"Cloud Girlfriend" Provides Users With Fake Facebook Mate

Goldenkitten01

Aug 23, 2010
Sounds interesting. Don't really care that much and I'm not going to judge it. I'll probably check it out just to see how far publically avaliable scripting has come now. If you look past the "girlfriend" thing this is really a pretty excellent step in the direction of sentient machines (the question of whether that is a good thing or not is for another discussion).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
80sGuy said:
This is just ONE reason why I have never, do not, and NEVER WILL have a facebook page. NO one gives two craps about you or your cutsie wootsie wubby dubby. Gag me.

OT: This made me laugh so hard when I read it. I can't wait to see the trickle of stories of people suing the company due to ruined social lives from revelations that their girlfriend is a cloud of pixels...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
My companion cube will never talk back to me. My companion cube will never leave me.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Aethren said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: It's sad because it's true. He goes off with her and leaves me behind. At least he told me, unlike Jeri... : (
Aww, I'll always be here for you little guy. Come ride with me in this completely innocent white van, we'll go have fun while he's away.

<3
You know what? Maybe you could be Calumon's playmate! Why that shag carpeting in the van looks wonderful, and the lovely cloth hammocks.

Say, where'd I put my lighter?

Calumon: I'm happy here, thanks! O.O'

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Because being single is only one step away from being gay, or somesuch other drivel.

I understand that society says guys are supposed to have various attractive female playthings to boss about, but really...nah, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at this.

Oh, right the article says that if people think you have one perfect girlfriend, other perfect girlfriends will offer yourself to you so you have a set, I guess. And then presumably murder you when they find out you've been lying.
Ha nice song reminds me of:

I really don't get the whole "oh no what if people find out I'm not in a relationship" thing and the whole making a girl/guy jealous by interacting with a bot is just...twisted.

I approve of comedy and prank purposes though.

Sep 17, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Snowalker said:
I see this becoming a Hollywood movie, dude become so self consumed with this fake girl, he perceives her as real. Then the hard reality hits him... but then at the end, the programmer of the girl turns out to be holding the conversations with him instead of letting the program take over, they live happily ever after...
And copyright Jack and Calu... OH HEY!

OT: Okay, this is a sad idea, and yes, breaks Facebook terms of use.

I would also like to say my girlfriend is real. Completely. I know she has no photos of herself, but she's camera shy. She is real!

Calumon: It's sad because it's true. He goes off with her and leaves me behind. At least he told me, unlike Jeri... : (
Really off topic, but when I first came on this site like a year ago I always saw you posting like this...at first I found it odd.

But now I look forward to your posts because they are really nice and make me "d'awww".

So...yea. ~pats Calumon~

OT: Yea this whole thing makes me sick. People gotta get out more.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
lacktheknack said:
OT: This made me laugh so hard when I read it. I can't wait to see the trickle of stories of people suing the company due to ruined social lives from revelations that their girlfriend is a cloud of pixels...
Oh...signing someone else up for a fake FB girlfriend without them knowing?

Eh, whatever happened to making up fake accounts? Don't people do that anyone for the games?

(Isn't it going to be a bit obvious when the fake girlfriend's FB friends are all other fake girlfriends?)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
...what the... whyisthiseven I don't...

...this will reduce people to manics. You'll see. The thing that got to me was "create your perfect girlfriend. That takes it well beyond just "try and see!" territory, into full-blown creepy perverted nightmare. This is sex robot creepy.

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
Snowalker said:
I see this becoming a Hollywood movie, dude become so self consumed with this fake girl, he perceives her as real. Then the hard reality hits him... but then at the end, the programmer of the girl turns out to be holding the conversations with him instead of letting the program take over, they live happily ever after...
Dude...you totally shouldn't have posted that. You should have kept it to yourself, written a script, and sent it to a Hollywood agent because that is freakin gold right there! And if Hollywood doesn't go for it, it would probably make a decent quirky indie film.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I don't know whether to be amused or appalled. So I'll go with ampulled.

I suppose it's not utterly different from generally getting emotionally invested fictional characters, but there's just way too much Pygmalion control freakishness going on here for my comfort zone (though it's still a step or two above this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_214/6358-Artificial-Thrills]).

Nothing unethical about it; It's just... sad in some way, as I doubt "cloud girlfriend" was the preferred choice anyone who choose to get this wanted to make.

If it was their primary preference though, good on them. Different strokes and all.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
What.

Are they making a concerted effort to remove all the incredibly desperate people from the gene pool? Is this how we're going to combat overpopulation?

Who the smeg thought this would be a good idea?!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
The Rockerfly said:
That's really quite creepy, I bet there would be numerous flaws with each girl

Bloke: I love you
Lady: I will always love you. MEMORY DELETED
Ooh, Futurama reference IIRC!

I really think this is sad. Pitifully sad. Especially the "make the real girl you truly want to go out with jealous". One of two thongs will happen, either said real girl will give up you, thinking you're already attached, or she wasn't interested in the first place, and she won't care a bit.

Really sad... (like we needed something else to support the "gamers and geeks are sad, lonely dweebs" stereotype)

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
this is very sad.

or pretty ffing hilarious :p
i'd sign up for the beta if they allow girls/gays.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Bahahahahahahahahahaha

I can see it now,

"Ian, how on earth are you dating a supermodel/up in coming actress who is also working on a cure for the common cold?"

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Aethren said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Aww, I'll always be here for you little guy. Come ride with me in this completely innocent white van, we'll go have fun while he's away.

<3
Im coming too...anywhere Lucy goes, I go.