"Cinematic"

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
I'd have commented sooner, but to get the most out of this comic I spent at least a minute on each panel. Feels more cinematic that way.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".
It's just nothing to be proud of, and certainly nothing to advertize.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Piorn said:
Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".
If only humans could perceive the difference...oh, wait.

I think they'll lose to an indie developer who's frames are rendered by hand, by the artist uploading it using a dial-up connection: 0.00005 fps.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I can't wait for the day that games become truly cinematic, game makers/publishers will rent them to the game retailers who sell us tickets to play them for just a little bit, granted the retailers won't make much money but that's okay as they'll make it back selling us over priced, low quality fast food.

It's gonna be great.

TheMatsjo

Jan 28, 2011
Who are these mythical people that swallow this scoop of bullshit? They certainly don't seem to hang around at The Escapist. Are we sure it's not just a matter of not having a choice between 30 and 60 fps on these titles?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Rainbow Six Siege is the only game i have any interest in coming from Ubisoft. If they throw out this BS again, i'll just have to avoid Ubisoft products altogether. O wells, plenty of other games to play.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
You cant use the word "Cinematic" for games below 24fps, the word you are looking is "Photorealistic" or maybe "Photogenic". You can always say that still photos have better quality then movies and look more real therefore games should aim to achieve the same result.

And after that the game is a sculpting because of how tactile it is and no image can replicate the accuracy of your eye, therefore games should aim to achieve the same result.

And then we are back at playing Monopoly and Chess.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
88chaz88 said:
I'd have commented sooner, but to get the most out of this comic I spent at least a minute on each panel. Feels more cinematic that way.
Woah, someone's trying to give the Flash a run for his money. To really enjoy the full experience it's recommended you take at least five minutes per panel.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
That reminds me, I saw a commercial on TV for the new Call of Duty which had at least two mentions calling it "cinematic". I guess now that means its a hand-holding bore where you can't do anything and it has a shite framerate.
Could be worse, it could be "animetic" (it's a word, shut up!)
Since most anime run at 14fps (sometimes even lower)
But I guess Watchdogs already did it

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Now I'm picturing Assassins' Creed as a '20s silent film.

*flickery B&W shot of Ezio perched on a building. A bystander spots him*

Caption: GOOD HEAVENS! A HOODED FIEND!

*The Keystone Kops pursue Ezio*

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Paulhorne Schillings said:
*instantly wants to play any game, Zoetrope edition*

$5, for someone that can create a video game completely in Zoetrope.
That's just perfect with your avatar. Oh boy, what's worse than a game at a shit resolution and poor frame rate? Make it about girls, by a girl! Run to the hills!

Edit, because apparently it wasn't clear: I'm not being serious..
Come on! Zoetrope.. Zoe.. it writes itself!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Piorn said:
Then why don't they make their videogames to run at 24 fps?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Piorn said:
Then why don't they make their videogames to run at 24 fps?
Obviously because as long as they're not at 24 FPS yet, they can continue to make nebulous claims about their games becoming "more cinematic".

Once they reach 24, they're just "cinematic". Then what could they aspire to?