Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
American retail culture is very different from ours, but man, I still can't imagine someone doing that.
Even by American retail culture standards, it's called being rude and budding in when no one asked. You don't get that shit at most non-gaming retails. You buy for the thing, and most stores are more than happy to accept your purchase, unless there is something wrong with the product.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
OT: I just started a job in the tech industry, and these motherfuckers loveeeee their acronyms. I'll get used to it eventually but man is it annoying.
It's not just the tech industry, it's rampant everywhere. My company (retail) has running jokes about some of our acronyms; they're so old, few people who work here today actually know what they stand for anymore. We have to go to the 30-40-year vets and ask what they mean.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Went to see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever on Friday. Had my wine and popcorn in hand, and was really enjoying it until the fire alarm went off right before the ostensible final battle and we had to leave. Hundreds of us stood out in front of the theater basking in the glow of fire trucks' emergency lights and very cold weather before being dismissed as the cause of the alarm was undeterminable. I was issued a full refund (in 5 to 7 business days,) but I'm giving them the money right back to see it again. On the upside, given I've seen most of the movie, I can take bathroom breaks the next time.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Fucking websites that feel the need to tell me how many people have bought the thing I'm looking at in the last 24 hours. (a) I don't even slightly care about this; (b) stop fucking popping up! I'm not more likely to buy something because there's a fucking pop-up on top of the picture of the thing! And the same for websites that tell me John in Denver just bought a fucking hat! Yeah, good for John but why are you telling me?!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Fucking websites that feel the need to tell me how many people have bought the thing I'm looking at in the last 24 hours. (a) I don't even slightly care about this; (b) stop fucking popping up! I'm not more likely to buy something because there's a fucking pop-up on top of the picture of the thing! And the same for websites that tell me John in Denver just bought a fucking hat! Yeah, good for John but why are you telling me?!
Would you say that you find the need for them to tell you that... baffling?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I've seen joke reviews on websites before mocking that stuff by complaining that "John from Denver" is an asshole so you shouldn't buy the product because clearly only assholes like it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The 6700XT video card I bought a bit more than six months ago seems to be failing. I'm seeing instances of textures not loading properly, artifacts on the desktop, and hitching during video playback. I'm going to try reseating the card to see if that helps, but if not, looks like it's time to shop for a replacement.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's not just the tech industry, it's rampant everywhere. My company (retail) has running jokes about some of our acronyms; they're so old, few people who work here today actually know what they stand for anymore. We have to go to the 30-40-year vets and ask what they mean.
Also the military as well(at least the US one). We'd have Acronyms that would be the same but have different meanings in different departments. A brief but accurate list for anyone interested. A much longer and more annoying(yet still accurate) would look like this.

I don't think anyone can escape from it.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I finally deleted Twitter yesterday (and also Instagram).

I just didn't like the direction that the platform was going, and Elon Musk is just insufferable.

Its weird, because I used to get a lot of my news from Twitter, and now that it is gone, I guess I just feel... blind? There are already major events that I have missed because I am no longer checking Twitter every couple of hours.

But hopefully this digital detox will be good for me, and I am sure not having every TV show or movie spoiled for me will be nice, too.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I finally deleted Twitter yesterday (and also Instagram).

I just didn't like the direction that the platform was going, and Elon Musk is just insufferable.

Its weird, because I used to get a lot of my news from Twitter, and now that it is gone, I guess I just feel... blind? There are already major events that I have missed because I am no longer checking Twitter every couple of hours.

But hopefully this digital detox will be good for me, and I am sure not having every TV show or movie spoiled for me will be nice, too.
Basically what I had to do with Reddit and Facebook when the elections over here concluded. Would have done the same for twitter if they hadn't already banned me (so thanks in retrospect I guess?). In a way I do feel a little guilty, like I am turning a blind eye to societal problems, but I do know it was the right choice for my overall mental health.

One good way to limit the tendrils of social media pulling you down is to use them on your phone's browser. They still have base functionality but often are a much scaled down version of the app. Which means all the "features" designed to keep you glued to your screen aren't always carried over.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Yeah, I got that when I deleted mine. It made me aware of how isolated from popular culture I've become (I don't have a TV licence so I can only use streaming channels), but it also made me generally happier to be less hyperaware of how awful everything is.

Reactions: laggyteabag

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Quit/deleted all social media a little over a year ago. Good decision for my peace of mind.

Tho I technically still have my second Twitter account, but that just a burner I use for entering contests and stuff.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Quit/deleted all social media a little over a year ago. Good decision for my peace of mind.

Tho I technically still have my second Twitter account, but that just a burner I use for entering contests and stuff.
Have you ever won? That's essentially what I made my twitter account for in the first place lol.

OT: I've been trying for a month now to wake up early and get my exercise in, but my ass or bladder always have different ideas. End up sitting around an hour or two after I wake up, making my early mornings basically pointless.