Cigarettes and you.

IronDuke

Oct 5, 2008
Danzaivar said:
Smokers are disgusting.

If you see someone drinking in the middle of the street in the afternoon, when people are about, they're deemed unfit to be in society and are treated as people with a problem. Smoker's then don't see why smoking in the same circumstance attracts them ire, even though smoking's actually worse since it actually affects people around you with your disgusting second-hand smoke, and not to mention the god awful stench of a smoker.

I mean, I'm all for people doing whatever to their bodies and stuff, but you should keep to that crap in private. If you couldn't bare to go 9 hours or so without a fag then frankly, the rest of society shouldn't have to put up with your god-awful fumes so they're entitled to mock and belittle your addict-ass.
My god you are retarded. Smoking isn't worse you nut, second hand smoke is barely a threat to anyone unless it is nice and concentrated-if you are outside on the street you'll survive just fine if someone is smoking a few metres away. Alcohol is much more of a blight, with people causing damage to property and other people/starting fights not to mention drinking is in all likelyhood just as bad for you if you are an alcoholic (the equivalent of a smoker) but you will be more likely to affect others. This is why they are looked down on.

People are so f&*king weak these days, I honestly don't understand it. Grow some balls and stop buying into everything so much like everything is a guarentee of death. Second hand will not kill you, this I can promise you. You will probably kill youself through some act of stupidity like jumping into a meat grinder before 17 angry atoms attack your feeble throat and force you into early retirement from life.

If you are against smoking in public then don't hold double standards. A cars exhaust is much worse in that it is toxic and also very constant and prolonged in its spewing of filth into the air, and therefore you should demand that people refrain from driving to protect your precious lungs. Of course this would be ridiculous, because you drive, and you couldn't be hypocritical could you? No. Stop tackling the easy target, smoking, which is mostly a threat to the user, when there are things much worse and more common.

Smokers are easy to see as bad people, but christ are there some awful god damn non-smokers. Mind your own business thanks you annoying bastards, and I'll blow no smoke your way.

All smokers are people who fell to peer pressure or the stupid idea that smoking looks cool when they were teenagers and now they are addicted, but pretend they enjoy it still.

Its not like its even a good drug, slight stress relief from stress caused from lack of nicotine. Might as well do proper drugs.

I have no tolerance for them whatsoever.
Oh I see. I have no tolerence for idiots, you are one. Stop making massive generalisations, I love smoking, it's very peaceful and relaxing. I never recieved any pressure from anyone to start smoking, I asked my friend if I could try it one day and I liked it and decided hell, whats the point in living to 100 if you dont let yourself have the joys in life (most of which are bad for you, but fair trade off for actually enjoying yourself).

Anyway I've made this argument way too many times before so I'm pretty out of steam for it but I should just mention that I try and smoke far away from non-smokers, but if you walk up to me when I'm trying to keep away out of courtesy just to tell me something about the dangers of smoking, you deserve a cloud in the face. Otherwise mutual respect for each other.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I'm not a smoker, I've never smoked, and I just don't mind smokers. I'd rather smokers didn't smoke in my house or in my car, or in my face, but anywhere else is just fabulous.

What's interesting is that ardent anti-smokers are the only smoking-related group that I mind. I tire of these Truth commercials in which some teenage activists (the worst kind) rail against the tobacco industry. Sometimes, they quote tobacco execs, and rather than hate the execs as these activists so desire, I end up liking them because of their smartass comments.

Crumblebumble

May 14, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
All smokers are people who fell to peer pressure or the stupid idea that smoking looks cool when they were teenagers and now they are addicted, but pretend they enjoy it still.

Its not like its even a good drug, slight stress relief from stress caused from lack of nicotine. Might as well do proper drugs.

Yeah that's totally the reason that explains all smoking ever. Shucks, if only I had known that I was just trying to look cool and how to stop pretending I liked smoking now. If only... *sigh*.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
Well I can't say anything about "its bad for you" etc. because I used to smoke for a few years. I gave up a while back and no longer have cravings, but if I'm out on the lash I may have one. The smell doesn't bother me at all and when I'm at work I'll often be in or just outside the smoking hut because the weather is too good to miss.

dontworryaboutit

May 18, 2009
I have no problem with smokers as long as they are not blowing it in my face. It's not a "I don't want your cancer" thing. I just fucking hate getting that shit in my eyes and it smells like ass.

CrustyMedic

Mar 19, 2009
As a ex-smoker for almost 20 years, I quite frankly don't care if you want to smoke. Go for it. If your in your home all the power to ya. But, when your in my face, in my home I'll quickly let you know its not appropriate. I'm not a smoke warden, but I do expect some common courtesy from smokers. I'm not here to tell ya what to do when your not hurting anyone but yourself.

As a medic it does drive me nuts to see family smoking their heads off around a family member having a heart attack or a child with lung disease having a asthma attack. I must admit I start seein red. This occurrs more often than you would expect, no not me seeing red, but people smoking around sick people and car crash's with the potential of gas leakage for that matter, doh.

So in summary, smoke if you got them, your choice. The flack that you may have received possibly may be mitigated by respect for others when you choose to smoke. That is all:)

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Crumblebumble said:
Zac_Dai said:

Yeah that's totally the reason that explains all smoking ever. Shucks, if only I had known that I was just trying to look cool and how to stop pretending I liked smoking now. If only... *sigh*.
Then enlighten me about why you started smoking?

AdamAK

Jun 6, 2008
VitalSigns said:
The chances of getting a second hand smoke disease from walking by a person smoking are pretty much impossible. as for smelling it, some people dont shower, some brown people tend to smell like curry, some people wear to much perfume. not enjoying a sent is hardly a reason to banish anything to private sectors only.
Unfortunately, it's not just a person, but many, many people smoke nowadays. I run into smokers all the time, and often they block the way so that I can't get past them quickly. Furthermore, even though it is 'pretty much impossible', according to you, there is no reason why it should be higher than normal at all. I chose not to smoke, so should I suffer from other people's habits? And as I said, the smell of smoke makes me feel ill.

Your analogy is incorrect, by the way. The other scents are not as harmful as cigarettes are. According to your analogy, urinating in public or vomiting on the streets is okay, because it only bothers a part of the population, but those two things aren't really condoned.

Crumblebumble

May 14, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
Crumblebumble said:
Zac_Dai said:

Then enlighten me about why you started smoking?
Just felt like giving it a try. Sometimes people just do things for no particular reason other than 'why not?'

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'd like to think I'm fairly liberal.

I've got a good few smoker friends, and I don't bother them, except in a joking manner, every now and again.

Having said that, I despise smokers who do things like blow smoke in my face. That really pisses me off, so, in that situation, I generaly bugger off because those sort of people aren't worth talking to, and because its really difficult to be a pacifist after you've just lamped someone in the face after they've blown smoke in your face and they know you're a non-smoker.

Still, overall, I've no problem with smokers, as long as they respect the fact I'm a non-smoker and don't want to breathe in their smoke, which, for the most part, they do.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I've never smoked in my life but my parents do. I don't really care though to be honest and have never ranted at a smoker in my life.

Hitman 43

Jun 6, 2009
I myself hate cigarettes and their stink, not to mention that it's just money consuming poison. I try to avoid any person who has a lit cigarette.

And yes I suppose it is annoying having people come up to you and remind you that your stubborn and inhaling poison.

And it's SUCH an overused phrase "Bad for you." Rubbish. It's not bad for you, it's TERRIBLE for you. It's so overused most people don't give a damn anymore.

TiteAce

Jan 14, 2009
Lol, Im 18 and I look like a 15 year old. I was smoking on break in my car and after I came back in the store everyones like, "Oh my god! Ty, no!" I smoke every now and then and I know the risk. Its whatever. I wanna be like Wolverine when I grow up.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My mums actually a chain smoker, and I nag her to stop. I don't want her to die tbh, I'll have no one if she leaves me.

If affects people around you too. My niece was in hospital with bronchiolitis from passive smoking, I believe.
And I'm sick of people thinking I smoke because I stink of it thanks to my mum.
My room is smoke-free, no one is allowed in here with a cig.

DC1

Jun 8, 2009
Specter_ said:
VitalSigns said:
"oh you smoke, that's bad for you"[/quote.
Silverookami said:
I only pester smokers about their habits when I am locked in a car with them in the winter with the windows rolled up and a long voyage ahead of us.
If it's my car, tough luck, you can always walk.
If it's not my car, it's up to the owner and I have no problem stopping every half hour to pop out for a smoke.
If the driver/owner won't allow for cig-breaks, tough luck for me, I either take my own car or not go wherever you guys are going.
Dude. Not to sound like a prick, but that sounds desperate.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I don't bother complaining. I can understand why people do though.

Apart from the enormous sense of superiority non-smokers feel over smokers. It's a bit like saying 'oh it's bad weather at the moment' or 'oh I've been shot' - it's in other words just thinking aloud. Because while you can argue smoking is okay, you can never argue it's a fantastic idea and more people should do it...