Cliches that you hate with a passion.

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
CScuff said:
Switchblade 327 said:
Good and evil are both creations of society; they have no set value and, though generally opposite, exist independently. If a man kills another man in a forest, and there's no super-hero McGoodyTwoShoes hanging around, is he still "evil"? Of course! You don't need someone good there standing next to a killer to say that the killer is a bad man!
You can only deduce this based on your concept of "good" and "evil" that you already know. If you did not know of "good", then "evil" would be the only thing you knew, thus making it the general norm. You would sooner use the word "average" than "evil" if there were no such thing as good.
But indifference is a thing as well, is it not?

For instance, nobody cares. Everyone goes about their own business; their own needs. Nobody goes out of their way to help others. Yet some people go out of their way to ruin others' days. That would make them bad, despite the social norm being a reserved neutrality, no?

sparkyk24

Jan 3, 2010
"This guy is big, thus, he is INCREDIBLY stupid." It's okay if someone outsmarts a bigger opponent. But just because someone is stronger than you doesn't mean that you'll make them run head first into a tree while saying "duuuhhh..." Stop it.

"The only way to beat them is to make them charge you and then jump out of the way." Stop doing it. It's not fun.

This is a movie cliche, but..."Everyone who has a problem with gay people is gay." The problem is, it's meant to be supportive of homosexuals, but it's not. It's basically saying "What should we do to these people who despise homosexuals? Let's call 'em gay, the ultimate insult!"

"She is a strong character, thus, she is a lesbian." Honestly...I have met some fairly flirty women who were freaking strong people. I know a girl that can kick the crap out of me at Judo (and I'm a big guy with experience), and she's fairly girly when you talk to her.

"We're not so different, you and I." Yeah, because someone who hates you always wants to equate his or herself to you.

"There are two types of people, the protagonist and selfish, stupid people." Ugh.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Any generic fantasy setting, no matter how dark\gritty\edgy\etc. you try to make it, its still boring as hell.

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
Everything in Avatar (Not the last airbender, the one with the blue cat furries). No James Cameron, the primitive savages would NOT have won, and no we wouldn't have just let them keep all that valuable, species-saving spacecraft material under a goddam tree because "They won't let us take it". The worst part is that the Na'vi are portrayed as noble people, when they are essentially dooming an entire race because they won't let the humans have a mineral that the Na'vi themselves have no use for.

In conclusion, James Cameron should have stuck to killer time-robots, because that's what he does best.

(Yes I am aware of Titanic and stuff, that last bit is hyperbole for the sake of humor)

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
Actually, that's real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido

And efficiency is the whole point. Begin and end the fight in one move. Real life isn't Samurai Shodown. If you get cut with a sword, chances are you're not getting up any time soon, even if it isn't a fatal blow.

Then again, Samurai Shodown has an Iaijutsu user anyway...

Arontala said:
Whatever character archetype that Nagisa from Clannad was.

Fucking hate those kinds of characters.
The shy Kyoto Animation version, or the Genki movie version?

Anyway, I gotta say... Hmm... I usually avoid the stuff that really pisses me off, so maybe I gotta say:

Deconstruction as Humor. I think the best two examples that come to mind are Epic Movie's attempt to "subvert" the eye-shooting scene from Superman Returns, and the scene from what appears to be Family Guy of Elmer Fudd killing Bugs Bunny and dragging the carcass away.

NO SH*T, SHERLOCK! That's what normally happens in those situations! How the hell is that supposed to be funny?

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
Strangely, I actually like glitches. I think they add flavor to the game. Sure, it may be a little frustrating to get stuck inside a wall, just after that incredibly difficult boss battle or get killed by a random glitch, only to find out the most recent save you have was 6 hours of game play ago; But, these are the things that really make the game "memorable".

EDIT: Haha, my bad, I misread the title. I though it said "Glitches" instead if "Cliches" ;)

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
S-Unleashed said:
DrMegaNutz said:
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Thank you for this. Thank you. You win 10 Internetz
Thanks. Also I would like to see a blind hero or heroine save the day for once.
Except...they are blind.
I mean, its usually the protagonist of an action movie that saves the day, and eyesight is everything when shooting and dodging and whatnot. Making a character blind in most movies is done poorly, like a "Was that really necessary for the character?" kinda thing, anyway.

(If a character is blind but still enabled like Toph or Daredevil then it doesn't count of course.)

Patinator

Oct 20, 2009
estoria-etnia said:
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
Um, that's not a cliche, it's an actual martial art known as Iaido [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido] which developed from Iaijutsu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu], which is the act of drawing the sword from its sheath. So you can't really complain about it being cliche since it technically isn't. I only really know this from reading Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Deeper Kyo.
It might be real but it still irks me to no end. I wouldn't mind it so much if every single samurai "thing" i've seen didn't have them do it.
Except Samurai Jack. Samurai Jack gets a pass because it was awesome. The Scottsman was a pimp too.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
DarthRiko said:
"It's quiet. A little TOO quiet.?

>_>

It's the line characters say when the writers know the audience knows exactly what's about to happen.
I wouldn't mind that if it ended like this:

"It's quiet. A little TOO quiet..."

*5 minutes later*

"Alright, top floor... It's still too quiet."

"Yeah, it's too quite cause they're NOT FUCKING HERE, DAVE."

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
All christians are crazy old people who quote the bible and tell others they are going to hell. They also hate all Gay people.

Republicans are idiots.

All Tall people (including me) MUST play basketball. There is no exception.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Republicans are idiots.
Perhaps we should include the caveat "when on camera".

Seriously, it's just that sane Republicans are boring, and everyone knows the news must be Entertaining, not Informative. *rolleyes*.

I am reminded of a Readers' Digest entry where a woman encounters a tall man wearing a T-shirt that reads: "No, I am not a Basketball player." On the back it read: "Are you a Jockey?" :)

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
- Honor keeps the hero from killing the villain
- Honor in conjunction with some arbitrary asian character
- Honor itself is becoming something of a cliche'; we need to go back to honor meaning a fair fight, not spiritual satisfaction.

- The big guy is strong, but slow
- The big guy is strong, but the little guy is nimble and packs a punch
- The bug guy is strong, but the little guy is stronger
- The big guy has a weakness easily exploited by an acrobatic and nimble little guy
- The big guy is easily defeated by the little guy
- The big guy is easily defeated by the little guy (who is in possession of mystical powers)
- The big guy is easily defeated by the little guy (who is in possession of a secret weapon)
- The big guy is one of the bad guy's dumb henchmen
- The big guy charges head first into a wall
- The big guy is strong, but dumb

I think all those 'big guy' points are why I hate anime, come to think about it. Because in every anime I have dared try to watch for more than five minutes (because I feel it is important to experience some of that which one strives to hate, else one comes off sounding like a hypocritical douche), one of those cliches comes up, and makes me absolutely hate it. Hell, a lot of movies do this too.

Being a big guy myself, I feel stereotyped and offended. I spend a helluva lot of time working out, lifting weights, exercising, going on jogs, eating meals, cooking meals, learning to cook meals to eat--little guys don't get the amount of effort that goes into building a strong physique, and they're the ignorant ones! Go on youtube, look up a video of some muscular guy, and 9 out of 10 comments will be "STEROIDS!!11!1", and you just know that it's an insecure scrawny kid on the other side of the keyboard, who doesn't understand a thing about anatomy, physiology or kinesiology--hell, there's another point! The level of knowledge needed to build a proper symmetrical physique requires brains! The biggest guys need to be smart, fast, and strong in order to get to where they're at. It irritates the hell out of me that big guys and bodybuilders and such in this day and age are being seen as social outcasts who all use drugs to get to where they're at, and have no purpose for their strength except narcissistic self-gratification.

Damn this post was way too long.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
SAMAS said:
I am reminded of a Readers' Digest entry where a woman encounters a tall man wearing a T-shirt that reads: "No, I am not a Basketball player." On the back it read: "Are you a Jockey?" :)
Here is a day in my life when I go out in public:

*Le walking into someplace*
*I nearly bump into an old lady*
Lady: Wow, you should play Basketball!

*Le Buying a coke from a gas station*
Cashier: Do you play Basketball? You look like you do!

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
I'm tired of people associating Anime with Hentai.

I'm tired of people associating religion A and B as the same, each of them is unique!

I'm tired of people assuming freedom of _____ as having no consequences - I'll definitely get some word on my second sentence.

I'm tired of people saying 2012 is the end of the world

I'm tired of people who give my religion a bad name - me included

I'm tired of games being made to be like movies and the companies screwing us over while game-haters continue to bash us because of some kid who screamed due to a lost connection, or lost the round or could not get the game immediately.

TL;DR I'm tired of complaining. I'm done here.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
Okay the cliche that gets me is in a romance plot cliche of a Blonde airhead. like in Dark messiah we get a choice between a dumb blonde girl Leanna or a demoness Xana. Not saying I disagree with the demoness choice, but the dumb blonde girl archetype for romance is getting old. Also Megan Fox I hope she never returns to movies.

Christian Amado

Jun 14, 2011
White people being the heroes in 98% of all western works ever.
Even in a team of heroes they'll add one or two minorities and leave them in the background, focusing on white's because that's apparently the only thing the audience can relate to.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I hate the cop-out "It was all a dream" ending. It might have been clever the first time someone did it, but after that, it got old.
Besides, it essentially makes everything you just watched/read/played absolutely worthless.
You didn't just experience an epic quest of hardship and victory, you just experienced the thoughts of a sleeping person.