College Professor Requires Students to Study Portal

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I question the value of using Portal as an example. Playing games can be integrated into learning (Isn't that what game theory is about?) but I think using portal is a bit of a stretch.

Neshel

Nov 12, 2009
HT_Black said:
Hm. Classy. I approve whole-heartedly. Get em' reading Watchmen(or playing Deus Ex) and we'll have something really going there.
My scifi class involved reading Watchmen, among other things.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of the greatest ideas in the history of schooling. Or at least the most fun.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
*Rolls on the ground laughing*
The awesomeness has me laughing so much that I can't write a proper comment. Now if you would excuse me.
*Continues aforementioned action*

akilae

Oct 12, 2009
oh, i misread College Professor requires students to study Postal. Now that would have been somewhat more interesting.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Finally, someone who uses one of the greatest games of all time for good.

Lyndraco

Jun 12, 2008
Yay, Indiana, way to finally be cool at something! I've always liked my home state, now I've actually got something to be proud of!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
This was a triumph.
A huge success? Only time will tell. I really hope they do something like that in our school.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
"...And to top it all off, the cake was a lie! Yes, I'm original and hilarious, I know.

Anyway, we will return to Portal with it's sequel's co-op campaign next spring. Until then, we'll be playing Mass Effect 1 & 2.

...For the study of human behavior, or... The rapid advancement of technology. Or something. GO PLAY THE FUCKING GAMES, CLASS."

That class would be cool.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
LordCuthberton said:
Still, I hold my ground.

What is easier, opening a book and going to marked out pages or a similar system.

OR

Doing what you said, including saves and recording footage?

It's just hassle and could be argued as busy work. Especially so if you only need 1 small quote to support a point.
I wasn't really arguing against you, I was just suggesting solutions if this somehow becomes popular. It'd be akin to studying movies, which isn't exactly a new concept.

Games have a long way to go before they prompt any meaningful analysis though.

And since you asked, considering it'd be a question of far less material to look through I'd say they're about the same.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Certainly a cool idea, and it fits the theme. My concern though is just how in-depth the study of this can really go. As something you might mention incidentally in a lecture it would work fine, because you could explain the basics of it to the students, and give them enough of your own interpretation to get them thinking. As something that they're all required to play, however, it presents numerous issues.

First up, that means every student has to get hold of an Xbox or a PC or something to run it on, unless the school provides computers just for this purpose. Second, unlike watching a film or reading a novel, where you can just sit down and plough through it to finish in time for class, Portal is a puzzle game that requires you to pass each challenge. Granted, the game is only a few hours long so its unlikely, but if someone were to consistently get stuck on one puzzle, they wouldn't be able to appreciate the text in its entirety.

Third, how do you discuss something like this in class, or in an essay? Portal isn't designed to be easily referenced (aside from the damn cake), it's designed to be a seamless videogame experience. My guess is that they'd have to sequentially number each puzzle challenge for the sake of easy referencing. And on that subject, with a novel you can bring it to class to reference what's being discussed, or they can show you the film and skip forward to the chapter. If a student or a professor raises a point about Portal in class, in order for them to look at said moment in game they will need to have a copy of the game in class with saved games at every puzzle. Logistical problems only, I know, but I hope they've thought this through.

Finally, I just hope this professor qualifies to his students how they can address video game techniques in a written response. Because if all they're going to do is quote the computer, they're not really doing justice to the medium. Portal is a rare example of a narrative that works best as a video game, and no one has really yet come to terms academically with the critical language to describe how it works. Expecting undergrads to make that leap is too much, really. What I hope happens is that this Prof puts out a paper on Portal and introduces some of these techniques, I'll be excited to read it...

vf501

Oct 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is it possible to make a post about Portal now without referencing a meme?
The meme is a lie.

(sorry couldn't resist)

In all seriousness. He should just require a playthrough for class discussion. Writing a report on this would be quite hellish. So discussion via Socratic method and comparison of like works would do for class.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I think this is awesome but non-gamers who can't navigate 3D space from a first person perspective are going to HATE this assignment.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
The same thing happened with 1984, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, [...]
Aww, I wish I had had such books to study back when I was in school.

Computer-based classes were out of the question (last year of high school, they had just "upgraded to Win3.1" .. in 1999...) and only few other people were reading scifi at all (which was a good thing however: more books just for me :D)

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
I've got that warm fuzzy feeling inside of me.

If only I were anywhere near that college. What's more, if only I was old enough to go to college.

Eh. I think I'll go play Portal now.