Christopher Dorner first drone target on U.S. soil.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
albino boo said:
Fappy said:
So long as this is intended for surveillance only and this doesn't set some kind of privacy destroying precedent, I am cool with it. Though it'd be kind of funny if he shot down a drone. How much money do those things cost?
What's the difference between a from drone mounted camera and the currently operated helicopter cameras?
Drone flies much higher than a helicopter can, making it impossible to see or hear it from the ground, let alone shoot it down. No difference in cameras, really.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
the clockmaker said:
Arfonious said:
ShinyCharizard said:
To anyone saying he deserves a trial I have just have one question. The guy is clearly angry and armed heavily so how will they safely capture him and put him on trial?
Carefully. No matter who you are and what you have done you deserve a fair trial.
If he is not conducting actions conducive to surrender, then fuck him. He can get a free trial when he stops trying to kill people. He can get a free trial when he throws down his guns, turns himself in and accepts that he is going on trial.
He should be given every possible chance to surrender. Killing him should be the absolute last solution.

Like I said, no matter who you are and what you have done you deserve a fair trial.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
We don't even know if this guy is guilty or not, its only the LAPD that's saying he is, what happened to due process?

Gregory McMillan

Jan 30, 2012
The majority of U.S. drones are surveillance only. I highly doubt we'll see one firing rockets in California. Also, the guy's a fugitive and as of now very dangerous. If there's no other safe option, take the shot.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
TheTim said:
We don't even know if this guy is guilty or not, its only the LAPD that's saying he is, what happened to due process?
Well, he posted a manifesto to his Facebook detailing the people he was going to kill and those people are now dead, their are about a dozen different people who witnessed him murdering these people, the cops that survived being fired upon confirm who did it, he admitted to it and has threatened that he has anti-air weaponry as to keep helicopters from trying to find him.
So yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that he's guilty.

However all of that is irrelevant as you, much like the OP, did not actually read the article as they are not using a drone missile to kill him, but just using a drone to find him, so as to make sure his threat of anti-air weapons does not bear any fruit or more dead people.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed the government's fear that Dorner will make a dash for the Mexican border. The fugitive has already killed three people, according to police, and has a $1 million bounty on his head. Dorner, who has military training, is believed to be hiding in the wilderness of California's San Bernardino Mountains, where locating him without air support may be all but impossible.
Credit: http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

Welcome to the days of Government executions my fellow Americans. In what way is it just for them to kill a man with out a fair trial? It's clear now the LAPD and the Government don't want to do the lawful thing and capture Dorner alive, they want a body. Murderer or not, Dorner is still a United States citizen and is entitled to a trial.

Your thoughts, Escapist?
thats not actually what the article says. if you want to quote something you should generally quote it right, not paraphrase. I'm pretty sure they're only using the drone more for the search part more than the destroy. while the US government has put people to death under shady means, this is by no means the start of the days of government executions (if anyhitng that's already started, and long ago with death sentences in prisons).

it also goes on to say he may not be the first person to have a drone used to find him.

<spoiler=Besides, how you think this is going to shoot missiles I have no idea>http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V90OkAnERH0/TyGPq3NM2PI/AAAAAAAAOAE/SwMe_O5yvI8/s1600/0126124.jpg
I know science is scary and making huge leaps and bounds, I'm doubting they're going to blast him away with anything they can attach to it.

and according to a source I found they're not using one

The world does not need fear mongering at the moment.
What I quoted is what was posted on the website at the time I made the post.

Yes, I admittedly over-reacted. I hear a lot about these drones strikes, and the idea that they could possibly use them here on our own citizens did startle me.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I think it's a terrible trend. But that doesn't really matter because I'm on the losing end of things, not enough people care to actually be informed. And even when they do they always go 'well if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear' like no one in the government has ever abused their powers before or will do so in the future.

I would rather the dude get away than we set a precedent for the use of government spy cameras for any purpose.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Arfonious said:
the clockmaker said:
Arfonious said:
ShinyCharizard said:
To anyone saying he deserves a trial I have just have one question. The guy is clearly angry and armed heavily so how will they safely capture him and put him on trial?
Carefully. No matter who you are and what you have done you deserve a fair trial.
If he is not conducting actions conducive to surrender, then fuck him. He can get a free trial when he stops trying to kill people. He can get a free trial when he throws down his guns, turns himself in and accepts that he is going on trial.
He should be given every possible chance to surrender. Killing him should be the absolute last solution.

Like I said, no matter who you are and what you have done you deserve a fair trial.
He has the chance to surrender, he knows that the police are after him, he is armed and he is running away after committing a string of murders. He is a big boy, used to work in law enforcement and is aware that he is being pursued.

He can surrender if he lays down arms and putts his hands up or goes to the nearest phone and says 'come and pick me up'. He is not doing any actions conducive with surrender and so seems to have made his choice.
Hell, if he thinks the LAPD are going to top him on the spot, he can ask for an FBI team to pick him up.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
I think it's a terrible trend. But that doesn't really matter because I'm on the losing end of things, not enough people care to actually be informed. And even when they do they always go 'well if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear' like no one in the government has ever abused their powers before or will do so in the future.

I would rather the dude get away than we set a precedent for the use of government spy cameras for any purpose.
Please elaborate the difference for me, morally speaking, between this and a police chopper.

Feildin

Apr 17, 2009
the clockmaker said:
Mycroft Holmes said:

Please elaborate the difference for me, morally speaking, between this and a police chopper.
Actually the some police department have had drone capability for some time and have utilized them to track fleeing suspects, like Dorner. There is a very obvious reason for this, aircraft are great for finding people on the ground, which is why bigger departments have helicopters. However, manned airframes are expensive to operate and maintain, and police budgets are getting tighter. So do they rack up a bill for a pilot and his bird sitting unused on the ground as well as when its actually flying. Or do they spend a few grand on a drone to keep in the back of a squad car that anyone with very little training can operate when needed. It just makes sense to utilize the new technology, that gives you the same capabilities for much less cost.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
Your thoughts, Escapist?
You are exaggerating and being melodramatic.

Using a drone =/= using the missiles of the drone to kill somebody.

Drones are primarily used for surveillance tools, the ability to kill people with them is just something they have managed to make military versions do as well.

That said, I don't see how it'd be any different from a police sniper taking him out if he were a threat to somebody. Obviously if he was not a threat and they killed him to "deal with him" then yes, I'd agree with you, but this doesn't seem to be the case at all.

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
This story is getting crazier and crazier. I expect to see this turned into a movie within my lifetime

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Dijkstra said:
wombat_of_war said:
hes just been cornered in a cabin after doing a home invasion on an elderly couple and shooting 2 more police officers.

hes apparently spent the last 30 minutes shooting at police
Huh and so they ought to have him today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-resembling-christopher-dorner-barricaded-cabin/story?id=18480021

Well I don't see that the cabin has been hit by a missile, so it seems some people were exaggerating.

Though really, considering he's just been firing at the police, I really have to wonder at the people who object to just killing him. He's going to be trying to kill as many people as possible, why in the world is it so important to get him alive at the risk of others lives like this?
The thing is, he isn't targeting just police officers, which some here don't quite grasp. He is also targeting their families or anybody who he perceives to be in the wrong. The murders he started with was the daughter of the officer who represented him at his disciplinary hearing and her fiance. You can say that he got a raw deal, you may find merit in some of the accusations leveled at the LAPD, but you can not find his actions here justified. Murdering people who are only tangentially related to his accusations show just what kind of person he is.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
the clockmaker said:
I don't recall saying there was one.
If there is no difference between the two, why are you objecting to the use of this and not the use of police choppers?
Feildin said:
the clockmaker said:
Mycroft Holmes said:

Actually the some police department have had drone capability for some time and have utilized them to track fleeing suspects, like Dorner. There is a very obvious reason for this, aircraft are great for finding people on the ground, which is why bigger departments have helicopters. However, manned airframes are expensive to operate and maintain, and police budgets are getting tighter. So do they rack up a bill for a pilot and his bird sitting unused on the ground as well as when its actually flying. Or do they spend a few grand on a drone to keep in the back of a squad car that anyone with very little training can operate when needed. It just makes sense to utilize the new technology, that gives you the same capabilities for much less cost.
Oh yes, I am aware of the practical differences, my question to the above quoted was whether he could indicate a moral difference.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
They're using a drone to hunt him down, I don't see the evidence that they plan on killing him with it.

So no, this seems like the best idea ever.

Skillswords

Mar 25, 2009
It specifically states he has military experience, and hiding with an attempt to evade police forces, chances are he would be able to get away without the intervention of modern technology.

furthermore, this drone is only being used in an emergency for only recon. nobody is approaching with lethal intent (as of yet) as drones with military weaponry are not available to local authorities.

That being said, strict guidelines should be put in place setting the standard for when to, and when not to, use drones as surveillance. last thing we want is for this to become to commonplace.