CliffyB: Epic Must "Drag" the Industry Into the Next Generation

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
How about, making games rather then overblown tech demos? That last generation has reached a plateau of fidelity that seems perfectly fine to work with into the next generation. In fact, keep this generation and just MAKE BETTER GAMES.

I don't want another 4 years of developers finding their feet with new hardware.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Harker067 said:
His actualy idea was "Another multiplayer idea from Bleszinski: "What if I had a Fatal Frame where anonymous people could join my game and be ghosts and try to scare the crap out of me, and then I rate how well they scared me?" Basically a fancy hide and go seek.
Source?
Amnestic said:
You do understand that merely adding a second person would kill the horror? A major aspect is the feeling of being all alone. It's why teaming you up with an AI partner in horror games is also almost universally stupid.
Opinion. The Lost in Nightmares DLC for RE5, while not scary, was a very valiant attempt at recapturing the old style RE scares. It's not that it can't be done, but rather you don't believe it can be done. And there is a Fatal Frame with co-op.

Daystar Clarion said:
Why do I always feel like punching a badger every time CliffyB opens his mouth?

He'd say "come at me bro!" but he's too busy eating a fuckin' snake.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Irridium said:
And... how do they plan on keeping game budgets from skyrocketing out of control?

I think we should solve that problem before we tackle making games look even more graphically advanced.
This is how. The vast majority of a time a high poly, cinematic quality model is made first (some vehicles and buildings usually the exceptions) which is then baked onto a low poly mesh (which takes time to build in its own right) to create the normal map. With more advanced game engines and hardware you completely cut out the low poly mesh and constraints and in turn save time there. Additionally higher resolution textures are much more easier to make due to a lack of any constraints (speaking from experience here)
and game engines are more than capable of scaling their resolution. Just because it is higher resolution does not mean that the detail is anymore difficult to add. There are deffinitely exceptions to this but not that many.

Overall with more powerful hardware you are limited by fewer constraints and in turn can work more easily. Once again there are easily found exceptions but overall it would make many aspects of game design quicker. The most notable exception being level design.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
That's great and all. Make games prettier. I like it.

... can we at least not lose any more in the "compelling narrative", "fun game-play", or "consumer-friendly" arenas, though?

No? Okay, just thought I'd ask.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
It's not MUST it's want to. And why do we need another generation so soon anyway?
So soon? By the time the Wii U comes out and officially kicks off the 8th generation of consoles, this generation will have been the longest console generation in the history of video games. We're way overdue.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
A graphics engine does not a game make, Cliff.

Also, Gears of War is totally overrated. I know it's my opinion, but my opinion is on the internet, which makes it fact by internet law.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Harker067 said:
Freechoice said:
Amnestic said:
I'd just like to remind people that this is the same person who thought that Fatal Frame - a horror game - needed a multiplayer aspect.

We can handle the next generation just fine without him.
What, like co-op? Wasn't there twin sisters or something like that? It's not like he said it needed team deathmatch or something.

And considering half of anything is on Unreal, I don't think it's implausible.
Technically only Fatal frame 2 had twins that I know of and they are mostly seperated for the game.

His actualy idea was "Another multiplayer idea from Bleszinski: ?What if I had a Fatal Frame where anonymous people could join my game and be ghosts and try to scare the crap out of me, and then I rate how well they scared me? Basically a fancy hide and go seek.??

On the new unreal engine console issue I think Id honestly be more interested of a very modest increase in specs and a focus on makeing games cheaper to make then on real time avatar rendering...
That sounds like the lousiest idea Molydeux could come up with...

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Ah, lovely! So much joyous, mindless hate! Love it!

If only Cliffy could get of his ass and start making Unreal Tournament IV, then we will be bros forever.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Cocky statement, but in fairness, Unreal engine tools do manage the balance between offering great power while being friendly to devs and they've done extremely well licensing their platform. The 'other' big alternative is Source, which I'm glad Valve has continued developing.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Buretsu said:
Freechoice said:
Harker067 said:
His actualy idea was "Another multiplayer idea from Bleszinski: "What if I had a Fatal Frame where anonymous people could join my game and be ghosts and try to scare the crap out of me, and then I rate how well they scared me?" Basically a fancy hide and go seek.
Source?
http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/170144/what_if_cliff_ran_the_world.php?page=2
Thanks Buretsu. I should have linked to the source in my original post. In my defense you can find the source in 10s by copy pasting a chunk of my quote into google. Google is your friend people :p.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Why do I always feel like punching a badger every time CliffyB opens his mouth?
You must have a death wish if you wanna punch one of those. They'd skin your face in about ten different ways.

In all honesty, I love how Cliffy goes on and on about the next gen despite the fact that bringing it about would probably not be wise right now. We're in an economic slump and bringing about higher-res hardware would cause gigantic problems such as inflated dev costs. If you can't get a few more years out of the current hardware generation than you're no creator. Epic's strategy is to use brute force instead of lateral thinking which is NOT wise.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Are we also going to get some sort of engine that will allow games to have decent writing? I ask because to me storytelling, not graphical fidelity, has been the major failing of games over the last console generation. I would also like to Xth the motion that Cliff Blasdfsdfszxzdfski please be asked to STFU.

Sep 14, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Saulkar said:
Irridium said:
And... how do they plan on keeping game budgets from skyrocketing out of control?

I think we should solve that problem before we tackle making games look even more graphically advanced.
This is how. The vast majority of a time a high poly, cinematic quality model is made first (some vehicles and buildings usually the exceptions) which is then baked onto a low poly mesh (which takes time to build in its own right) to create the normal map. With more advanced game engines and hardware you completely cut out the low poly mesh and constraints and in turn save time there. Additionally higher resolution textures are much more easier to make due to a lack of any constraints (speaking from experience here)
and game engines are more than capable of scaling their resolution. Just because it is higher resolution does not mean that the detail is anymore difficult to add. There are deffinitely exceptions to this but not that many.

Overall with more powerful hardware you are limited by fewer constraints and in turn can work more easily. Once again there are easily found exceptions but overall it would make many aspects of game design quicker. The most notable exception being level design.
Oh look, someone with a clue saying something :p

Every time someone says something stupid like "do we need a new generation SO SOON" in threads like these AFTER 8-9 YEARS I want to faceplant my head against a wall.

Level design is also getting easier with middleware progressing and being licensed together with big engines like Unreal or CryEngine etc.
Things like SpeedTree make plant development easier, Enlighten makes light source placement and rendering a lot easier etc.
There's middleware and APIs for UI development, animation, lip-synching, AI routines etc. etc. etc. being developed making a lot of the otherwise arduous tasks a lot easier to do and being developed upon.
yup this.

sure the dude can be a bit of a hot headed douche, but i welcome a damn new engine, especially the unreal one; i can't wait to see some of the games that would come out with it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
drag it into ....

right ....

this from the guy that thinks Japaneses games need multi-player, when there's no place for it, OR, throw a tantrum cause his generic shooter only got an 8 of 10.

how about we just not post anything this fratboy says. cause he clearly has no fucking idea what he's talking about

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Harker067 said:
Buretsu said:
Freechoice said:
Harker067 said:
Source?
http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/170144/what_if_cliff_ran_the_world.php?page=2
Thanks Buretsu. I should have linked to the source in my original post. In my defense you can find the source in 10s by copy pasting a chunk of my quote into google. Google is your friend people :p.
Honestly, what he's saying isn't that bad. If it's handled well, it could make a game much more dynamic. Once you've been through Amnesia once, it gets progressively less scary because you know where the monsters are, where the scares are and what is going to happen. Having an experience that changes every time would be the shit and add tremendously to the game's replay value.

And if people actually read what he said, they'd stop giving themselves rectal exams with their heads and realize he's saying that you don't tack on the multiplayer as an afterthought, but rather make it a part of the production from the start. Thus you don't waste time on making two separate things on their own. Instead, you make a big thing and then section stuff from it so that multi can influence single and single can influence multi. This is all assuming it's positive, but it would be a good step toward innovating shit.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Hey, Cliffster, does this new super duper engine keep any room left over for, you know, colors?

jokaero

May 16, 2012
Well, I hope he knows what he is doing. It would be nice to have the Unreal Engine updated so it can better the gaming industry as a whole.