College Student Unveils Working Mass Effect Medi-Gel

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
rhizhim said:
its a sad day when you realise that people associate Medi-gel with Mass Effect and only Mass Effect...
As an experiment I just put "medi-gel" and "medigel" into google and every result was Mass Effect related. Not even a single link on the first results pages to Star Wars or Trek. Sad days.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
The test was nullified after traces of Horse DNA was found in the pig liver.

Im genuinely impressed. Now I know what to use in the even my liver comes under attack.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Personally, with this being about sealing over holes on the body, I'm getting very bad flashbacks to my personal most terrifying episode of fringe; "Ability".

In which people's eyes, mouth, nostril, and everything, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING ELSE, seals itself up.

Lumipon

Feb 15, 2013
I see how this could be amazing for paramedics and traffic/industrial accidents. Seems to need next to no training to use (just slap it on a wound?) so all you need is to be conscious to treat yourself or to have an untrained civ to help.

If this actually works and has no major side effects... it's going to be huge.

shieldheart204

Oct 17, 2012
VanQ said:
rhizhim said:
its a sad day when you realise that people associate Medi-gel with Mass Effect and only Mass Effect...
As an experiment I just put "medi-gel" and "medigel" into google and every result was Mass Effect related. Not even a single link on the first results pages to Star Wars or Trek. Sad days.
Isn't that because Star Wars has Bacta and Kolto? Or do they have another healing substance? I don't know much about Star Trek so I can't say that they don't have magic healing gel.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Cool, so now we have medi-gel. Let's see...

We already have:
Hello, computer!

We're getting there.

[/spoiler]

Cool man, the future is here! Hold on, wait just a second! Where's my jetpa--

Oh, there it is.
[spoiler=Yes, it has a parachute.][MEDIA=youtube]SHPedpE70Es[/MEDIA][/spoiler]

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I love that this was invented by a third-year college student. +1 to prodigy power! I wonder why nobody thought of this beforehand. Or did they, and were unable to make it work?
I wonder how much it will cost to produce. That would be pretty spectacular if you can just find it at your local pharmacy next to the bandages, or even INSTEAD of bandages.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Proving once again, that real world science advances much faster than science fiction writers give credit for.
Really, some disciplines advance faster while others advance slower. Back to the Future II predicted that flying cars and hoverboards would be commonplace by 2015, and we still don't have anything close to them.

Rogjah

Dec 5, 2012
After looking into it a little more, apparently he's applying for a research grant from the Department of Defense. He's hoping to eventually make a military version and call it "Medi-Gel". So basically Veti-Gel is for animals, Medi-Gel will be for people is the impression I get. Either way, pretty cool.

Captcha: background noise (I'm hurt)

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
rhizhim said:
VanQ said:
rhizhim said:
indeed.

anyways, i fear this medi-gel will just convert an open wound into an internal wound so you still might be able to "bleed out" into the inside of your body.
Ya I have my reservations too. As much as I hope this works, all the video shows is that the gel enters the wound and prevents the bleeding. I want to see this used on animal models, with hour by hour results.

Rogjah

Dec 5, 2012
bazaalmon said:
I love that this was invented by a third-year college student. +1 to prodigy power! I wonder why nobody thought of this beforehand. Or did they, and were unable to make it work?
I wonder how much it will cost to produce. That would be pretty spectacular if you can just find it at your local pharmacy next to the bandages, or even INSTEAD of bandages.
Stuff similar to this already exists. It's not exactly a brand new invention. This just works a little differently and seemingly better. I'm also interested in cost. I would assume it's not cheap and we probably won't see it at a local pharmacy anytime soon, but I could certainly be wrong.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
VanQ said:
rhizhim said:
shieldheart204 said:
VanQ said:
rhizhim said:
Isn't that because Star Wars has Bacta and Kolto? Or do they have another healing substance? I don't know much about Star Trek so I can't say that they don't have magic healing gel.
Star wars is Bacta, and Star Trek has many magical healing devices, the gel however, is Biomimetic Gel, which is an illegal substance for the most part, and they hardly have much use for it in a healing capacity.

OT: that's actually pretty awesome, no longer will I need to find the right size and type of band-aid. I can just slather myself in gel and be done! All my problems are now solved.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Will this stuff be available for little cuts you'll get around the house, or will it be strictly for life threatening stuff?

Because I mean it would be great either way, but I really want something for the little cuts I accumulate from my cats or shaving or whatever.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
That's all great and stuff, with the saving of human lives and all...but where's my god damned hoverboard!?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
As an NYU student, I'm pissed that this is the first I'm hearing of this. This school needs to get its priorities straight.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
But can this 'veti-gel' be converted to money when you go over the arbitrary amount you're allowed to carry?