CoD is a very good game, we wouldn't be discussing it if it wasn't.

ThorUK

Dec 11, 2008
People talk about CoD because COD4 was a good and vaguely innovative game. The sequels haven't really added much, with the exception of money to the publishers' bank accounts, and rage to the internet.

Mind you, the BF series is much the same, it reached its zenith with BF2 and hasn't really produced a game as good since.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
theonecookie said:
son there be a storm brewing

also I agree Cod is rather good and the BF campaign looks abysmal from what I'v played of it multiplayers still good tho.
Yep, that storm has definitely come. Seems like noone on here can debate about CoD without throwing around insults and missing the point.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Cod has never really been shit, but it suffers from the same thing Halo does, which again is not shit...

Each new game does very little to stand out from the last, with the exception of Cod 3 -> Cod 4.
Since then how ever, it has been the same game more or less with upgraded graphics and different armory.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Glademaster said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Look people are annoyed at you and I should have looked at this first as you have possibly just made this topic for flamebaiting or to be a generic CoD defender. So what if someone doesn't like what you don't like. I love JRPGs as much as WRPGs but you don't see me making threads about them with faulty logic.

Now to point out the fault in your logic. You seem to think that something well received is a controversial and well discussed topic which is generally true but the logic does not work in reverse. Something well discussed is not necessarily good. This is something you have completely ignored and refuse to accept which is just furthered by you actually discussing your logic in the thread without actually really discussing with anyone actually indulging you and engaging with the topic.

So your logic is faulty and you are slightly derailing your own thread.
I didn't make this topic for either of those. I made it to give a point out and try to get some friendly debate in. You pointing out the flaws in my logic is fine, but when people just shout "your logic is bullshit" doesn't really earn them much of my respect.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
theonecookie said:
son there be a storm brewing

also I agree Cod is rather good and the BF campaign looks abysmal from what I'v played of it multiplayers still good tho.
Yep, that storm has definitely come. Seems like noone on here can debate about CoD without throwing around insults and missing the point.
The point: Modern Warfare 1 was a decent game. Still doesn't excuse everyone and their pet dog (Activision and EA especially) from copying it and making a hash of it.

I am sick and tired of identikit, QTE-infested linear corridor manshooters. And identikit military multiplayer manshooters with near-instagib levels of weapon damage where you have to unlock even the most basic of equipment, for that matter.

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
Why do people hate it? It's not because it's a rotting piece of shovelware - there's no way a dev team of 120+ could put out something of that quality bar - it's also not because of inherent, ego-driven anti-fanboyism. It's because of the -mindset- CoD brings to the gaming scene - it's the fact that financial motives have drive it into it being considered a franchise as opposed to an independent piece of art, the enormity of its advertising, disproportionatly high marketing relative to a somewhat mediocre game, and yeah, as everyone has stated, a total lack of innovation, along with the proliferation of the disease (oh my god) we've begun to call "conolitis." The "user friendly", "play it your own way" thought process. Pre-produced DLC just to reap extra dollars from buyers. Activision suing IF. It's all predictable. Is the game decent? Yeah, somewhat. Fun? Definately. However, it hasn't done anything for the gaming scene. Look to CDProjekt, Dice, and indie devs for that.

Enjoy your day.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
MassiveGeek said:
The Valet said:
Kurai Angelo said:
MassiveGeek said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Fucks sake.
If you want to be taken seriously, stop talking bullshit. Don't try to talk your way out of being confronted when you state things that are obviously just utter crap.

Then me, and I imagine a lot of other people, will start listening to you.

Capiche?
Again, basically what this chick is saying.

Stop dismissing people's objections to what you're saying just because you don't like it. Stop dodging the fact that most of what you've said has come straight out of your arse.
Fixed for you, my good sir.
Thank you, love.
Sorry! I tend to use the word 'guy' quite generally. I don't usually think of it as implying gedner association. Didn't mean to offend.

ToastiestZombie said:
Kurai Angelo said:
ToastiestZombie said:
OK! Ill take it out if that's what makes you happy. It was a bit incorrect to use it in this instance. But I did say after the quote that if you replaced Demoman with CoD it pretty much makes my point. It was kind of a disguised tl:dr
It really doesn't make me happy either way if you leave it there or not to be honest. I'd proabably crack a smile if you actually admitted it was wrong, which you still haven't done.

Also, no, just no. If you replaced 'Demoman' for 'Cod', it doesn't automatically make the sentence mean you want it to. It carries the meaning it originally intended which just doesn't support your point.

A TL:DR would've been something like; If Cod was so bad, we wouldn't discuss it as mucyh as we do.

So yeah, it was a 'bit incorrect' as you put it, it was just wrong to use it fullstop.
Saying the person should take something out because you disagree is not a good way to argue. It's just so easy to say that you aren't admitting your right and if you did I would chuckle.
You're not even reading what I wrote. I have never asked you to take it out. If you can quote me asking you to take it out please do.

I believe what I said would make me happy was if you admitted you were wrong but you can't do that because you're too proud of you inherently flawed argument that's based on even worse knowledge and evidence.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Theonly thing I complain about in CoD is lack of actual new features. I tend to buy games depending on how they do things differently, or that what they do is the best. I bought New Vegas becaus it has a brilliant oen-world system. I bought Oblivion because of the same, besides it's fantasy setting. Section 8 and it's sequel because it does things no shooter has before.

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
Also, it gets talked about to the degree it does because it's readily accessible for your everyday bashing. It gets TALKED ABOUT because people HATE it to the degree they do. BF3 is also talked about, yet for different reasons.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Kurai Angelo said:
MassiveGeek said:
The Valet said:
Kurai Angelo said:
MassiveGeek said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Fucks sake.
If you want to be taken seriously, stop talking bullshit. Don't try to talk your way out of being confronted when you state things that are obviously just utter crap.

Then me, and I imagine a lot of other people, will start listening to you.

Capiche?
Again, basically what this chick is saying.

Stop dismissing people's objections to what you're saying just because you don't like it. Stop dodging the fact that most of what you've said has come straight out of your arse.
Fixed for you, my good sir.
Thank you, love.
Sorry! I tend to use the word 'guy' quite generally. I don't usually think of it as implying gedner association. Didn't mean to offend.
No offence taken.
<3

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Twilight and Justin Bieber. Your premise is flawed.

I'll admit that a lot of people just like hating on what is popular, but there is genuine reason to dislike COD, just as there are genuine reasons to hate the things I mentioned above.

I don't HATE COD , persay, I think it's generic, bland and glitchy as hell, but it's an okay game to play sometimes. I do, however, hate Activision and will never buy another of their games again, but that's off topic.

Jun 11, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Glademaster said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Look people are annoyed at you and I should have looked at this first as you have possibly just made this topic for flamebaiting or to be a generic CoD defender. So what if someone doesn't like what you don't like. I love JRPGs as much as WRPGs but you don't see me making threads about them with faulty logic.

Now to point out the fault in your logic. You seem to think that something well received is a controversial and well discussed topic which is generally true but the logic does not work in reverse. Something well discussed is not necessarily good. This is something you have completely ignored and refuse to accept which is just furthered by you actually discussing your logic in the thread without actually really discussing with anyone actually indulging you and engaging with the topic.

So your logic is faulty and you are slightly derailing your own thread.
I didn't make this topic for either of those. I made it to give a point out and try to get some friendly debate in. You pointing out the flaws in my logic is fine, but when people just shout "your logic is bullshit" doesn't really earn them much of my respect.
Well it doesn't help when you have a title called Your local CoD defender basically labelling you as a fan, whether in jest or not but using a bad quote to back your logic and a generally badly put across point. If you wanted to discuss why is CoD so controversial and hated among the gaming community while it is generally well received by critics and others you should have stated that.

This is the internet. You have plenty of time to look up background information and formulate your response no one is going to force you to hit post and especially if you are the OP you damn sure better check what you said makes sense has little to no grammar/spelling errors, is not a passionate rant and well researched.

If you fail at that people will rip you to pieces. Also another important point don't ever expect a friendly debate on the internet on a forum about gaming about CoD/Halo/FF/FFVII/JRPGs/Vs threads/Repeat Threads/etc. There are a couple of more things but that is it off the top of my head. So unless you have a very good and unique point to make about any of those things it is best to ere on the side of caution and not mention them.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
People still talk about E.T. for the 2600 and Superman 64. I'm not saying CoD's anywhere near that bad, but just because people talk about it, doesn't mean it's good. Your logic can't only apply to CoD, otherwise it's not really logic, just a flimsy justification.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
FreakSheet said:
Tell you what, take back Black Ops and World at War (I'll be nice to Modern Warfare 2), release the maps as updates, and maybe release the game later on at a reduced price. and Voila! You have Team Fortress 2, a game that has been updates for four years (and still on going) and not completely ripping off its fanbase with multiple $15 map packs + releases year after year and will now charge for the privilege of stat tracking.
Except TF2 encourages teams to work together, whereas COD subscribes to the Counter-Strike model of team games: Just kill dudes; helping buddies won't help your score.

Not that that's bad, mind you.

Now, Call Of Duty, as a series, isn't bad. What it is is bland. Mediocre. Unoriginal. It's the Nickleback of video game series: The same tripe repeated over and over again, willingly bought up by people because it's familiar, with no innovation or interesting mechanics. Although, I will concede that I am interested in how many times the guy who invented iron sights was hit in the head, but that's neither here nor there.

By the way, your argument ("Talk is proportional to quality") is staggeringly invalid. Justin Beiber gets a lot of talk, as did Hannah Montana, as have the Jonas Brothers, Nickleback, and the Transformers movies. And yet, somehow, I am sure that you have criticized at least one of those at some point. The amount something is talked about is not related to its quality.

Lockwolf

Apr 2, 2010
I love how the OP whines every time someone uses his logic against him.

#1 rule of debating: If someone can disprove your logic immediately, your logic is flawed and you suck at debating.

CoD has done one thing good, piss off as many people as it can while still maintaining a massive fanbase (See "No Dedicated Servers in MW2 PC"). Lets look at a few things. One, even to this day, CoD is still using the Quake 3 engine from 12 years ago. Sure, you can say the same about a ton of games (like how Portal 2 is still running the source engine that powered HL2) but they haven't made a significant amount of changes from CoD 1 to MW3 to make the graphics seem all that impressive. Two, Multiplayer has become pretty stagnant. MW1 brought a lot to Multiplayer that a lot of the games at the time weren't. Looking at Black Ops (Since MW3 isn't out), not much has changed. You have a few new weapons, slightly tweaked gameplay, a little more customization but in essence, the game still plays the same. Finally, the community is either very defensive & filled with 12 year olds. I mean, sure, any popular series will have both these but its a valid argument to bring up. I cant even start a game without some kid talking about sleeping with my mom (Which, by the way, my mom is a stripper so hes probably an STD now). Or, if something new comes out (Like BF3), the second you make a comparison, you get the "OMFG! YOU FUCKTARD! COD IS THE BEST GAME EVER! X GAME CAN SUCK SOAPS ASS!" Any popular series will have such people but its worse than what I get when I tell people in Seattle that Kurt Cobain sucks (which happens a lot considering I live there).

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
The old games were pretty cool, the new ones are just flashy with no substance. That's my opinion.

Best shooter ever? Star Wars Battlefront. End of discussion :p

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Look guys, stop applying the logic that I have applied to COD and COD only and actually try to debate my OPINION.
Then it isn't a good argument. If we were to break your argument down, it would look something like this

1. if something is widely talked about then it is good
2. Call of Duty is widely talked about
------------------------------
3. Therefore it is good

Now you have a serious problem with premise 1 of your argument here. There are other reasons tha it could be widely talked about other than it being good, which others have pointed out via reductio ad absurdum. Or even if we were to take premise 1 as pertaining only to games, there's still the obvious case of Duke Nukem Forever which was widely talked about on here because it was so bad. Your argument is unsound and thus is a bad argument.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
[EDIT drei] tl:dr. If CoD was a crap game, would it be discussed and hated upon as much as it is?
So, Hitler was a good man, that is why the teach about him in school. Same with Bin Laden, Sadam, and Gaddafi because they talk about them on the news. Also Satan must be perfect, or why would all those christians keep talking about how bad he is?

Call of Duty was good, but now MW2 and BLops were horrid, and I bet MW3 will be even worse...

Lejsen

Mar 2, 2011
No argument that it's the same old same old generic shooter, but it is a really good generic shooter.