Columnist Deems Enslaved Racially Insensitive

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
You know, I've never understood why people use "olive" as a skin tone. The only olives I've ever come across have been green, black or a kind of purplish color. None of which are the sort of "tanish" color that people seem to use the word to describe.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I disagree with his idea that the game has racial and/or slavery-based undertones. I think that's just overreaction. He's called Monkey because he can climb around scenery like the aforementioned primate. The same logic could be pointed at Russel Crowe, claiming his last name to be a racial slur. It's just a word that has another connotation that is, in this case, not being employed.

I do agree, though, that if Monkey were actually black, I would find myself making the same connections.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Foolishman1776 said:
Oh, it's racially insensitive? Oh my, I'm sorry person who wrote the article, were your feelings hurt? Please tell me what your point is? Are you concerned that someone might play the game and think that slavery is okay? If not, what are you worried about? Are you just complaining to get your quota of race card playing for this month?

(this written to the author of the original article, not the Escapist article)
I think we should send him to therapist Ermey...

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
People like this guy need to be kicked in the head, it's one thing to say that RE5 is rasist what with it's mud hut dwelling spear throwers half way in, but calling Enslaved racist because the enslaved character's name is Monkey? That's beyond stupid.

the_bearpelt

Dec 26, 2009
Honestly, I thought the racism was directed at the female character for a moment before I read. She's much closer to being dark-skinned than the man is. He looks white to me.

TheGreekDollmaker

Aug 21, 2010
Everyone who read Collumist as Communist please raise your hand.

Other than that another Resident evil 5 oh-its-kinda-racist thing.

Resident Evil 5 i can understand, a couple hours in and your killing native africans barely dressed with a 44. slugs.

Enslaved on the other hand? Really?

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
Because we all know, if you create any work even mentioning slavery, it automatically becomes offensive, I mean, look at the terrible works like Amistad and Glory. I mean, because they mention slavery, they must be terrible

In all seriousness this person is blabbing about nothing. Slavery is a subject and this person is one of those people who is so hypersensitive about it I'm guessing they are probably more racist than the game is. It reminds me of the person who claimed that L4D2 was racist because there were black people amongst the zombies.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
As a black guy, I can see what he's saying, but I also think he's just looking to start up some trouble. He's looking a bit deep into the subject for something that I just don't think is there. I do agree, however, that if Monkey's skin color was darker, I'd see a problem and speak up about it...but it ain't so go play the game and stfu, dude.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
KingPiccolOwned said:
Foolishman1776 said:
Oh, it's racially insensitive? Oh my, I'm sorry person who wrote the article, were your feelings hurt? Please tell me what your point is? Are you concerned that someone might play the game and think that slavery is okay? If not, what are you worried about? Are you just complaining to get your quota of race card playing for this month?

Agreed!
But still...what the hell is a "jack-wagon"?

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Jesus Christ, let him have his opinion! It's not like the hundreds of other people who condemn every game as a child-corrupting murder simulator. He's actually thought about what he's written and isn't condemning the game or calling for it's banning, he's just pointing something out which, to some, could have been thought about a little more before being put on shelves.

You guys are just as bad as the knee-jerk "video games are evil" people by being equal and opposite knee-jerks the second anyone outside the games industry criticizes any game.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Gamegodtre said:
Tim Latshaw said:
Everyone wants to end racism, right? But it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if it's not just bigots who want to see it continue. Gotta make a living somehow.
Didn't racism end when Obama got elected?
i thought it was about other things like gay marriage or Muslims now
No but it was definitely a sign of how far we've come. Racism will never end, some will always find any reason they can in order to somehow "justify" what they're doing.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I did think it would be rather annoying having to play a slave, myself.
But hey, I play games... why wouldn't I focus on the game part?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
When will people realize that this guy is the ignorant politically correct racist, who's entire point is to further the distance between social and racial equality...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Foolishman1776 said:

lol I love that commercial...

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
If you are even remotely of Chinese Descent, you should have heard of "Journey to the west", Hell, they made a kick-ass Chinese TV show out of it, I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about.

CRoone

Jul 1, 2010
Wait a minute, Enslaved is racist how?! I completely failed to pick up on that! Oh, well now I'm going to send nasty letters to the developer and producer because I believe every piece of inflammatory crap that I read! Oy...*uncaps flask, takes a swig*...

Seriously, Kyle Harvey (or whoever you are)...on one hand, I'm insulted that you took issue with something and didn't bother to make sure your position had merit (which, upon examination, it doesn't). This betrays you to be either a hack writer with nothing of import to say, or to be someone so insecure about their own racial heritage (black or white, either way) that you feel the need to fanatically make an issue over something that the rest of us no longer care so much about. Seriously, Barack Obama is the president of the United States, and he's of African heritage (somewhere down the line; at the very least, he can't put himself down in the census as "White" without getting some funny looks). Give it a rest already!

On the other hand, however, I'm a little surprised that the first issue taken with the game was a claim of racism, instead of a claim of sexism. If you wanted to write something inflammatory to get more page views, you might have been more successful if you did it *that* way. Think about it: a smaller, feebler, smarter girl getting a bigger, brawnier, more physical guy to help her? You couldn't have had the (utterly erroneous) idea presented any more easily or obviously if it had bothered to gift wrap itself within the folds of a flourescent-colored circus tent and launch itself at your face like a metaphysical cannon-ball to the tune of Yackety Sax.

This, at least in my mind, proves you the former of the claims above; a hack writer with nothing of import to say, and not enough motivation to get his facts straight or to approach from a more inflammatory angle that - I'm convinced - you could have thought to take if you had tried.

To conclude, a piece of advice:
EDIT: Don't go pulling a stunt like this again. People can believe and write what they want to believe and write, but it doesn't change the fact that you still look like a total idiot for doing so if your points are bad. If you want to spare your reputation, you'll learn from this. If not, then I suggest getting out of Journalism before you make things worse for yourself.