Come Together. Right Now.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
I felt the boycott was much-ado-about-nothing..but it was pretty interesting to see how valve handled it.

the MW2 dedicated server issue(if it turns out to be true) is a much more serious problem and I'd love to see a player based campaign rally enough ppl to get Activision to pay attention...but I doubt they'd do anything about it.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Dear lord. I don't see a single non-pejorative description of the boycott's efforts in that write up. Not one. I also don't see any inkling of an attempt to consider that Valve may have done something deserving of publicity driven shame.

You have an awful lot to learn about presenting an argument. This is a lopsided hit piece against fans who stood up against a media company and got results. You didn't even put your obvious scorn aside long enough to consider that there's actually two sides to this story and maybe they both had points

One thing you do succeed in is giving us all clear indication that you have no respect for the GAMERS (you know, your AUDIENCE) in this scenario. Your condescending tone should serve indicator enough as to why you understand neither the boycott nor why it succeeded.

Seriously, way to piss on someone's cake, dude.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
Dear lord. I don't see a single non-pejorative description of the boycott's efforts in that write up. Not one. I also don't see any inkling of an attempt to consider that Valve may have done something deserving of publicity driven shame.

You have an awful lot to learn about presenting an argument. This is a lopsided hit piece against fans who stood up against a media company and got results. You didn't even put your obvious scorn aside long enough to consider that there's actually two sides to this story and maybe they both had points

One thing you do succeed in is giving us all clear indication that you have no respect for the GAMERS (you know, your AUDIENCE) in this scenario. Your condescending tone should serve indicator enough as to why you understand neither the boycott nor why it succeeded.

Gamers do not equate to boycotters. All gamers did not boycott. How can he have no respect for gamers if he only disrespects the members of the boycott? I fail to follow the logic. The boycott does not represent the feelings of all "gamers."

I won't disagree that the article is biased. Don't expect much else, really. It's best to head to a legitimate online news source if you want a less obvious bias with your news.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
As a member of the boycott myself, I forgave Valve after I learned via a magazine article that there will be destructible terrain and that the director will have control of jets that drop bombs on you.

That is not a joke.

Cries of corruption and collusion, are BS. As if Valve would do something redonkulous like pay off two kids for starting an internet petition ohnoz. The fact Valve ADDRESSED this is a good sign, and the fact these two decided to be mature adults and close the boycott when they felt their greivances had been redressed is even better.

The failboys however, will always resist peace.

Jan 3, 2009
Did I miss something with the boycott?

Did they burn down valve's office or something? What happened here because I am so confused by this article.

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Samurai Goomba said:
I won't disagree that the article is biased. Don't expect much else, really. It's best to head to a legitimate online news source if you want a less obvious bias with your news.
Heck, I'll do you one better. I would recommend heading to a news post of some kind for news. In fact, here's one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95455-L4D2-Boycott-Closing-Down

This article I've put together is an Op-Ed -- an opinion piece. Thing about an Op-Ed, it's pretty much always biased. That's kind of the point.

SaintWaldo said:

I don't begrudge your disagreement with my position, but I'm unsure if you think I am being disrespectful for not agreeing with the premise of the boycott or for voicing my opinion in an opinion piece?

I'm really not here to present all sides of a story.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Sean Sands said:
Samurai Goomba said:
Heck, I'll do you one better. I would recommend heading to a news post of some kind for news. In fact, here's one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95455-L4D2-Boycott-Closing-Down

This article I've put together is an Op-Ed -- an opinion piece. Thing about an Op-Ed, it's pretty much always biased. That's kind of the point.
Hopefully I'm not coming off as overly harsh or critical of your article. I learned with the Shamus Young pieces that The Escapist seems to have a lot of editorials. If one isn't sure, it's best to assume whatever one is reading is a biased opinion. Which is not to say it can't be informative, interesting or well-supported. I quite liked this one.

At this point, the demands of the boycott group are honestly starting to sound a little like people who cannot be pleased. The big problem I would have had (lack of support for the older game) seems to be in the process of being resolved. Anything after that (like gripes about how the new content isn't coming fast enough, or isn't "good" enough) seem a like rather petulant whining to me.

I mean, no matter what game it is, you can't force people to make "good" content, because "good" is a completely subjective descriptor (as long as the new content isn't totally buggy).

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Samurai Goomba said:
Hopefully I'm not coming off as overly harsh or critical of your article. I learned with the Shamus Young pieces that The Escapist seems to have a lot of editorials. If one isn't sure, it's best to assume whatever one is reading is a biased opinion. Which is not to say it can't be informative, interesting or well-supported. I quite liked this one.

At this point, the demands of the boycott group are honestly starting to sound a little like people who cannot be pleased. The big problem I would have had (lack of support for the older game) seems to be in the process of being resolved. Anything after that (like gripes about how the new content isn't coming fast enough, or isn't "good" enough) seem a like rather petulant whining to me.

I mean, no matter what game it is, you can't force people to make "good" content, because "good" is a completely subjective descriptor (as long as the new content isn't totally buggy).
No, I've got no problem with people challenging my articles. To be honest, I write this stuff more to get a sense of what other people think about a topic than any self-aggrandizing or self-promotion. I've done my time in the realm of widespread gaming journalism, and I'm happy here in my twilight years and the tiny corners I've carved out for myself.

I just wanted to be clear that being biased is the whole point. The last thing I want someone to think after reading my articles is that they've got the whole, unfiltered story. I'm here to kick off discussion, not write the final word on anything.

If anything, I think you and I share a fundamental position on the motivations of the boycotters. What stood out to me is how the "founders" of the boycott broke that untenable mold and met at common ground. Compared to those who seem simply unable or unwilling to be pleased, it was a refreshing change.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
SaintWaldo said:

Gamers do not equate to boycotters. All gamers did not boycott. How can he have no respect for gamers if he only disrespects the members of the boycott? I fail to follow the logic. The boycott does not represent the feelings of all "gamers."
I never made the equivalences you assert here, or at least I didn't mean to. Note the use of the qualifying phrase "in this scenario", meaning, "the gamers who brought the boycott". If you thought I equating all gamers with the ones who ran the boycott, I apologize and hope these sentences clarify my position.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Sean Sands said:
I don't begrudge your disagreement with my position, but I'm unsure if you think I am being disrespectful for not agreeing with the premise of the boycott or for voicing my opinion in an opinion piece?

I'm really not here to present all sides of a story.
And my point is that you can also take steps to present your opinion in a balanced and reasoned format. As it stands, you engaged in a multi-paragraph screed that could be summed up by repeating the phrase, "These gamers are whiny ass titty babies and Valve did nothing wrong," 14 or 15 times. There's literally zero train of thought illumination as to why someone else might choose to share your opinion. Which, forgive me , I thought was the whole point of an opinion piece.

I recognize an opinion piece. However, forgive me, again, for expecting more from your publication than untempered and unshielded diatribe as opposed to a cogent presentation of a well thought out position. I simply have standards.

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Might try a bit of that "balanced and reasoned" sauce yourself. Not sure which glasses you're using to do all that reading between the lines, but I think the prescription is a little off.