College Professor Requires Students to Study Portal

Death on Trapezoids

Nov 19, 2009
SultanP said:
Oh boy, I'm happy I haven't had any teachers/professors like that yet. The class just below me had to play Hitman as part of their course, and now this guy's students have to play Portal. Unlucky sods. Video games are entertainment, and I would be so pissed off if I had to complete a video game. It's not like reading a book, or watching a movie, where you can at least read the words or sit through it, even if you don't get the point of it. But if a part of a game gives you trouble, you're screwed, and here there isn't the option of just not doing it. Integrating video games into education is a horrible idea.
Can anyone say game tutors? Or even IGN?
(maybe that would be cheating)

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
I might be off the escapist for a few weeks. It appears I am now moving to Indiana to seek new institutions of higher learning.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
todays games will become like yesterday's "books"

they'll start getting boring because we'll have to play them in school and..."LEARN"...

my god have mercy on us all...

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Liberal Arts sounds awesome. As a CS major, I spend my time doing complex math courses, producing logic proofs and suddenly noting that my major has an (un)surprising lack of female participants.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
internetzealot1 said:
What if the student's can't beat the game? Do they fail?
Presumably not. Games are not a cultivate academic skill. I assume the course is based around the discussion of the themes present in the game, directly present or otherwise, which could be found without finishing. If that isn't enough, study groups do exist for a reason.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
konor77 said:
is this the first time something like this has happened?
No, its probably happened before. Its just taken as a big deal because it IS PORTAL!!!

L_Lawliet

Mar 24, 2009
Wabash College just doubled the number of student applications that it will get this year.

On topic, I hope this opens up a new realm for education wherein videogames with significant literary and conceptual merit can nestle themselves snugly in everyday curriculum alongside Shakespeare and William Faulkner.

Please note: I said CERTAIN games. I do not expect schools to have a unit on Mario Party.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
MrPop said:
Ok I didn't really understand the 'backstage' stuff but that seems pretty cool I guess. What does it have to do with the course though. I don't understand really...

I'm guessing I'll take a peep at the guys book and then maybe be put off if it's too long.

EDIT: I'm guessing near the end where Glados says all the "why do you carry on", "Nobody loves you" is kinda linked maybe. Also I thought the book would be a PDF document for some reason. Someone explain.
I wouldn't overthink it, the teacher guy is being a tad too pretentious here and stretching what was a very good breaking-the-fourth-wall conceptual idea, challenging conceptions of the puzzle genre, to a philosophical point it was never intended to make.

Still, the thing to take from this news is that someone is finally understanding the cultural relevance of the gaming medium. While the way in which the lecturer has interpreted Portal is going too far in my opinion, still I think he was right to include the game in his lectures. Its a fine example of how conventional storytelling can be challenged, and I wish it had been included in my Scriptwriting course.

Also...
Tom Goldman said:
After ensuring Wabash's faculty that Steam wasn't going to install a virus...
...how quaint!

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
Nazz3 said:
You're joking?

Best. Homework. Evar
No. I'm quite serious.

Have you ever written a English Literature essay?

When I do I often have to read the book several times over and when writing the essay, read through specific segments for quotes, themes and other writing material.

Imagine that with a video game. Granted a short video game, but that's 3-5 hours depending on your speed and many other factors.

Now imagine searching through the game for a specific moment.

It'd be bloody difficult and time consuming.

Give me Shakespeare anyday.
Portal has this awesome thing called "Save" and "Load" it also has the possibility to start at whichever level you want to start at.