"Classics" that you were underwhelmed by.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Novs said:
Also: Mozart
LOL. I don't know if you are referring him as he was a composer from the Classical period, his work is Classical music or that many people consider him a great composer.
Well to be honest he's not that great composer (I must agree that his Requiem was bloody-fucking great, one of my favorites) and that I don't really like his music (except his Requiem of course) except there now and again. He reached popularity because his age. He was already a virtuoso by the age of four and composed with great ease and his work was great (for that time), that's why people remember him. When he died people forgot him (I like to guess there was already starting something similar to pop music in that point) for at least 60 years until someone started classifying his work, offering great sums of money for his works. Unfortunately people started composing and even changing the compositions signature and selling to this person, and since this person did not study music and didn't play an instrument he didn't really saw the difference between pieces. Up until this day there still are pieces that are discarded as Mozart's.
People suddenly remembered Mozart not because his music, but because someone offered money for his pieces which were scattered all over Europe. After that, he got remembered as a virtuoso and someone who managed something that takes years and years of study to even try to be at the level that Mozart was at that point. He rightfully deserves this title, but for me he might have been exposed a little too much to everyone...

OT: Music: Ac/Dc for some reason.
Movies: Still have to decide to be honest.
Games: A lot. Oblivion, Morrowind, KotOR, GTA: SA, BioShock, Fallout 3, every Resident Evil, Deus Ex, Call of Duty 4, American McGee's Alice, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and many, many more.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
As for games, easily Half Life 2. I understood that the gameplay and graphics were going to be very retro, and that didn't actually bother me at all, it was the characters and the setting that did it in for me. I've heard so often about how amazingly characterised and immersive it all is... bollocks, I say. At no point did I feel anything was fleshed out, and though this is my opinion granted, I didn't like any of the supporting cast. Got most of the way to the end before just giving up... I honestly didn't care enough about anyone to work for their survival.

For movies, Bladerunner was dissapointing. I have to admit I adored the setting and the music above all else, but the actual story and script? Lackluster, didn't care for it. The main villain though is still one of my favourites, but that's mostly because of the actor's amazing job.

Catcher in the Rye, from the perspective of someone who is a writer, was a waste of paper.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Woodsey said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Game: Bioshock. More personal biases than the game itself.
In what sense?
FPS's are my least favorite genre, but Bioshock is one of those games you feel obligated to play for yourself. I loved the Randian themes and art style, but the gameplay was lacking for me.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Lord of the flies, by William Golding. It's good and all, but unlike 1984, it didn't really hook me in, or shock me.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The following films feature on the IMDB Top 250 list (http://www.imdb.com/chart/top), yet I would rate them average to poor. I have seen 212 out of 250, so some (like the Social Network) I haven't seen. I wouldn't recommend people to not watch these, but bare in mind that they are nowhere near as good as people say they are. The following are average to poor:

8. 8.8 Inception (2010) 342,187

10. 8.8 The Dark Knight (2008) 525,091

12. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 407,740

33. 8.6 Toy Story 3 (2010) 126,265

49. 8.5 WALL·E (2008) 213,964

56. 8.5 A Clockwork Orange (1971) 215,277

61. 8.4 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) 247,575

67. 8.4 L.A. Confidential (1997) 179,862

75. 8.4 Black Swan (2010) 120,964

91. 8.3 Inglourious Basterds (2009) 221,218

120. 8.2 Heat (1995) 161,461

136. 8.2 Annie Hall (1977) 72,572

139. 8.2 Donnie Darko (2001) 235,535

170. 8.1 Avatar (2009) 313,953

192. 8.0 Star Trek (2009) 156,602

218. 8.0 Children of Men (2006) 177,283

TSED

Dec 16, 2007
I wonder how many of these opinions come from academically minded individuals. There is a huge difference in how, say, a Bachelor of English will dissect a narrative and how a layman will.

"Blade Runner," I must confess, is a movie I have never seen. "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?", the novel by Dick on which it is based, I have read and quite enjoyed. The point of the novel is how it's a postcolonial piece. It's a critique on specific paradigms found at the time it was written. Many of the points it makes - particularly the anti-war sentiments coupled with a frustration and acknowledgement of the necessity of the police - ARE still culturally relevant. Once again, I know the movie has been altered substantially from the novel but I have not seen it.

Anyway, education is important to appreciate things. Some people complain that this exposure "ruins" literature for them; others find the exact opposite. The latter finds a way to vocalize their dislike of a work, and can now not only explain why they liked something, but they can find new interpretations to further their enjoyment.

This is not to dismiss pacing (I can't stand anything written between Pope and the Modernists, for example), but there's no nice way to say this. You don't like it because you don't get it.

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
Movie: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. *Ducks behind bullet/bomb/abuse proof wall.

Think about it. Teddy bears defeat the galaxies most powerful military (Arrows and logs? What does the armor actually protect from then?) Luke makes out with his own sister and no one bats an eyelid when the truth comes out later? Bobba Fett, the arch rival of Solo and most feared bounty hunter in existence is taken out of the movie by being accidentally smacked in the back with a pole? Luke decides that after defeating his father that he should just throw away his lightsaber, despite having been repeatedly told by everyone that the Emperor is quite powerful as well, because he's a nicey nice guy now?

There were less holes in the fu**ing Titanic.

Music: Foo Fighters

They have an incredibly defensive fan base from what I've experienced, but it dosen't stop me from finding all but three of their songs to be boring, and a little bit 'samey'.

TV: South Park

Seriously, what is the appeal? I have watched it and at times I do find it amusing, but then it just ruins itself with mindless stupidity and ridiculously bad language. They also make childish jibes at other TV shows, which are usually ignored. For some reason fans of the show feel that this is because the other shows know they're inferior. Family Guy is much better for jibes anyhow, they actually analyse other shows, albeit with an addition of random humour. (Take Two and a Half Men with the Ostrich audience for e.g).

I couldn't think of a game, San Andreas perhaps has it's bugs and other issues ignored for various reasons but overall it's the fun your having that counts. (This is why my addiction to Fifa 11 baffles me, since I never enjoy playing it despite winning most of the time.) That's it though, sorry for yet again clogging up a page with my boredom fuelled rantings.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Portal and Half Life 2. Both boring, Linear shooters that don't deserve the hype.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
sorry to say but"2001 a space odyssey" most of it was great but the last half an hour dragged on badly and the end scene didn't make sense to me. If anyone could fill me in i would be very grateful as the rest of the movie was really good.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
TSED said:
I wonder how many of these opinions come from academically minded individuals. There is a huge difference in how, say, a Bachelor of English will dissect a narrative and how a layman will.

"Blade Runner," I must confess, is a movie I have never seen. "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?", the novel by Dick on which it is based, I have read and quite enjoyed. The point of the novel is how it's a postcolonial piece. It's a critique on specific paradigms found at the time it was written. Many of the points it makes - particularly the anti-war sentiments coupled with a frustration and acknowledgement of the necessity of the police - ARE still culturally relevant. Once again, I know the movie has been altered substantially from the novel but I have not seen it.

Anyway, education is important to appreciate things. Some people complain that this exposure "ruins" literature for them; others find the exact opposite. The latter finds a way to vocalize their dislike of a work, and can now not only explain why they liked something, but they can find new interpretations to further their enjoyment.

This is not to dismiss pacing (I can't stand anything written between Pope and the Modernists, for example), but there's no nice way to say this. You don't like it because you don't get it.
Surely anything that requires education to enjoy would automatically be discounted, as it's appealing to a niche audience, and the majority of people cannot enjoy it? For example, I enjoy well written books on the history of art, as well as advanced documents on computer science, BUT I cannot expect others to enjoy the same things as they won't have the foundations to even approach the material.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that if something demands from the audience, it cannot complain when the section of the audience that cannot give treats it with disdain...

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
Game: the Mario series, never been a fan.

Movie: The Seventh Seal, it was some good parts here and there, but it shot itself in the foot with some really silly and annoying scenes. I just think its people who don't understand Swedish who think its great, because the subs are only covering 2/3rds of the dialogue.

Music: Coldplay, a good chunk of Springsteen's work, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, 2pac, Foo Fighters, Beth Hart, Patty Smith, Eric Clapton, U2, Nirvana, All of Metallica's work after 1998, Whitesnake and Deep Purple... To name a few.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Fanta Grape said:
Movie: Citizen Kane. Again, my fault. I was expecting something really clever but it felt like something average done to perfection... if that makes sense?
It was pretty much the first movie that first used a lot of cinematography techniques that are now considered standard. No surprise that they'd be a bit rough the first time. It was struggle to sit through the movie for me as well, but worth it as a history lesson.

I had the same thing with Ocarina of Time. It was the first 3D Legend of Zelda game, and thus a little rough around the edges, and you really notice that after playing Wind Waker and Majora's Mask first.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
I've only got Deus ex to say.
I bought the game on a whim as a child. Didn't quite understood the game and decided to shelve it.
After a few years of internet I googled best PC game and most of the list said deus ex, which I coincidentally owned(GOTY version, no less).
The AI was pretty bad, controls were difficult(even more difficult was to remap them), the game was hard to get into,some missions were bugged and some were outright impossible to accomplish in a certain way.
Though I give you that the graphics were quite slick and the animations were above average.
I couldn't understand that why I wasn't able to get into the game(Usually they are very easy to get into for me. For example I played Tomb raider 1 on the PC in 2009)
Surprisingly, I started being obsessed about the game. Why I couldn't enjoy the so called best PC game? I googled for hours but to no avail. Soon my web history was filled from deus ex and I wanted to know how could I enjoy it at all. I even went out to buy the PS2 version(sucked more)
to play but still couldn't have fun.
It was a weird game. A game which made me obsessed without me even liking it.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
-Drifter- said:
Once Upon a Time in the West was supposed to be this great western, but I couldn't stand it. I hated the characters and it bored me to death. Sergio Leone has no sense of urgency (the opening scene of the movie is three guys waiting around for a train for ten minutes while a fly crawls around on one of their faces. That's it.)
This.
I love Sergio Leone, but that shit was ridiculous.
Funnily enough - I thought that the opening scene is, perhaps, on of the most perfect sequences in cinema history. Shame that the rest of the movie has to drag on with landscape shots of everything....he manages to make landscape shots out of eye-line close ups - which is an interesting and completely unique technique, but it draaaaaaaags it out until it no longer becomes a game of tension or attrition, but a genuine battle with the audience to assert superiority.
Whatever.
I'll just keep on watching the opening scene over and over and over again.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
y1fella said:
Subject is in the title but I got to say I watched blade runner and........
It was either really boring or I'm really stupid. And I don't think I'm particularly stupid because I have read the entire wheel of time series thus far and you need allot of patience to keep reading book 10.
that aside I don't understand the whole stigma around the movie. I walked in expecting a slow burn but talk about no burn. Instead of you know investigating and stuff he just roams around getting in arguments about philosophy with the replicant girl before very suddenly everyone starts very suddenly getting in gun fights. and then at the end it just ends. I mean the bad guy dies suddenly no kind of personal goal is achieved and the movies over. I walked in with the highest expectations yeah but I still never once enjoyed, was intrigued, liked the characters or anything that would typically constitutes a good movie.
I'm not saying it's a bad movie so don't get angry but I seriously didn't get it.
anyway what classics were you less then fond of.
When I saw the title I came in here to post Blade-Runner...but was beaten by you...the OP! For the exact same reasons (high expectations as its known as one of the best sci-fi movies ever and I LOVE sci-fi but it was a huge disappointment...)

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Beowulf. I thought: "cool, dragons, monsters, heroism and shit", but it was quite boring most of the time, especially the third part with the dragon.

Also something that deserves mentioning is the chapter about Tom Bombadil in the fellowship of the ring. It had absolutely nothing to do with the plot and it was the most boring thing i've ever read. It was nothing but Bombadil spouting semi-poetic crap.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
Verlander said:
The following films feature on the IMDB Top 250 list (http://www.imdb.com/chart/top), yet I would rate them average to poor. I have seen 212 out of 250, so some (like the Social Network) I haven't seen. I wouldn't recommend people to not watch these, but bare in mind that they are nowhere near as good as people say they are. The following are average to poor:
You do realise that the IMDB 250 is retarded though, don't you?
IMDB is good for hard facts, and shit for opinions and recommendations.