Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
So, what seems like just a personal taste has made my entire life just simply harder.

Almost all cheese makes me gag. I had to learn to tolerate the smell because it's everywhere. EVERYWHERE. But it always means unless I'm going to an Asian Restaurant, I'm usually regulated to maybe 1/4 of the menu. Also, so many times do people not add that cheese is one of the ingredients because they consider it so ubiquitous that everyone loves cheese. That leads me to sending it back and waiting.

But.

There are times when I go all over myself to make sure that I'm not getting cheese on a burger. First off, I never say cheeseburger, for obvious reasons. I say a hamburger. That should be enough, right? Cheeseburger has cheese, Hamburger doesn't. Wrong. Again, people consider cheese so ubiquitous that they just hear "A Hamburger with Cheese on it" when you say Hamburger.

It's happened enough that I've made up a lie. That I'm allergic to cheese. That usually gets people's minds in gear. Or I add something else. It's easy to forget if you have to leave off only one thing. But if you remember there are two things you need to do, your mind holds on to "I need to do an action" more. It's onions for me. I don't like raw onions.

Last night, I went out around 9:30 pm for my dinner. Back in NY, I would have plenty of time and plenty of options of places I could get dinner, but this is florida. And I live with an elderly population. This was last call. I was so excited that I got to Culver's while it was still serving that I forgot the lie. I asked for a burger with no cheese and no onions. The lady read it back to me. No cheese, no onions. For the simple fact she read it back to me, and it was on the screen, I felt secure.

So, I got it, got home, and cheese. Melted on.

I was so damned pissed. Like, I get they are working a crap job. I've worked several. I've made mistakes as well. So I'm not waiting to go down to culver's, hoping I can catch someone walking out as they are finished closing up the restaurant, and yell at them for ruining my night. But yet and still... yeah, it ruined my night. I paid money for something I can't eat, I can't make it right, I have so few options to go back out and get something to eat at that point, I'm tired, and more importantly I'm still freaking hungry.

It really, really sucks to live in a world that almost universally loves something that makes you gag.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That sucks, were you ever able to get back into the area you were enjoying? There's always time for a lateral move.
Nope, I got dragged back to my old job (with some additional responsibilities,) and due to attrition over the years, looked up one day, and found I was the only person left would COULD do the job. I'm effectively stuck.

It really, really sucks to live in a world that almost universally loves something that makes you gag.
Welcome to my life with Popular music...

OT, I've mentioned before I've a similar aversion towards ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise, and you're right; they are so ubiquitous, a lot of places don't bother including them on the list of stuff on items on their menus. I've taken to talking down to people I order from. Not in mean or condescending way, just speaking clearly and slowly, sometimes to my detriment. When Burger Kings "Impossible Whopper" came out, curiosity got the better of me. I've never had a Whopper (or Big Mac, for that matter,) so when I ordered it, I said clearly that I didn't want any condiments on it. Apparently to the kid behind the counter, "condiments" and "toppings" are interchangeable terms because I got home to find my Impossible Whopper was just the patty and the bun. Needless to say, it was "impossible" to eat that bone-dry and naked meat pretender.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Stop sending me emails University of Chicago, I am not going to pad your numbers as an el1te college that rejects people so US News can say what an amazing college you are with so much academic r1gur. Also fuck colleges that force you to pay 50k a year, highway fucking robbery.

oh, and your economics sucks donkey balls and ruined America.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, anyone else here work in an industry/job or just know a skill that is wildly useful, but not many people know? Because, as both an auto technician and the only son in my family, it just kind of blows to be saddled with all of the 'car' related stuff everyone has. I don't even mind helping them out or anything, it's just that it either ends up happening while I'm at work (and adding to my workload), or it's during my weekends (which I get very few of, as I work 11/14 days every two weeks with alternate Saturdays and every Sunday off). Gonna be turning wrenches in my sleep...

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
So, anyone else here work in an industry/job or just know a skill that is wildly useful, but not many people know? Because, as both an auto technician and the only son in my family, it just kind of blows to be saddled with all of the 'car' related stuff everyone has. I don't even mind helping them out or anything, it's just that it either ends up happening while I'm at work (and adding to my workload), or it's during my weekends (which I get very few of, as I work 11/14 days every two weeks with alternate Saturdays and every Sunday off). Gonna be turning wrenches in my sleep...
Sounds like owning a truck; suddenly, you're everyone's go-to for moving day.

I don't have it nearly that bad as my skill set isn't as in high, routine demand, but I get a lot of Excel questions/requests for help from friends and co-workers. I once basically did my friend's job FOR her; she had a strict 1-hour deadline, and I was able to knock it out in about 5 minutes. She passed it off as her own work, and I was fine with that obviously, but then she panicked that they thought she could do "anything" in Excel, and she might be put on the spot when I couldn't help her. Fortunately this hasn't happened yet...

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sucks Lily Bergamo never got made; it was turned in to Let It Die. There is no reason not to bring the project back, Grasshopper. Y'all got more than enough money to spare.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I just saw a man visibly tear his ACL because he was following an OBVIOUSLY stupid TikTok/YouTube workout. Now I feel like throwing up because it looked horrifying, and also annoyed that there are people dumb enough to follow such routines and "influencers" pathetic enough to make them for clout.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I just saw a man visibly tear his ACL because he was following an OBVIOUSLY stupid TikTok/YouTube workout. Now I feel like throwing up because it looked horrifying, and also annoyed that there are people dumb enough to follow such routines and "influencers" pathetic enough to make them for clout.
They're called "influencers." I've never liked that title, the idea being that we've delineated "entertainers" from those who can actually impact culture and people's lives in an appreciable-enough way as to be designated "influencers." Weren't we taught as children to avoid peer pressure? Yet now we're ok with letting strangers influence us and "influencers" carry the title like a badge of honor.

Last edited:

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am sick of uncomfortable chairs at my college, they give me crazy back problems because they are optimally uncomfortable. They are "just barely comfortable to be bearable, but not enough that you could ever fall asleep in them or somesuch."

Even the fucking chairs in the US are designed for economic efficiency. Booooo.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It all stems from an ancient conceit: "They must be right; they're popular!"
Sorry, thought I'd already responded to this.

Is it a conceit or a concession? I can't wake up tomorrow, call myself an "influencer" and affect any real change; it's not a job I can apply for. But the collective others can wake up tomorrow and determine if the thoughts and actions I put on display are worthy of serious consideration and/or replication. I mean, the Jackass troupe is popular, but I never saw a massive wave of plebeian copycats allowing themselves to be kicked in the nuts.

"Influencer" is a title bestowed upon someone as their popularity merits when said popularity has led to substantive cultural (EDIT) societal change; my problem is why we've allowed the title to take on any positive connotation. "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you follow suit?" And the modern response is "well, how many followers do they have on Instagram, because maybe." It's dumb, but we've conceded as a people that there are a few of us who can affect change and indeed make a living via social media and no one seems to have a problem with that fact, that "influencer" is a title some seek despite the things they can influence being nominal to stupid at best.

Let "influencers" be the people who try to affect climate change or poverty or affordable healthcare; the jackasses who eat Tide pods should just be "idiots."

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Complaint: I won't be playing Sin Megami Tensei V despite really looking forward to it. I have a mild phobia of long hair and I can't get over the protagonists look and weird hair. It just bothers me too much to play a whole game looking at it. I wish it was customizable.

Follow up former complaint: I resigned Tuesday and my last day at work is 12/3. Just got screamed at by VPs a little too much over their launches getting delayed because everyones quiting, who then tell me I'm desperately needed and please don't quit. They even offered me a promotion which felt good, but too little too late. Not decided yet where life will take me. Already got two offers, but I kinda just want to chill for a month or two. Bought myself a Wacom 24" cintiq pro. Gonna work on my art stuff.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
TFW2005 is filled with snooty ass people who complain about everything and make false claims about you.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So, what seems like just a personal taste has made my entire life just simply harder.

Almost all cheese makes me gag. I had to learn to tolerate the smell because it's everywhere. EVERYWHERE. But it always means unless I'm going to an Asian Restaurant, I'm usually regulated to maybe 1/4 of the menu. Also, so many times do people not add that cheese is one of the ingredients because they consider it so ubiquitous that everyone loves cheese. That leads me to sending it back and waiting.

But.

There are times when I go all over myself to make sure that I'm not getting cheese on a burger. First off, I never say cheeseburger, for obvious reasons. I say a hamburger. That should be enough, right? Cheeseburger has cheese, Hamburger doesn't. Wrong. Again, people consider cheese so ubiquitous that they just hear "A Hamburger with Cheese on it" when you say Hamburger.

It's happened enough that I've made up a lie. That I'm allergic to cheese. That usually gets people's minds in gear. Or I add something else. It's easy to forget if you have to leave off only one thing. But if you remember there are two things you need to do, your mind holds on to "I need to do an action" more. It's onions for me. I don't like raw onions.

Last night, I went out around 9:30 pm for my dinner. Back in NY, I would have plenty of time and plenty of options of places I could get dinner, but this is florida. And I live with an elderly population. This was last call. I was so excited that I got to Culver's while it was still serving that I forgot the lie. I asked for a burger with no cheese and no onions. The lady read it back to me. No cheese, no onions. For the simple fact she read it back to me, and it was on the screen, I felt secure.

So, I got it, got home, and cheese. Melted on.

I was so damned pissed. Like, I get they are working a crap job. I've worked several. I've made mistakes as well. So I'm not waiting to go down to culver's, hoping I can catch someone walking out as they are finished closing up the restaurant, and yell at them for ruining my night. But yet and still... yeah, it ruined my night. I paid money for something I can't eat, I can't make it right, I have so few options to go back out and get something to eat at that point, I'm tired, and more importantly I'm still freaking hungry.

This reminds me, why does it have to be so difficult to remove melted cheese from dinner plates. Rhetorical of course, because if you try to answer a brain meltdown may occur from the frustration of just attempting it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I hate how my generation(Gen Z) loves uncomfortable clothing. Like really tight clothing. And if you wear comfortable clothing you are a nerd. No, fuck you gen z, I am neither smart enough to be a nerd since I don't have a computer science or engineering degree nor am I cool.

Fuck off both of you judging moronic groups.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Stop sending me emails University of Chicago, I am not going to pad your numbers as an el1te college that rejects people so US News can say what an amazing college you are with so much academic r1gur. Also fuck colleges that force you to pay 50k a year, highway fucking robbery.
Just a note to how shit the algorithms of tech giants are, I find I get some incredibly dumb adverts through them.

Look Facebook, I gifted you my workplace and job title in my personal details: you could not know better that I teach in higher education. But nooooo... instead just comb through my cookies and think to yourself "Hm, he looks at a lot of websites connected with that university, maybe we should try to persuade him to do a degree there?"

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
This reminds me, why does it have to be so difficult to remove melted cheese from dinner plates. Rhetorical of course, because if you try to answer a brain meltdown may occur from the frustration of just attempting it.
I have a strict policy of rinsing dinner plates immediately after use. I hate, I hate, I HATE people who put dishes in the sink with just-used residue still sitting in it them. My girlfriend argues that the dishwasher takes care of it; fuck that. Rinse that shit off like a capable, civilized human being!!!

I hate how my generation(Gen Z) loves uncomfortable clothing. Like really tight clothing. And if you wear comfortable clothing you are a nerd. No, fuck you gen z, I am neither smart enough to be a nerd since I don't have a computer science or engineering degree nor am I cool.

Fuck off both of you judging moronic groups.
I've never been one to adhere to the fashion trends of my or any generation, but watching "these kids" these days in skinny jeans, has brought out the inner curmudgeonly old man in me. Have some fucking dignity.

Also the hair. The young men running around with literal mops on their heads make me want to snatch everyone I see and buzz cut them. I never thought I'd be that person as I went through the phase of my friends wearing their jeans backwards because Kriss Kross did it without even flinching.

Basically, I'm completely out on doing what everyone else does because "cool." These idiotic youngsters need to learn to think for themselves. Copycatting trends has never been something I understood or respected. My biggest hope is that the skinny jeans make all of them sterile, and their conformist genes are choked out of the gene pool.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I have a strict policy of rinsing dinner plates immediately after use. I hate, I hate, I HATE people who put dishes in the sink with just-used residue still sitting in it them. My girlfriend argues that the dishwasher takes care of it; fuck that. Rinse that shit off like a capable, civilized human being!!!
That’s the thing though, is it gets caked and baked in before we’re even done eating, and it’s especially bad using freshly shredded cheeses as toppings on stuff like enchiladas and scrambled eggs. Then it gets all stuck in the dish wand unless you use a special rubber cleaning pad that rinses better first. Sometimes it’s actually easier to let that shit soak in hot soapy water for a half hour or so until it’s easy enough to rinse off. Or at least enough that the dishwasher can get the rest off.

Having said that, I never used a dishwasher when I was single. Really wasn’t much of a point since it was mostly a waste of hot water for the few dishes that are easy enough to finish cleaning when they’re being rinsed off for the dishwasher. It’s mostly beneficial and a time saver with a family.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My biggest hope is that the skinny jeans make all of them sterile, and their conformist genes are choked out of the gene pool.
As a Gen Z-er, I am confused, because as far as I can tell, "my" generation leans towards wearing whatever is comfy. People still chase trends of course, that will never change, but the trends seem to be trending towards wearing looser clothing. Sweatshirts and sweatpants, baggy pants, oversized sweatshirts, etc. Very "retro" inspired. Could just be my country of course, but we are still heavily influenced by Western culture.

Hell, there was even some dumb inter-generational Tiktok war about skinny jeans. 'No skinny jeans': Gen Z launch TikTok attack on millennial fashion

I'm personally glad that oversized clothes are all the rage these days, cuz as a big dude in a hot ass country, tight fitting clothes are fucking hell. I'm also glad that I go to a university where everyone is so diverse, making fun of people's clothing is pointless. I've seen people dressed up in trenchcoats and leather boots (in our tropical ass climate) in the same classroom as a guy literally wearing the clothes he woke up in. I haven't experienced the "let's judge people by clothes" thing since high school.