Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
OMFG, I think I love you. Seriously. How in the hell did you find this??? Thank you so god damned much; you're a fucking legend, and I would die/kill for you.
No worries! In time, I shall come a calling for your particular set of death skills... but until then, enjoy 😉 (just did a couple of cross searches on different search engines basically 🤟)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No worries! In time, I shall come a calling for your particular set of death skills... but until then, enjoy 😉 (just did a couple of cross searches on different search engines basically 🤟)
Goes to show how tech savvy I am; if Google can't find it, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. But seriously, thank you for finding it. Going to download it so I can have it forever finally.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
A few weeks ago I won an auction for a load of stuff from someone's shed. I picked it up at the auction house and had a quick look through it in the boot of my car. Found some weird little metal rectangle thing, palm-sized, with like a sliding toggle/button on it. Anyway, I was holding it upside-down and it was a Stanley blade scraper thing that was now a few mm into my hand (just on the two corners of the blade). They were small holes, but bleeding a bit.

I thought they'd dry up while I drove, so I went on to my next destination (tool shop). It became apparent in the drive that they were not drying up, and the steering wheel was getting a bit wet. Not soaking, but they were bleeding a surprising amount for such small cuts, and it was getting sticky (literally I mean). Arrived at the tool shop and still bleeding, which I definitely had to sort before I went in. I keep a first aid kit in the car (or, rather, the previous owner of two cars ago did and I still have it) so, great, I can get some plasters. But I need to clean my fairly red hands first. Only thing in the car is the alcohol hand sanitiser from COVID. ************ that stings. Also, I have a lot more open wounds on my hands that I might have guessed.

Go round to the boot for the first aid kit, and I've already started bleeding again, so I'm going to mop up, plaster, and clean again. Open the first aid kit. Oh cool, some alcohol-free wipes. Anyway, plasters, clean up, buy bits and pieces, go home.

And I needed a piss the whole time from getting to the auction house onwards.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Car broke down. I'm fine. My dad and brother were able to help out and we got a tow truck to the car dealership. I was not expecting this today.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've lived in North Texas for nearly 13 years, and until Saturday, had never been to the the famous Texas State Fair. People around here look at you like you've got lobsters crawling out of your ears when you admit never having gone. Well, I went, and it was beyond disappointing.

First, there was an insane amount of traffic. Then, we had to park in a shady "parking lot" several blocks away which cost $30. A guy in a golf cart was acting like a shuttle taking people to the front gate, $5 per person, there were 5 of us, so $25. Admission? $25 per person. I'd brought $140 in cash and before setting foot in the place, I'd spent half of it. But fine, I still had my debit card, and surly there'd be places to get more cash... which apparently isn't the legal tender of the fair. No, you have to purchase "coupons" to buy food and ride rides at a one-to-one dollar-to-coupon exchange rate. Whatever, I traded in my cash for the "coupons."

I had my sights set on two things: a funnel cake and 3-ball monte, so we made our way to the midway only to discover our coupons were not the legal tender of the games; you had to buy a game card and load it with credits! Not only that, the prices were stupid expensive! I haven't been to a fair in decades, but I recall most games being a couple bucks; these games wanted almost $10 per play! So I nixed 3-ball monte and set out for my funnel cake. $8 later, I ate half, and tossed the rest away as I muscled through the insane crowd of people and baby carriages (who the hell takes a fucking baby to a fair?? A lot of people; that's who.) The only rides I was interested in were the slingshot and a ride called the Skyscraper that spins clockwise and 70 mph... they wanted $70 for EACH. I was livid. Nixed the rides.

Lastly, my gf brought her elderly coworker, and after about 4 hours of walking needed help getting around, so we decided to leave. Long walk back to the car, more traffic as we drove home, wallet very much lighter than it started out. I'm never going back to that fair. It was dumb, expensive and crowded. Fairs are supposed to be Americana, happy places filled with cheap wonderment. Now, they're just crowded money pits with very little fun to be had.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

That's stupid. The UK going back to imperial will definitely make importing materials even more annoying than it already is. Can't wait for stupid issues for ton/tonne to come up.
Is this... seriously just because of a "we're taking England back!" sentiment? Or is there at least a halfhearted excuse for doing such an obviously stupid thing?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Is this... seriously just because of a "we're taking England back!" sentiment? Or is there at least a halfhearted excuse for doing such an obviously stupid thing?
Mostly because of taking England (probably not the UK, just England, the rest just gets dragged down with them anyway). People are defending this saying that they order a pint of beer, not 0.568L of beer (and different amounts in the US).

It's also a nice distraction, something the government can talk about that it's doing that isn't solely about setting their economy on fire. It'll help do that as well, of course.

Reactions: EvilRoy

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I've lived in North Texas for nearly 13 years, and until Saturday, had never been to the the famous Texas State Fair. People around here look at you like you've got lobsters crawling out of your ears when you admit never having gone. Well, I went, and it was beyond disappointing.

First, there was an insane amount of traffic. Then, we had to park in a shady "parking lot" several blocks away which cost $30. A guy in a golf cart was acting like a shuttle taking people to the front gate, $5 per person, there were 5 of us, so $25. Admission? $25 per person. I'd brought $140 in cash and before setting foot in the place, I'd spent half of it. But fine, I still had my debit card, and surly there'd be places to get more cash... which apparently isn't the legal tender of the fair. No, you have to purchase "coupons" to buy food and ride rides at a one-to-one dollar-to-coupon exchange rate. Whatever, I traded in my cash for the "coupons."

I had my sights set on two things: a funnel cake and 3-ball monte, so we made our way to the midway only to discover our coupons were not the legal tender of the games; you had to buy a game card and load it with credits! Not only that, the prices were stupid expensive! I haven't been to a fair in decades, but I recall most games being a couple bucks; these games wanted almost $10 per play! So I nixed 3-ball monte and set out for my funnel cake. $8 later, I ate half, and tossed the rest away as I muscled through the insane crowd of people and baby carriages (who the hell takes a fucking baby to a fair?? A lot of people; that's who.) The only rides I was interested in were the slingshot and a ride called the Skyscraper that spins clockwise and 70 mph... they wanted $70 for EACH. I was livid. Nixed the rides.

Lastly, my gf brought her elderly coworker, and after about 4 hours of walking needed help getting around, so we decided to leave. Long walk back to the car, more traffic as we drove home, wallet very much lighter than it started out. I'm never going back to that fair. It was dumb, expensive and crowded. Fairs are supposed to be Americana, happy places filled with cheap wonderment. Now, they're just crowded money pits with very little fun to be had.
Ive never been to the Texas state fair, but I can already tell you, you would have had a better time at the state fair in Louisville. Better food, better booze, nicer people. Also we like beatles and big Lebowski. Cant go wrong.

*actually dont know why were obsessed with beatles but we have a whole festival around them with cover bands and they are always playing on the radio at events.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm not sure that it won't get canned. They'll be able to save face by saying that it's to save money now, given that they weren't even prepared to pay 15 million for a campaign to help save energy this winter and I can't see that this wouldn't cost a lot more than that. The real reason is that it's extremely stupid, and even the flag shaggers are thinking more about the heating than the length of the Union Jack (yeah yeah, something about boats).

Edit: 'It' being the imperial/metric thing, not the state fair. Though maybe both would be good?

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Mostly because of taking England (probably not the UK, just England, the rest just gets dragged down with them anyway). People are defending this saying that they order a pint of beer, not 0.568L of beer (and different amounts in the US).

It's also a nice distraction, something the government can talk about that it's doing that isn't solely about setting their economy on fire. It'll help do that as well, of course.
I really wish groups would stop using the US as an excuse here. Their reliance on imperial has caused plenty of problems - the only reason things are basically even keeled these days is because Canada/US/Mexico have gotten really good at just working around each other's differences. Most people in work revolving around construction/fabrication are just fully fluent in both systems now to accomodate the big money. I don't want to get drug through England's adjustment period as everyone suddenly realizes that maintaining international trade will require learning metric, imperial, and imperial decimal and being good at differentiating and converting between them.

Ive never been to the Texas state fair, but I can already tell you, you would have had a better time at the state fair in Louisville. Better food, better booze, nicer people. Also we like beatles and big Lebowski. Cant go wrong.

*actually dont know why were obsessed with beatles but we have a whole festival around them with cover bands and they are always playing on the radio at events.
Really thought you were talking about bugs for a minute there and I was very intrigued, but classic rock is fun too.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

That's the kind of stupid excuse I was expecting from the average mook, but how exactly is the government trying to sell this?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
People that drive 20 under the speed limit on single lane roads until you start overtaking the pricks and then they suddenly remember the accelerator and floor it. So you're left with the choice of cutting back in behind them OR gunning it and hoping you can get in front of them before there's oncoming traffic...

Also, apparently the laws of physics work differently for trucks because trucks that are only supposed to be doing 100kph keep flying past me like I'm standing still.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's the kind of stupid excuse I was expecting from the average mook, but how exactly is the government trying to sell this?
Well, people in the US still support Trump, and while the UK (and, TBH, the rest of the world) likes to laugh at the US, they probably should have a look at their own backyard first.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Oh yeah, and while I remember it, people trying to intimidate me in town traffic with their pissy petrol 4-banger SUVs... I spend the trip in sharing the road with a bunch of these buggers:

Red_B-double_truck.jpg

... and my car cost me less than a replacement headlight mounting piece for your new Mumtank would set you back.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I sprained the thumb on my right hand. You know what you use the thumb on your dominant hand for? Basically everything.