Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The data on the SD card that I was using for my 3d printer got corrupted and I lost all the files on it. Like an idiot I did not back-up the files on my computer.

It's not the biggest loss in the world, I had already printed most of the files I had on that card, but there were a couple of simple 3D models that I'll have to remake, and some profile info that I'm going to have to remake and re-apply to the printer.
Remember: All memory is volatile memory.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My girlfriend is starting a new job in a week or so that's going to require her standing on her feet for several hours. She has very high arches, so decided to go to the Good Feet Store which we've seen countless ads for over the past couple of years to see if they might offer something to help support her. $1,400 later, she comes home with three sets of plastic inserts. FOUR. TEEN. HUNDRED. DOLLARS. I wanted to strangle her. I STILL want to strangle her; she's napping right now, and I'm seriously considering it. I should have gone with her because as savvy as she thinks she is, she can't say "no" to anyone, so I guarantee she got sold on a bunch of shit she didn't need. She tried to reassure me (as I was vomiting blood out of pure rage) that they're good for 6 years, as if that's any consolation. I've got tons of pieces of plastic that have lasted me a lot longer than 6 years and didn't cost me $1,400. If she's not doing backflips and trying out for the US Olympic gymnastics teams by this Friday because of those damn inserts, I'm going to hobble her like Kathy Bates did James Caan in Misery, and I'll do that for free.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My girlfriend is starting a new job in a week or so that's going to require her standing on her feet for several hours. She has very high arches, so decided to go to the Good Feet Store which we've seen countless ads for over the past couple of years to see if they might offer something to help support her. $1,400 later, she comes home with three sets of plastic inserts. FOUR. TEEN. HUNDRED. DOLLARS. I wanted to strangle her. I STILL want to strangle her; she's napping right now, and I'm seriously considering it. I should have gone with her because as savvy as she thinks she is, she can't say "no" to anyone, so I guarantee she got sold on a bunch of shit she didn't need. She tried to reassure me (as I was vomiting blood out of pure rage) that they're good for 6 years, as if that's any consolation. I've got tons of pieces of plastic that have lasted me a lot longer than 6 years and didn't cost me $1,400. If she's not doing backflips and trying out for the US Olympic gymnastics teams by this Friday because of those damn inserts, I'm going to hobble her like Kathy Bates did James Caan in Misery, and I'll do that for free.
Pardon my French, but what the actual fuck. I have flat feet so I've had to get insoles in the past, but I can't imagine how one could be worth more than 100 bucks, much less around 400.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Pardon my French, but what the actual fuck. I have flat feet so I've had to get insoles in the past, but I can't imagine how one could be worth more than 100 bucks, much less around 400.
They need to call themselves the "Great" Feet Store for those prices. They do an assessment of your feet and custom make the inserts for you, but none of it was worth $1,400. For that price, she should be walking on water right now.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
They need to call themselves the "Great" Feet Store for those prices. They do an assessment of your feet and custom make the inserts for you, but none of it was worth $1,400. For that price, she should be walking on water right now.
For $1400 I'd want new feet.

Also, I'd want the store to be called "Mate, BEST fuckin Feet ever!"

OTOH, if you know someone with a 3D scanner and a 3D printer they'll be MUCH cheaper in the future.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ah. Custom, that makes "sense". If I may ask what drove her to buy 3 pairs?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah. Custom, that makes "sense". If I may ask what drove her to buy 3 pairs?
She got three pair because, almost like a regimen provided by an actual doctor, there's a pair to wear for the first part of the day that "strengthens" her arches, a pair to wear throughout her workday that "maintains" her arches, and finally a pair to wear in the evening that "relaxes" her arches. That's where I'm pretty sure she got sold a bill of goods; she doesn't "need" all of that, but not unlike when you take your car to the dealership for an oil change, they "conveniently" find nine other things they can "conveniently" fix at x4 the price anywhere else could. I guarantee you she walked in thinking she'd get a single set, but the salesperson started tacking on "what was best for her," and she nodded and handed over her credit card.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think you and your girlfriend need to talk more. Not in the random conversational sense, but communicate what you're both doing with high end financial decisions like that one. If I spent $1400 of mine and my wife's money with ZERO consultation (bar averting my imminent death) I'd be up before an Inquisitor like shit through a goose.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think you and your girlfriend need to talk more. Not in the random conversational sense, but communicate what you're both doing with high end financial decisions like that one. If I spent $1400 of mine and my wife's money with ZERO consultation (bar averting my imminent death) I'd be up before a Inquisitor like shit through a goose.
We communicate just fine, and have separate accounts; neither of us are strapped for cash. She spent her $1,400, and could afford it; I just complained because of what she spent it on, just like she'd be pissed if I spent $1,400 of my money on something equally unnecessary.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
She got three pair because, almost like a regimen provided by an actual doctor, there's a pair to wear for the first part of the day that "strengthens" her arches, a pair to wear throughout her workday that "maintains" her arches, and finally a pair to wear in the evening that "relaxes" her arches. That's where I'm pretty sure she got sold a bill of goods; she doesn't "need" all of that, but not unlike when you take your car to the dealership for an oil change, they "conveniently" find nine other things they can "conveniently" fix at x4 the price anywhere else could. I guarantee you she walked in thinking she'd get a single set, but the salesperson started tacking on "what was best for her," and she nodded and handed over her credit card.
Your story of course made me feel like complete garbage. You know that I work in radio. Several of the talent folks here have Good Feet deals. Not one of mine, mine is a tire and oil change place. But still, I could have told you what to expect. Just a heads up to you and any of the escapists really, the sales execs here (the ones that actually try the products, the on-air talent doesn't usually) talk. I get the skinny on a lot of products and services that are heavily advertised and generally have a pretty good idea of what is just a great product or service that hasn't gotten a lot of buzz yet... and which are garbage and borderline scams.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Your story of course made me feel like complete garbage. You know that I work in radio. Several of the talent folks here have Good Feet deals. Not one of mine, mine is a tire and oil change place. But still, I could have told you what to expect. Just a heads up to you and any of the escapists really, the sales execs here (the ones that actually try the products, the on-air talent doesn't usually) talk. I get the skinny on a lot of products and services that are heavily advertised and generally have a pretty good idea of what is just a great product or service that hasn't gotten a lot of buzz yet... and which are garbage and borderline scams.
Meh, no need to feel bad; you had no way of knowing she was looking into this snake oil of a foot pain remedy. And like I said in another post, she could afford it, but it was just a dumb way to spend a substantial amount of money.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Fuck these fucking heat waves. You know, you can only take so many clothes off. At least in winter you can just bundle up. And my winter heating bills are always much less than summer when AC is putting in work.
That's what I've been saying for 12 years since moving to Texas from Ohio. All the locals point and laugh when I complain about the heat and how much they prefer the heat to the cold, but let it drop below 60 degrees and watch all these Texas tough guys wonder why I'm still comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt and not huddled around a 50-gallon drum fire wearing two coats, gloves and a balaclava with them.

That said, yes, the heat has been quite punishing. Our pool, which is typically our respite from the heat, is basically bath water, the only relief coming from soaking ourselves, then getting out to sit in front of a fan while the water evaporates off of us.

I can't wait for fall or even winter at this rate. Cold is cold, but you can always bundle up and stay comfortable; in this kind of heat, short of peeling off your skin or running your A/C nonstop racking up insane electrical bills (while the power companies are begging you NOT to,) you just have to suck it up.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Meh, no need to feel bad; you had no way of knowing she was looking into this snake oil of a foot pain remedy. And like I said in another post, she could afford it, but it was just a dumb way to spend a substantial amount of money.
Well a couple things as consolation. First: the inserts aren't a bad product, just a vastly overpriced product. They will help and they are fairly "rugged," not wearing out for a long time. They are easily not worth the incredible price tag, but they work. Second: if they are working for her, maybe do what one of my friends did. He bought the inserts. His brother is an engineer. His brother programmed the exact dimensions of each insert into some CAD software, coming up with an exact 3d model. My friend himself runs a shop that makes custom washers, o-rings, seals, and gaskets. He was able to approximate the insert material out of some o-ring rubber covered in some molefoam like gasket material, and get it all cut and molded to the dimensions. He said they weren't quite as good as the originals, but only the gasket material would wear. So every couple of years all he has to do is cut a few replacements to replace the worn ones. Now this was years ago, before 3d printing became pretty common. It's probably even easier to scan the inserts and craft replacements these days.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well a couple things as consolation. First: the inserts aren't a bad product, just a vastly overpriced product. They will help and they are fairly "rugged," not wearing out for a long time. They are easily not worth the incredible price tag, but they work. Second: if they are working for her, maybe do what one of my friends did. He bought the inserts. His brother is an engineer. His brother programmed the exact dimensions of each insert into some CAD software, coming up with an exact 3d model. My friend himself runs a shop that makes custom washers, o-rings, seals, and gaskets. He was able to approximate the insert material out of some o-ring rubber covered in some molefoam like gasket material, and get it all cut and molded to the dimensions. He said they weren't quite as good as the originals, but only the gasket material would wear. So every couple of years all he has to do is cut a few replacements to replace the worn ones. Now this was years ago, before 3d printing became pretty common. It's probably even easier to scan the inserts and craft replacements these days.
No consolation necessary; I don't think she plans on doing anything further regarding the Goof Feet products. The damage is done; she opted to pay outright instead of financing (the little fact she glossed over that intrigued me to ask what she finally paid,) so outside of this sales person calling on the 3rd and 10th day to "check up" (whatever the fuck THAT means,) I don't think she'll be needing to repeat this process any time soon.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Feeling very overwhelmed this week. I have like 5-6 tickets in my bucket I said I'd get done by next thursday. It's my own fault I should have just said no.
  • Build and test interfaces for two new network products on a new switch thats...eh.
  • Build DHCP for those products and their client boxes, with a bunch of options/suboptions
  • Build a new VM instance with dual networks
  • Install a new customer orchestrator on that VM which is on like alpha three and is picky about port mapping
  • Then test all that shit and prove it..basically works?
  • and tomorrow I gotta write a class on how to proper technical story writing
I am drowning and my leadership knows it and I'm just bleeeeeegh about everything. I also need to redo about 50flt of mulch including removing all the weeds and mulch and I literally have nothing, not even a shovel. I could pay somebody like $800, but christ thats a lot of money. Its that or spend all saturday and sunday on it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
My very thought every time I share a ticket... with me on the bad side of the equation

1659097951934.png

Reactions: Thaluikhain