Civilization Coming to Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Civilization Coming to Facebook

As if there aren't enough ways to screw in time on Civilization [http://www.facebook.com] will be coming to the world's most popular social network next year.

The Civilization Network will offer "solo, competitive and cooperative play" with friends, relatives and those complete strangers who happened to date someone you knew in public school that you run into on Facebook on an alarmingly frequent basis. "Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world's most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization," Civilization creator Sid Meier said.

"You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World," he continued. "The game will offer everything you enjoy in Civ in a fully persistent environment - you can play as much as you like, whenever you like, and it'll be free to play."

You may find this hard to believe but the prospect of free-to-play Civilization on Facebook does not make me happy. You see, I've managed to avoid Facebook thus far; I signed up for it so I can look into things like this but that's as far as it goes for me. The last thing I need is yet another pointless, addictive online timesink sucking away the precious hours and days of my life. But now Civilization is being added to the mix? That's like getting heroin in my peanut butter. Damn your eyes, Meier!

A Civilization Network closed beta is expected to start "soon." You can claim your place in line by signing up for the Facebook Civilization Network page [http://www.facebook.com/civnetwork#/civnetwork?v=wall].

via: Games.com [http://blog.games.com/2009/10/21/civilization-network-marches-to-facebook-in-2010/]

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
OK, I've been waiting for something like this. Mafia Wars, War Machine, Sreet Racer, Vampire Wars, FarmVille and Bejewelled Blitz were beginning to lose their sheen.

Also, wouldn't a free to play Civilization game crush Evony?

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Yay more highly addicitve games on social networking sites...at least this one should be good...I hope.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Amnestic said:
Chipperz said:
Also, wouldn't a free to play Civilization game crush Evony?
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Oh god no. If anything, it's a hilarious thing. It might make the Evony bosses increase their adverts, though...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yep. It's the end of everything. Sigh...been nice knowing you, folks. I will undoubtedly be losing my job soon due to Civ addiction.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
yeah, it's an addictive time suck. I like both Civ and Facebook.

Now I'm going to see even less sunlight.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Urgh....

I get the impression Facebook overall is trying too hard. Throwing hundreds of apps in our faces screaming "YOU LOVE US! YOU REALLY DO!", while we blink confusedly, blinded by the wool Facebook pulls over itself. I have a facebook, but don't do an awful lot on it. It's like Facebook is forgetting why it even exists.

Rant concluded.

ThePokeguy

Oct 10, 2009
Squid94 said:
Urgh....

I get the impression Facebook overall is trying too hard. Throwing hundreds of apps in our faces screaming "YOU LOVE US! YOU REALLY DO!", while we blink confusedly, blinded by the wool Facebook pulls over itself. I have a facebook, but don't do an awful lot on it. It's like Facebook is forgetting why it even exists.

Rant concluded.
I will agree with this.
However, I am curious as to how it would look on Facebook and how it would work. Would we have to wait in real-time for a building or technology to be done like in Evony or would it be turn-based like most Civilization games?

Jun 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Yep. It's the end of everything. Sigh...been nice knowing you, folks. I will undoubtedly be losing my job soon due to Civ addiction.
At least you won't be alone. I think think of myself and plenty others wasting way to Civilization.

I don't know if that's a bad or good thing though...

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Its seems like yoville on a grander scale. I can't get into sim like games so I won't be bothering with this game. I think the only reason I play mafia wars is because I like leveling up.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
No!

Must... Not make... Facebook!
Aaaaaaargh!

I just don't know what to do anymore. On one hand: Social Networking, eugh. On the other: Civilization.

I'm going to cry.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Why would I waste my time on a "social website" (rutfl) playing a game when I can just play it outside of the site?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I can't conceive how this could possibly work, unless we're just talking about an Ikariam clone with the name Civilization on it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Abedeus said:
Why would I waste my time on a "social website" (rutfl) playing a game when I can just play it outside of the site?
Because that cute girl/guy you have a crush on doesn't own the actual civilisation, and playing against/with them gives you something to do together while you're sat at home?