"Cloud Girlfriend" Provides Users With Fake Facebook Mate

Venereus

May 9, 2010
So many of us find this thing sad, and we're supposed to be reality-escaping-cyberpunkish-gamer types. So I wonder WTF the guys signing up for this BS are.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Stupid shit right here, I can only hope it goes down in flames...stupid flames.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Sick of not having a significant other like all of your friends on Facebook?
I was. Then I killed all their significant others.

Now I'm just sick. I don't think so, but that's what the men in white keep telling me. Heh.

(What?)

Tom Goldman said:
When Cloud Girlfriend launches, it'll allow a user to define his/her perfect girlfriend, and then the service will create her.
Is there a sexting option? If so, my perfect girlfriend is a promiscuous bisexual redhead (natural, please).

Tom Goldman said:
Social network users can then "connect" with the virtual girlfriend on services such as Facebook.
I don't know what's sadder, that someone would use a service like this because they're sad and lonely or that someone would use a service like this because they're too stupid to use two web browsers and alt-tab. Goodness, five minutes and I could have a bloody roundtable with myself on Twitter. Ten minutes and some judicious proxy use and they could be in different parts of the world.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
as potentially sad as this is, i cant help thinking about the devious things i could now do. im looking at this and i thinking its a potential alibi. no i wasnt there, i was hanging out with -insert name- facebook status confirms. no i didnt start that fire i was in cornwall -facebook status confirms-....oh the possibilities

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
... I'll be back, need to add this to my list of reason why not to reactivate my facebook. Damn this is beginning to be a big list...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
OMG this is going to be so awesome.....

At least until you find out your virtual girlfriend has been cheating on you with Cleverbot.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Japan has had something like this for a while. It sounds like those ever-popular vitual dating game (which some people have apparently married over there) gone the way of Facebook. I also imagine they will insert microtransactions into the service too, though what those paid services would be are too disturbing to contemplate.

Normally I would chalk this up to an april fool's joke, but it's too early.

Truth be told, I don't think there will be any point to "virtual girlfriends" until we actually have real VR or Neural Interface technology.

I'd also imagine it could provide some new inspiration for a modernized take on Fred Sabergagan's "Octagon" (a novel). The story having to do with the infancy of social games (this was back in the 1980s) back when things like Play-By-Mail gaming (where you paid by the turn), MUDs, and BBS "Door" games were the limit of interactive gaming. It's interesting to see how the technology for the game in that novel (Starweb if I remember) compares to what we actually have today (being very antiquidated).

The basic concept having to do with a computer playing these games, where you make alliances with other players. Contriving a way of "winning" it manufactures itself a robot body and starts heading out to kill other players, however this is being done for the benefit of one of the other players, a girl using the handle "Lucifer" who it won't kill for that reason.

The idea of a jealous computer is an old one, but I could see the concept seeming more real all of a sudden with technology going here. Especially when you deal with the idea of vitual entities, which are programs and databases that acehieve self awareness as opposed to deliverably created "artificial inteligences". The whole "I am not an AI, I was born in the primordial sea of information" schtick from Cyberpunk and dark future novels, and somewhat popularized to more mainstream nerddom via things like "Ghost In The Shell".

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Snowalker said:
I see this becoming a Hollywood movie, dude become so self consumed with this fake girl, he perceives her as real. Then the hard reality hits him... but then at the end, the programmer of the girl turns out to be holding the conversations with him instead of letting the program take over, they live happily ever after...
Holy shit, I some people do have clairvoyance
OT: Uhm, okay I guess? I'm not really sure there's a big market for this, unless there is, then okay.

Se7enUpMustang

Apr 7, 2010
Thats so dam sad. YOu all know though that there are people sho will use this and I doubt this is the last we will hear about it.

I bet a few months after it actually comes out there will be a story on here about how some loser got attached to his fake gf and killed himself when he came to terms with the fact that she isnt real.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
ah...ahh ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
What is that?
Ok, if someone has to resort to trying to get a girl jelous by using a fake girl, if the real girl ever finds out, which she probably will, the guy will look like a complete stupid bastard.
Shame on you cloud girlfriend! For promoting stupidity rather than trying to solve it!

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Fun Side of Brain: That's kinda funny, could be used as an intricate prank. Hilarious that going to the website gives you the message "Due to high demand we are only able to accommodate a limited number of users to the site. Register early to get in line."

Serious Side of Brain: That's just sad. The idea that people need a program to pretend they have a girlfriend is simply disturbing.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I may be REALLY tired of being the only single girl in the entire world (exaggeration, I know, but sometimes that's how it feels), but I'm not going to go create a fake SO. Lord of Nightmares...

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
That's just sadder than saying "I have a girlfriend from <insert far-off place here>." Tsk tsk. It's called getting off your lazy ass people!

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Hmmm...seems like it would be less weird if they also offered boyfriends. That seems like a copout, just signing up for a free virtual girlfriend. Itd be tiring having to continually lie to friends. It may just not be for me, though.