, but thought it'd be "fun" to toss $35K to hang out with the drivers and crews for a few days.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a shit-ton of lottery tickets. I'm too good a guy for God to ignore me as he has my whole life (special nod to all those suffering poverty and disease around the world, but this is F1, and I love very few things more; let this first-world guy live his dream, then we'll feed you, house you, and cure your diseases.)
One of the great perks of my job, I can get tickets to all sorts of events I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. It does get more difficult the further up the cost tree the event is, but sometimes you can get fairly lucky. A while back I scored some all-access to a NASCAR race. Now... I don't care. I snapped them up because I could gift them, not because I give a rat's ass about NASCAR. My oldest brother is a big fan, and being a good little bro I gave him the pair of tickets. He took a pal who also loves NASCAR.

A couple of weeks later I see my brother for the first time since he went to the race. I was expecting him to thank me and tell me how awesome it was. But he wasn't bringing it up. That was kind of a red flag, something was wrong. So I asked my other brother if he knew what was up. Apparently the "all access" was for everything inside the event, but had no parking access with it. My brother and his pal wound up having to park almost a mile away. Normally there would be some kind of shuttle service, but they walked all the way to the gate and never saw it. It was also a very hot weekend. By the time they walked to the gate, into the park, out into the infield to look at things going on down there, and around the infield for a while...

The awesome thing I did for my brother resulted in a heat stroke. He's fine, but they wound up having to leave before the race even started. So, be careful if you manage to score that paddock. Just as important as figuring out access, is being prepared and able to enjoy the experience.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
So, something which i could have posted either here or in the What have you purchased recently? - Thread:

I bought myself the services of a lawyer. Man, i fucked up so many times.
Anything i touch goes wrong, small things slip my mind or my fucking mental problems stop me from doing things at all. I just want to be free... and for the freedom i need money...

And now i am paying a lawyer 300 euros to lower costs of a warning notice i got from another lawyer regarding a god-damn bittorrent link i drunkenly clicked a month ago. Didn't even watch the damn movie, didn't really want to - don't know why i downloaded and.. and WHY OH WHY WITH BITTORENT? Just slipped my mind while archiving some quasilegal stuff and BOOM: Give us a 1000 bucks. This is embarrassing - i am on the internet for fucking 27 years. I am a damn Sysadmin.

All in all in paying for work which was not done, warnings from the city for work not done, a fucking pirated movie and work done, but to costly and not affecting the problem (SHITWATER IN THE CELLAR i bucketcarried out myself) i have SAVED UP about a thousand euros this year. WHEN MY TARGET IS 10.000 a year.

Ah well, at least i lost big on investment, and bailed out extra-poor family with the rest so i have NOTHING SAVED left.

Great... Well good starting point in this super-stable economy to have to re-negotiate my payment for my apartment in half a year. This will be fun.
Fuck work, fuck economy, fuck "human condition" - i just want to eat ice-cream and play in the sun, man.

Yeah, i know not really a problem... not real suffering... just so annoying. So mundane, boring "money"-problems. Man, if you had told me as a child in what situation i would be.

Reactions: Absent

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
One of the great perks of my job, I can get tickets to all sorts of events I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. It does get more difficult the further up the cost tree the event is, but sometimes you can get fairly lucky. A while back I scored some all-access to a NASCAR race. Now... I don't care. I snapped them up because I could gift them, not because I give a rat's ass about NASCAR. My oldest brother is a big fan, and being a good little bro I gave him the pair of tickets. He took a pal who also loves NASCAR.

A couple of weeks later I see my brother for the first time since he went to the race. I was expecting him to thank me and tell me how awesome it was. But he wasn't bringing it up. That was kind of a red flag, something was wrong. So I asked my other brother if he knew what was up. Apparently the "all access" was for everything inside the event, but had no parking access with it. My brother and his pal wound up having to park almost a mile away. Normally there would be some kind of shuttle service, but they walked all the way to the gate and never saw it. It was also a very hot weekend. By the time they walked to the gate, into the park, out into the infield to look at things going on down there, and around the infield for a while...

The awesome thing I did for my brother resulted in a heat stroke. He's fine, but they wound up having to leave before the race even started. So, be careful if you manage to score that paddock. Just as important as figuring out access, is being prepared and able to enjoy the experience.
Man, that sucks all around. When I first moved to Texas, I was dating a co-worker who lived literally across the highway from The Texas Motor Speedway; we could see the circuit and hear the cars. I wasn't into NASCAR (or racing sports in general) at the time, but had I been, what weekends we could have had!

Sorry your brother had such a poor time and couldn't appreciate what you'd done for him. That was really cool, and in a perfect world would have been something to enjoy and remember. I don't plan on getting paddock access to an F1 event anytime in this lifetime, but if it happens, heat stroke, heart attack, aneurysm, etc., I don't care; leave me there; I'm taking it all in. Do not resuscitate; let me pass with my cheek on the circuit, the smell of burnt rubber in my nostrils, and drape my coffin with the checkered flag.

Reactions: Kyrian007

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I'm working nights on the weekend. That sucks but honestly it's no big deal so long as I can get my shit sorted.

What is a big deal is that the 20000 dollar hunk of technology I need to sort out half the night work is missing, with nobody on the sign out list. Glad I'm not the last guy that touched it but this weekend is non negotiable, I have one window to do this work and I have to use that device. Can't exactly run to the shop and get another.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm working nights on the weekend. That sucks but honestly it's no big deal so long as I can get my shit sorted.

What is a big deal is that the 20000 dollar hunk of technology I need to sort out half the night work is missing, with nobody on the sign out list. Glad I'm not the last guy that touched it but this weekend is non negotiable, I have one window to do this work and I have to use that device. Can't exactly run to the shop and get another.
I can sorta relate. I work in Supply Chain analytics, and was initially a part of a team that used a master folder on a shared drive space to house our group's personal folders and all of our work. One day, it disappeared, killing our operation for a day as we surmised that someone had deleted it. Once we got over a fair bit of panic and chaos, we optimistically ruled that out (given accidental deletion was a stretch,) I found someone had inadvertently dragged it into another folder. I moved it back above the folder it was dropped in, and we were back in business if a day behind. We still talk about it today like it was Y2K, a day we thought everything had ended until some casual common sense averted a massive crisis.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can sorta relate. I work in Supply Chain analytics, and was initially a part of a team that used a master folder on a shared drive space to house our group's personal folders and all of our work. One day, it disappeared, killing our operation for a day as we surmised that someone had deleted it. Once we got over a fair bit of panic and chaos, we optimistically ruled that out (given accidental deletion was a stretch,) I found someone had inadvertently dragged it into another folder. I moved it back above the folder it was dropped in, and we were back in business if a day behind. We still talk about it today like it was Y2K, a day we thought everything had ended until some casual common sense averted a massive crisis.
When you say drive, do you mean like... a local network drive?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I had to work with a client who was dealing with I think 7 terabytes of data on their local network drive. They were all work from home too, which meant accessing everything from a VPN. Awful experience, I felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I had to work with a client who was dealing with I think 7 terabytes of data on their local network drive. They were all work from home too, which meant accessing everything from a VPN. Awful experience, I felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time.
VPNs can be a nightmare depending on what you're expected to do over them. Accessing files is pretty routine, but execution can be crippling. For 3 years, I was given a task that I literally had to do every day, including my days off. Monday through Friday in the office, the process took like 15 minutes, but on Saturday and Sunday, I had to connect to our VPN to execute the process from home, and it took over 2 HOURS. I wasn't living with my girlfriend at the time, so I had to leave here, go to my apartment, and spend 4 hours of my days off to work. It became a running gag with us and a few friends who come over to swim; they called it "hatch duty" in reference to the infamous "hatch" from the TV show Lost where a poor guy had to go into the hatch to enter a series of numbers into a computer every day to avoid... God knows what.

Way off topic, but for closure to this very unimportant story, when I got moved to another function, they had me train another person to take over the 365-day a year task, then they decided it was no longer necessary after about a week, and the process was terminated. I was furious. No one knew what I had been tasked to do until someone else had to do it, and decided it wasn't necessary. Not to be dramatic, but I felt like a war veteran who came home after 3 years of active duty only to find that my nation ultimately didn't need my service, and my time was a complete waste.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Went to the local equivalent of the DMV yesterday for the yearly mandatory technical jnspection of my car. Was declared unfit for road use.

Because one of my tail lights was dimmer than the other. Not broken, just dimmer.

Now I get to spend some money and a bunch of time getting that 'fixed' for reinspection.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Went to the local equivalent of the DMV yesterday for the yearly mandatory technical jnspection of my car. Was declared unfit for road use.

Because one of my tail lights was dimmer than the other. Not broken, just dimmer.

Now I get to spend some money and a bunch of time getting that 'fixed' for reinspection.
Geez, and I thought when I got "failed" for missing a single lug nut was nitpicky. Now the question is do you have to pay for both the initial AND reinspection? Because, if so, that's levels of bullshittery I simply wouldn't accept.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Car problems all around! The battery light in my car came on when I started it this morning, so I took it to one of the local auto-parts shops to test it. Turns out the charging system is failing, which probably means the alternator, which is likely to be a several-hundred-dollar repair job. Fortunately I've got a credit card I use solely for auto repair, since it does six-month 0% interest for anything over a certain amount.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Car problems all around! The battery light in my car came on when I started it this morning, so I took it to one of the local auto-parts shops to test it. Turns out the charging system is failing, which probably means the alternator, which is likely to be a several-hundred-dollar repair job. Fortunately I've got a credit card I use solely for auto repair, since it does six-month 0% interest for anything over a certain amount.
My key FOB hadn't been working for months; I had to manually lock and unlock the door (first world problem, I know.) I finally got tired of it as yet another run to the grocery store found me chasing my cart through the parking lot as I needed to free my hands to get at my keys. I called around, and a lot of auto parts places cited several potential problems, and ALL pointed me towards the most hated of places: THE DEALERSHIP. I tucked tail, lubed up my credit card, and went to the dealership. They quoted me, sight unseen, $160 for a repair, $250 to replace the FOB. I expected to wait like an hour while they picked out the dildo they wanted to coil my small intestine around, but less than 5 minutes later, the guy came back out, and said it was fixed. Better yet? NO CHARGE. Completely free. I've been looking over my shoulder for days because that kind of good fortune doesn't come without a cost as some point. My engine's probably going to explode or something; you don't visit the dealership and leave "for free."

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Geez, and I thought when I got "failed" for missing a single lug nut was nitpicky. Now the question is do you have to pay for both the initial AND reinspection? Because, if so, that's levels of bullshittery I simply wouldn't accept.
Yes, pay for both. Initial inspection is about 50, the reinspection 15. I could complain, but that's pretty much pointless, because the inspection company will side with the inspector basically 100% of the time unless they did something really egregious, like getting handsy with a female customer or something. And the company has a monopoly, so I don't really have any other choice than to suck it up. I could go to a different inspection station, but then I'd have to pay for a full inspection again, plus additional fee for not getting reinspected at the station I initially went to.

I was just unlucky that inspector was a real stickler.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So my country's women's football team scored our first every goal in the world cup (and won the game to to boot). Fucking awesome.

What's not awesome is how football as a sport will continue to be ignored in favor of basketball, a sport only those who won the genetic lottery will ever have a chance of playing at the highest level. What is also not awesome is seeing our government take credit for this success (again), when they do absolutely fuck all to support our athletes (especially the female ones).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What's not awesome is how football as a sport will continue to be ignored in favor of basketball, a sport only those who won the genetic lottery will ever have a chance of playing at the highest level.
Is that not true of all sports, though?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is that not true of all sports, though?
Sure. But when your country has the 3rd shortest population in the whole world, hyperfixating on basketball is a really dumb fucking decision. I don't think anyone can dispute that height matters much more in basketball than it does in other sports.