Civ V Finally Getting Polynesian

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Civ V Finally Getting Polynesian

Firaxis announced DLC with the playable Hawai'ian leader Kamehameha and a free multiplayer pack of maps.

The island nations of the South Pacific have largely been ignored by the Civilization series, perhaps because there is not one dominant culture to base a faction on. The new Civ V deftly gets around that fact by squashing disparate cultures (Maori, Samoa, Easter island) into one nation under Kamehameha, the king who united the islands of Hawai'i in 1791. The accompanying scenario, called Paradise Found, bends some of the game's rules and lets the player expand to the many small islands and atolls in the Pacific without the usual penalties for spreading your empire too thin. The Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia is out on March 3rd and will set you back 5 bucks, but Firaxis is also offering a free multiplayer map pack available at the same time.

[gallery=148]

The neat part about the Polynesian pack, other than the ability to build awesome Easter Island or Moai Statues, is the addition of new social policies called Ceremony, The Arts and Honor. What's not clear is if these policies will be available in the standard game or just in the scenario. If it's the former, then the new social policies might just be worth the $5 on its own to add to the gameplay.

Even if those policies are only for the scenario, playing with the seafaring qualities of the Polynesian nation will be a nice departure for those Archipelago maps instead of using Elizabeth all the time. Being able to embark from the get go is neat, and with +1 sight, you'll be able to explore the seas pretty easily with a "land" unit.

Feb 13, 2008
So, Polynesian is fine. Nuclear Gandhi is fine; but no Hitler, Mussolini, Victoria, Pol Pot, Boudica, Stalin, Gadaffi, Saddam, Shaka Zulu...

We just want all those NICE dictators...like Montezuma...

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Sweet, i like the civs with unique improvements. The inca were awesome, and the polynesians sound like a lot of fun

QuadrAlien

Mar 20, 2008
Pardon me for asking, but doesn't Civ V already have an Honor policy tree available as one of the first three you can get?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
QuadrAlien said:
Pardon me for asking, but doesn't Civ V already have an Honor policy tree available as one of the first three you can get?
maybe they are tweeking it?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Sweet.

*sees it's king kamehameha*

AWH HELL YEAH! (dbz fanboy reaction, I know about the historical kamehameha, but still)

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
After looking at the screenshots, I'm guessing that the social policies will be bound by scenario.

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So, Polynesian is fine. Nuclear Gandhi is fine; but no Hitler, Mussolini, Victoria, Pol Pot, Boudica, Stalin, Gadaffi, Saddam, Shaka Zulu...

Its funny, because Boudica, Stalin, and Shaka were in Civ IV.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
That is pretty cool actually. My only concern is that they're adding another civilization but they seem to be forgetting the crucial problem with the game: The AI.

I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay any more money towards Civ V until they fix the horrifically unforgiving AI.

Feb 13, 2008
Irridium said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Its funny, because Boudica, Stalin, and Shaka were in Civ IV.
Vicky and Stalin were in Civ 2.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I'd consider getting these packs if they would actually give information about the civilizations. Seriously, all we know about the Polynesians is their ability.

Kaaaa...meeeeee...haaaaa...meeeeeee....HAAAAAAAAA!!!

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Didn't Master Roshi live on some random island in the middle of the ocean? Explains a lot about the name ;D

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Cool... We needed another sea fearing nation,.. now when am I going to see Australia... I want to conquer the world in the name of Booze and Laziness.