Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Times are changing. I personally hate any kind of formal/semiformal dress, i.e.: polos, button-ups, slacks, and don't get me started on suits. I could wear jeans and t-shirts year round and for every occasion. At my funeral (assuming it's an open-casket; I do have a few enemies that might make it a messy affair,) I want to be laid to rest wearing my favorite t-shirt. Should bring at least a few inappropriate chuckles to what I hope is a somber occasion.

View attachment 6501

Is there a particular issue you have with bamboo? Like is it invasive or just the fact that it can grow relatively densely and obstruct vision?
It is both invasive, and can grow very dense. It also digs in hardcore like CasualShinji said. So getting rid of it is a hell of a project.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Some ad about some fuel mix talking about "protection" and featuring a guy looking at a kid sleeping in a baby seat in the car.

"Protection" in this case is about less corrosion and less fouling of the engine, nothing to do with keeping kids safe.

We're not much better today, but humans from "simpler times" were a twisted lot. I went to Medieval Times, y'know, the family friendly place where they re-enact medieval duals and games while you eat with your hands? They have a museum that displays medieval torture devices, and let's just say they evoked some imagery that made it hard to stomach my food afterwards. Look up "pear of anguish" and "breast ripper;" yeah, KIDS were reading about and seeing these things before going to see the horsies.
Oh yeah, those. The breast ripper would be fairly simple to make, but someone would have to go to a lot of effort to make a functioning pear, in advance of having someone to torture, which seems worse.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
...someone would have to go to a lot of effort to make a functioning pear, in advance of having someone to torture, which seems worse.
Exactly. Medieval torture seems it was more for self-gratification and masochism than extending punishment. A simple beheading is quick and never fails; however, dropping off the blueprints at a local blacksmith to forge a device to stick in a person's ass that then blooms to painfully mutilate them seems... overly elaborate and takes a lot more thought from some seriously dark places.

Tangentially, whenever I heard the name "Jack the Ripper," it always conjured the image of comically sinister, mustache-twirling children's cartoon villain wearing a top hat slinking off into the night on the toes of his pointy shoes. Then I saw a picture of one of his victims, Mary Jane Kelly (look it up if you want; I don't want to see it again to link to it.) Jesus, no. He was a seriously sick and violent fuck on par with, if not worse than, your Dahmers, Geins and Gacys. Apparently, he was only attributed to 5 murders, low by today's standard of serial killer, but if they all looked like that when he finished, 5 is an astronomical number.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Exactly. Medieval torture seems it was more for self-gratification and masochism than extending punishment. A simple beheading is quick and never fails; however, dropping off the blueprints at a local blacksmith to forge a device to stick in a person's ass that then blooms to painfully mutilate them seems... overly elaborate and takes a lot more thought from some seriously dark places.
Actually, beheadings often didn't work that well, because he executioner often didn't want to be killing people and had a lot of alcoholic help, so missing the neck and hitting the shoulders or something the first couple of times was not uncommon. The guillotine gets a bad rep, but was originally intended to be more humane by taking the human element out and making it quick. Previously they'd tie victims to something and club them to death as well.

Tangentially, whenever I heard the name "Jack the Ripper," it always conjured the image of comically sinister, mustache-twirling children's cartoon villain wearing a top hat slinking off into the night on the toes of his pointy shoes. Then I saw a picture of one of his victims, Mary Jane Kelly (look it up if you want; I don't want to see it again to link to it.) Jesus, no. He was a seriously sick and violent fuck on par with, if not worse than, your Dahmers, Geins and Gacys. Apparently, he was only attributed to 5 murders, low by today's standard of serial killer, but if they all looked like that when he finished, 5 is an astronomical number.
Yeah, he's one that's gotten some weird celebrity criminal status and somehow made cool, which is disturbing for various reasons.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bamboo grows with these horizontal roots that sprout new stems along the way. So simply cutting it won't fix much, you need to dig up the roots and get rid of all of it, or it'll just spread again. 12 years ago when I started living where I do now there was no bamboo in my front and backyard, but it was at the neighbors. Now this shit is fucking everywhere in my yard. I try to cut it out of the ground as deep as I can, and sometimes I pull foot long roots out of the ground, but so long as that shit is still in my neighbor's yard it'll just spread to my yard again. And this shit grows hard. There's a little area between a shed and fench that I can't reach, and the bamboo there is like 15-feet high.
Not bamboo, but I have blackberry brambles in my yard. That's much the same but you have to wear thick gardening gloves to grab it without tearing up your hands.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not bamboo, but I have blackberry brambles in my yard. That's much the same but you have to wear thick gardening gloves to grab it without tearing up your hands.
I actually had one of those too until recently. Had it for the better part of 11 years as a matter of fact. I found it fairly easy to manage, but in the last couple of years it pretty much functioned as aphid chow. Couldn't get rid of them, and I was growing a bit tired of the darn thing anyway so I chopped the whole thing out of the ground. Though I did find stalks of it growing out of the ground on the other side of the yard. Weird stuff.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Then, as now, there were a lot of people who thought that punishing others for their sins would distract God from the sins of the one doing the punishing.
If true, that's utterly ridiculous by popular, Christian beliefs. "Distract God?" I mean, I was able to sneak out of the house a few times with my parents none the wiser, but I was under no delusion they created said house and everything in it (including myself) from literally nothing, and felt I could effectively deceive them upon prescribing such characteristics to them as omniscience, but ok.

There's a comedian (David Huntsberger) who does a bit about so-called God-fearing, Bible-thumping people who get caught in in salacious activities. He is himself an atheist, but admitted that he wouldn't be surprised if there was a heaven and hell upon his death. He'd be in hell standing next to some megachurch evangelist who got caught in a homosexual relation or performing cannibalism, and his sentiments were basically: "I didn't believe, so there's no surprise I'm here, but you actually believed that shit and still did what you did anyway?" Always hits home.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Reading the synopsis of a drama set in "Ireland". Which Ireland, North or Republic of? You don't say set in "the Iberian Peninsula", you say Spain or Portugal or whatever.

Also, things filmed in the British Isles should not have better weather than where I live.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
How's this for a sales tactic: our current electricity provider is raising our per kilowatt hour rate from $0.11/kwh to $0.15/kwh, so we called a competitor to shop around and test the market, and this new company offered us $0.10/kwh... for the next 3 months, then our rate would jump up to $0.20/kwh.

Seriously? Are people really that readily dumb that this saleswoman would even offer a clearly worse rate with a straight face? We literally called seeking a lower rate, and instead of just being honest and saying "we can't match that in the long term," they condescend with a lower rate for 3 whole months before locking us in at a rate nearly twice what we currently have and 25% higher than the rate we'd be facing if we just stayed with who we've got.
Oh, and after hearing our completely reasonable reticence towards her initial offer, she "talked to her manager," and was able to offer us $0.13/kwh for 36 months. As much as that sounds better, just like at a car dealership, once you lose credibility with an absurd initial offer, then suddenly pull a better one out of your ass when you realize you might lose the sale, I'd rather just not do business with you. We're likely going to end up sticking with the devil we know, but for now, still shopping...

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Oh, and after hearing our completely reasonable reticence towards her initial offer, she "talked to her manager," and was able to offer us $0.13/kwh for 36 months.
Heh. That gave me a chuckle. Can't even imagine being able to switch electricity providers though. We've only had a single option available since I was born.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
How's this for a sales tactic: our current electricity provider is raising our per kilowatt hour rate from $0.11/kwh to $0.15/kwh, so we called a competitor to shop around and test the market, and this new company offered us $0.10/kwh... for the next 3 months, then our rate would jump up to $0.20/kwh.

Seriously? Are people really that readily dumb that this saleswoman would even offer a clearly worse rate with a straight face? We literally called seeking a lower rate, and instead of just being honest and saying "we can't match that in the long term," they condescend with a lower rate for 3 whole months before locking us in at a rate nearly twice what we currently have and 25% higher than the rate we'd be facing if we just stayed with who we've got.
Hmmm...to offer a rather more sinister interpretation, perhaps people barely making ends meet can't afford the price increase, and have to take the cheaper option now and hope a miracle happens before it gets more expensive? No idea if this is the case, though.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Hmmm...to offer a rather more sinister interpretation, perhaps people barely making ends meet can't afford the price increase, and have to take the cheaper option now and hope a miracle happens before it gets more expensive? No idea if this is the case, though.
The fact is salespeople prey on customers. They're not customer service; they're predators seeking to maximize income regardless of customers' financial situation. It's the same reason you can go to nigh any car dealership and negotiate lower prices from sticker prices with good enough credit and/or buyer financial acumen. It's the same reason dealerships like CarMax boast that their sticker prices are nonnegotiable because honesty and straightforwardness are qualities rare in their business.

I don't know what miracle might possibly happen in a 3-month period of relief for someone so financially strapped to sign up to see their rate double after said 3 months, but regardless, the fact that a clearly better rate WAS available, but withheld until the threat of our [definite] denial was realized shows me it's an untrustworthy company. Honestly, the hike we're facing from $0.11/kwh to $0.15/kwh isn't significant. We're not financially strapped to the point that 4 more cents is going to hurt; we were just shopping to see if we could pay less as we've not shopped the market in YEARS. The fact that this company tried to dumb us into paying more in such an overt fashion was just disgusting, but also so stupid as to be laughable.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Heh. That gave me a chuckle. Can't even imagine being able to switch electricity providers though. We've only had a single option available since I was born.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. No choice on electric here. I am lucky enough to be one of the the 5-15% of people who live in an area with a broadband internet area crossover, so I can choose my ISP. Which is nice, switching between them every year or so when the "trial period" runs out then switching back to take the "promo" price until it runs out and I switch back. It is incredible how much the negotiated monopolies in ISP's are costing most people. 5 years ago when I lived in a different area that along with 85% of everyone does not have a choice in internet service... I was paying 3 times what I pay now. And the price had been going up every year. I move into a 5% with a choice, and my prices started significantly lower, and have remained fairly steady for the past 5 years.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
So I had to pull a night shift recently. They were lifting a bridge to do repair work and it's a whole thing so I needed to be there to supervise and basically figure stuff out on the fly so we don't need to pay to have it lifted again. Start time was 8pm but they didn't actually raise the bridge until 1am due to unexpected shit. The lift went ok but I was out until 5am, went home to sleep for 2 hours and then I had to be back at work for an 8am meeting.

I'm trying to catch up on my sleep but I've felt hung over for days. I think I might be getting old. This shit was nothing in my 20s.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We're prepping for our annual river trip next weekend, and yet again, against my warnings and examples from recent history (we just came back from Ohio a couple of weeks ago,) my girlfriend has offered our empty house/pool to her mother and any other family she wants to bring with her.

A little background, she does not get along with her mother. After that, her mom insists on moving shit around, and the family she brings tends to be her grandkids who, along with my gf's son, make a mess of the house and destroy everything. They can't figure out the dishwasher or washing machine, so we always come back to full devices on both ends. And since we have three beds, we have three loads of laundry to do atop whatever we bring back from the river.

She does this every time we leave, and upon setting foot in the house when we get back immediately gets pissed at all she has to do to clean up behind her family, but refuses to listen when I warn her against offering the house while we're gone in the first place. Imagine someone with a bee allergy who insists on owning an apiary, then complains at you every time they have to run for an EpiPen after being stung by a bee; THAT'S my girlfriend. I hate being the one to tell her "don't invite your family to use the house" because as someone who comes from a very close-knit family, that sounds like a dick sentiment, but I know how this is going to go. And since her family is long gone by the time we get back, I'm left as the sole recipient of her ire who's "not doing enough" to help her clean up after her mom and 4 teenagers.

I keep trying to tell her the house can simply be empty for 3 days; it doesn't need a sitter. We don't have the cat anymore, locks have been a thing since forever, and we've got some very nice neighbors who can check our mail and watch the house from across the street, yet she still finds a reason to extend the invite to her mom, and try to organize where we'll leave a key, where they can park, she'll stock up on essential groceries, etc., a bunch of shit someone going out of town shouldn't have to concern themselves with.

We don't even leave for a week, and I'm already mad about coming back. Thankfully, she's decided (as of a few hours ago) she's done with the river trip after this year. It's a massive pain to prepare for, and the fun of floating for a few hours is hugely outweighed by the pain of everything we have to do/buy to get to that point and come back.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I had to pull a night shift recently. They were lifting a bridge to do repair work and it's a whole thing so I needed to be there to supervise and basically figure stuff out on the fly so we don't need to pay to have it lifted again. Start time was 8pm but they didn't actually raise the bridge until 1am due to unexpected shit. The lift went ok but I was out until 5am, went home to sleep for 2 hours and then I had to be back at work for an 8am meeting.

I'm trying to catch up on my sleep but I've felt hung over for days. I think I might be getting old. This shit was nothing in my 20s.
I’m no theologian but if you’ve worked 8PM to 5AM, that sounds like a full 8 hour day assuming a 1 hour lunch. Shouldn’t that mean you’re on stand down until the next day for OH&S purposes?