Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
So, suspiciously at near midnight on New Years Eve/Day, the heat in my apartment stopped working. I put in a work order for maintenance to fix the problem, but it is a weekend and a holiday so I'm still waiting for a fix. Now it isn't end of the world cold. Outside it has been anywhere from 5 to 13 degrees F (roughly -15 to -10 or so C) at night and so it could be bad, but the ductwork in my building connects me to several units who's heating is working. The upside is that indoors at worst it has been about 40 F (4 or 5 or so C) and at best in the day about 60 F (16 C.) That's livable, and I'm a cold weather person. Had the reverse happened in the summer I'd have stayed elsewhere, but in winter I can tough this out. But it isn't comfortable. And this is an apartment complex where ongoing water issues has water shut off to the property for a couple of hours 2 or 3 times a week for the last 6 months. I put up with it because it is less than a mile from where I work, but it hasn't been a great start to the new year.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My phone has started giving me a weird green screen occasionally, so I'm in the market for a new one. My complaint is that this always happens on the eve of a newer/better model. I'm going to pay full-price for a new phone only to have it outdated within weeks. I know "outdated" doesn't mean "functionally inept," but something about paying $1,000 for a phone that's going to sell for half of that in a month pisses me off, and I always find myself in this predicament. Then the providers love being so cryptic about their release dates; I can't just Google "when is the next Galaxy Note phone coming out;" all I get are hints of "maybe January or February if at all..." Not sure when I fell into this cadence of eligibility for a new phone just before the release of better phones, but it's a vicious cycle I've found myself in for the better part of a decade and a half.

TL;DR? I'm getting the current latest Samsung Galaxy phone, so the better one will be out in about two weeks. You're welcome.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
!
I may have actually done this yesterday. That tap at the bottom of the heater can take standard hose connections, which make it perfect for hosing down the artificial grass patch my sister's dog uses on our porch which I just took care of. Handy to know, thanks.
If you also aren't getting hot water for very long, it might be that the dip tube has a hole or something. I think that's pretty common.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It’s deceiving though since just imagine how strong he probably feels now, not having to lug all that extra weight around. If anything his skin is probably now the weakest link.
I'm not sure what you actually meant by this, but I'm imagining him deciding to have his skin removed in order to lose more weight in order to become even more powerful.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm not sure what you actually meant by this, but I'm imagining him deciding to have his skin removed in order to lose more weight in order to become even more powerful.

It's really not much different than lifting weights. If you weigh 500+ pounds and you lose half of it, your muscles will have far less of a burden to deal with. The skin comment was basically a joke based on how saggy and wrinkly it now looks because of the weight loss.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Reddit sucks! I was trying to start a discussion on r/books on Harry Potter by posting a link to a really good blog post I found talking about the series and I think I've been banned from the subreddit. I don't even know because I never got a message about why my post was removed and when I tried to make another one it was also immediately removed. What are you even supposed to do to get a discussion going, without actually typing out 15k words yourself? Stupid fricking site.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
This happens far too often. I watch a video mocking those sigma grindset weirdos, for the next week all I get are actual sigma/alpha/omega/gamma/whatever videos on my recommended.
There is an unfortunate crossover between powerlifting and the sigma/grinndset demo (a little antivax in there too). Wildly frustrating. Like I used to do stand up and it really annoyed me when people got their political arguments from comedians. Now I'm interested in powerlifting and have to deal with people getting their political arguments from those guys.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There is an unfortunate crossover between powerlifting and the sigma/grinndset demo (a little antivax in there too). Wildly frustrating. Like I used to do stand up and it really annoyed me when people got their political arguments from comedians. Now I'm interested in powerlifting and have to deal with people getting their political arguments from those guys.
Jesus, I had almost the exact the same problem. I watched instructional weightlifting videos, some men's fashion videos, and both led me to be being recommended grindset and alpha videos. Quite annoying. It does at times make you want to disassociate yourself with the topics, but I try to tell myself that they're probably the vocal minority.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
It's really not much different than lifting weights. If you weigh 500+ pounds and you lose half of it, your muscles will have far less of a burden to deal with. The skin comment was basically a joke based on how saggy and wrinkly it now looks because of the weight loss.
I would argue that the gradual nature of the weight loss would have the opposite effect of progressive overload. A lot of fat guys end up weaker after a long period of weight loss depending on their training routine. There's also the potential for muscle loss if he went on a crash diet. That being said as a formerly obese person the difference in your joints actually is unbelievable.

I also realised I misunderstood what you said but I'm gonna leave my post as is.
Jesus, I had almost the exact the same problem. I watched instructional weightlifting videos, some men's fashion videos, and both led me to be being recommended grindset and alpha videos. Quite annoying. It does at times make you want to disassociate yourself with the topics, but I try to tell myself that they're probably the vocal minority.
Yeah for the most part the actual pages/channels I follow do not go into that bullshit. Some kinda lean that way but stick to their lane and just post what people are following them for with the odd post that makes me roll my eyes. And some I had to stop following entirely because they went absolutely fucking batshit insane since the start of covid.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Reddit sucks! I was trying to start a discussion on r/books on Harry Potter by posting a link to a really good blog post I found talking about the series and I think I've been banned from the subreddit. I don't even know because I never got a message about why my post was removed and when I tried to make another one it was also immediately removed. What are you even supposed to do to get a discussion going, without actually typing out 15k words yourself? Stupid fricking site.
I gave up on several sub-reddits when my posts were automatically moderated for having low karma or the bot thinking I posted about X when my post was actually about Y.

Fuck any sub-reddit with auto moderation.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Got my Moderna booster the other day, and the lymph nodes in my left armpit is swollen. It feels reallllly unsettling. And super uncomfortable in our hot ass climate.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Reddit sucks!
No further elaboration was required; but it was appreciated.

OT: I'm a big advocate for the bright, the colourful and the arch in media. I love stuff that has a grand scope with great villains, noble heroes and all that shit. Its why I mainline the MCU the way the cast of Trainspotting mainline heroin. Yet I find that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - something that as far as I've observed contains all the individual things I love and combines them ANIME - leaves me cold and wanting to be in the other room. And I'm treating it as a personal failing because the issue can't be with something that theoretically awesome. Its gotta be me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm a big advocate for the bright, the colourful and the arch in media. I love stuff that has a grand scope with great villains, noble heroes and all that shit. Its why I mainline the MCU the way the cast of Trainspotting mainline heroin. Yet I find that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - something that as far as I've observed contains all the individual things I love and combines them ANIME - leaves me cold and wanting to be in the other room. And I'm treating it as a personal failing because the issue can't be with something that theoretically awesome. Its gotta be me.
What parts have you tried watching? I was pretty bored by Part 1, didn't finish most of Part 2, and skipped a bit in Part 3. I personally find Jojo more entertaining as bits and clips posted on YouTube. Binging it can really make it feel like its dragging.

Also not sure if I would necessarily say Jojo has a grand scope, especially towards the later parts. The overarching is easily the worst part of the show for me.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
No further elaboration was required; but it was appreciated.

OT: I'm a big advocate for the bright, the colourful and the arch in media. I love stuff that has a grand scope with great villains, noble heroes and all that shit. Its why I mainline the MCU the way the cast of Trainspotting mainline heroin. Yet I find that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure - something that as far as I've observed contains all the individual things I love and combines them ANIME - leaves me cold and wanting to be in the other room. And I'm treating it as a personal failing because the issue can't be with something that theoretically awesome. Its gotta be me.
I wasn't able to get into Jojo either. I just didn't find it very interesting. Just a bunch of empty posturing and melodrama. I watched part 1, skipped part 2, and watched 18 episodes of part 3 before just kind of stopping watching. I meant to finish part 3 since there's only 6 more episodes but I just can't seem to get around to it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I watched 18 episodes of part 3 before just kind of stopping watching. I meant to finish part 3 since there's only 6 more episodes but I just can't seem to get around to it.
Lol, I'm afraid you actually have 20 more episodes to go before you finish Part 3.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A Windows 10 update forced me to do a hard reset on my laptop. Thanks, Microsoft.

Edit:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What parts have you tried watching? I was pretty bored by Part 1, didn't finish most of Part 2,
I watched part 1, skipped part 2, and watched 18 episodes of part 3 before just kind of stopping watching. I meant to finish part 3 since there's only 6 more episodes but I just can't seem to get around to it.
And skipping Part 2 was your first mistake. Parts 2, 5, & 6 (so far) have the best pacing. I'll contest to that. Part 2 is just straight up goofy fun, yet it knows when to get serious and it works. You're there for the camp, the characters, and the use of tactics and strategy. That's always been a thing with Jojo, aside from Part 1. Part 1 is fine, but it's Castlevania combined with semi-bizzaro Fist of the Northstar. At least with Part 1, it does not last long in the anime. The manga version on the the other hand is so much worse.

Part 3 has the worst pacing. It's an unpopular opinion in the Japanese fandom, most of the outside of Japan consider it true. Jotaro is a cool character and so is the main cast, but it uses monster of the week too much. There are episodes you could skip, and you would not miss anything. Once they get to Egypt, things pick up super quick. But even then, the Egypt Arc had 1 or 2 lackluster/skippable episodes. Part 4's main issue is that it takes a while for it to get going. Also, there are some characters that weren't needed or should have appeared only the one time. Still Part 4 has the better pacing over Part 3. Also, it's where Stand battles were getting super creative.

Also, @Drathnoxis, it's not just emptying posturing and melodrama. Those complaints belong to a whole bunch of anime that fits that description. You can arguably make a case for Part 1, but that honestly can only go to Johnathan's father, George Joestar. His father is such a dumb-ass and jackass. We can agree on that.

The overarching is easily the worst part of the show for me.
Depends on the part you are talking about. Part 3 technically has the worst overarching plot; only because it takes forever to get towards DIo. The best overarching plot is Parts 2 and 4. Part 1's overarching plot is just simple and that is okay. Just heads up, even though John is the main character of Part 1, it's more about Dio's downfall to villainy than anything about Johnathan. That said, John is still a good character and has his growth too.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And skipping Part 2 was your first mistake. Parts 2, 5, & 6 (so far) have the best pacing. I'll contest to that. Part 2 is just straight up goofy fun, yet it knows when to get serious and it works. You're there for the camp, the characters, and the use of tactics and strategy. That's always been a thing with Jojo, aside from Part 1. Part 1 is fine, but it's Castlevania combined with semi-bizzaro Fist of the Northstar. At least with Part 1, it does not last long in the anime. The manga version on the the other hand is so much worse.

Part 3 has the worst pacing. It's an unpopular opinion in the Japanese fandom, most of the outside of Japan consider it true. Jotaro is a cool character and so is the main cast, but it uses monster of the week too much. There are episodes you could skip, and you would not miss anything. Once they get to Egypt, things pick up super quick. But even then, the Egypt Arc had 1 or 2 lackluster/skippable episodes. Part 4's main issue is that it takes a while for it to get going. Also, there are some characters that weren't needed or should have appeared only the one time. Still Part 4 has the better pacing over Part 3. Also, it's where Stand battles were getting super creative.

Also, @Drathnoxis, it's not just emptying posturing and melodrama. Those complaints belong to a whole bunch of anime that fits that description. You can arguably make a case for Part 1, but that honestly can only go to Johnathan's father, George Joestar. His father is such a dumb-ass and jackass. We can agree on that.

Depends on the part you are talking about. Part 3 technically has the worst overarching plot; only because it takes forever to get towards DIo. The best overarching plot is Parts 2 and 4. Part 1's overarching plot is just simple and that is okay. Just heads up, even though John is the main character of Part 1, it's more about Dio's downfall to villainy than anything about Johnathan. That said, John is still a good character and has his growth too.
I just wanted the show to hurry up and get to stands to find out what everybody was always talking about. I didn't really stop watching because it was terrible, but it wasn't super captivating and most of the time I'd just rather watch SGF playing video games, and he does so much of that there's not much of a need to watch anything else. Also, the site I was watching Jojo on doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
How come my brain is never happy?

I'm 31. I have a good job making pretty decent money, I have a college degree, my own house, my own car. I get 6 weeks of vacation a year (in the US), I've traveled the world. I'm reasonably good looking, healthy, in pretty good shape. By basically all metrics I've been decently successful in life.

Despite all this I'm always anxious, I'm always feeling like I'm missing out on something, like life is supposed to be a big adventure that I've never had. Like I'm supposed to make accomplishments for other people to be impressed by. Our society has hard wired my brain to only be interested in outside recognition, but all of the pats on the back and gold stars don't really cut it.

Why can't I just be happy with what I have? Is this all there is to existence? I keep telling myself that all I need is more money so that I can retire early. I keep telling myself that I'll be happy with more freedom and free time, when I can stop working and dedicate myself to hobbies, but I'm pretty sure I'm just lying to myself to get through existence.

Fuck, is this what a mid-life crisis is? Is this the part where I buy a motorcycle? I kinda really want a motorcycle.

Elden Ring will be out in a month, that will dull the existential dread for a while.

Reactions: Xprimentyl