Command & Conquer Changes Up Middle Eastern GLA

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
What's with the C&C: Generals Hate? I sunk more time into that and Zero Hour than I did any of the previous C&C games, and I loved the Red Alert series. (Generals just came at a time when going to a friend's place and having super fun lantimes was viable, because I had my own car).

Insurance Salesman

Sep 15, 2009
Seriously, guys? The GLA in the first game was actually funny to me in a guilty way, but c'mon: it basically portrayed the Middle East as a backwards wasteland filled with suicide bombers and impoverished cannon fodder. The only way they could be more insensitive would be to make an African faction that uses throwing spears, builds grass huts for buildings and dresses in furs. This is hardly 'PC overload'.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
A anti-western terrorist group coming out of the middle east? How incredibly offensive. I mean, its not like its based in reality, the Middle East and North Africa are hardly locations with lots of competing radical militant groups, islamist revolutionaries, and inter-tribal warfare, right? Right? Seriously guys, the Middle East and North Africa have alot of terrorist groups. Lets be honest about this. No need to go all PC and declare anything remotely resembling a stereotype racism, even if its based in reality.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
A terrorist organization from the Middle-East? Can't for the life of me imagine where they may have gotten a crazy offensive idea like that from. Oh yeah - YESTERDAY'S NEWS.

What a pointless cop-out. Not like it'll negatively impact the game a great deal, but it's still annoying to see devs make changes like this and say it's because "someone got offended". So be offended, nothing happens when you're offended. You don't wake up the next morning with the black plague if something offends you. Grow some thicker skin damn it!

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Dammit, now my friends and I can't say "AK-47s...for EVERYONE!!!!" and "Shut your GLA Hole!" anymore.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
I get where they're coming from, but C&C have based virtually all of their non-Tiberium games off racist/cultural stereotypes. If they want these games to be less "offensive", they have a hell of a lot more work to do.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I remember playing the C&C Generals when I was younger, and looking back I realized how blatant the stereotypes of Chinese and Arabs are in that game. Seriously, I think a quarter of my view of the Middle East back then came from that game, and this is the game where giving workers shoes was an in-game upgrade, suicide bombers and toxin weapons make up a bulk of the game's units, base buildings ALWAYS look like mosques and Middle Eastern buildings regardless of the actual battlefield, and GLA units quip wacky quotes ("AK-47s for everyone!" was my favorite)
I'm Chinese myself, and in the China campaign level I had to blow up my city's own convention center because it's being occupied by terrorists; which makes as much sense as blowing up a bank because there's a robbery going on inside. And if the game's got it right, the fucking Red Guard is still a thing in the year 2020.

I still enjoy how over-the-top the game is, but unlike C&C Red Alert, where every faction and character had exaggerations turned up to 11 and the game is aware of its own nature, this game adds a level of seriousness that gives the personalities of each faction more legitimacy. Parts of the game are lifted right out of the ongoing War on Terror (including the first USA campaign mission involving the American invasion of Baghdad), which adds to the realistic feel of the game. Like I said, a part of my perception of the Middle East as a kid came from this game, and the war in Afghanistan and Iraq that was happening at the exact same time didn't help matters.

But the thing is, I don't think the changes they'll bring to 'diversify' the new C&C would be significant, because for all we know the new generals are going to be from Russia or North Korea; the typical media punching bags. It's not going to eliminate the fact that there are extremist groups in the Middle East, but it's just going to show that not ALL of them are in the Middle East. And while I do think the Middle East is used too commonly as the home of antagonists in video games, the GLA is an organization that came from the Middle East, and changing that fact is merely replacing it with a group from another non-Western country.

I think a better route is the humanize the GLA faction by showing a clear (if twisted) reasoning behind their actions, and also emphasize the fact that the leaders aren't two-dimensional characters. Give the generals clear backstories and make them somewhat sympathetic. I'd say that the units should also be given more humanity as well, but it's C&C: when your infantry gets run over by a train or incinerated by napalm, all you do is shrug and build another.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
All of the factions in Generals were stereotypical as hell, no one cared. If it's an issue now why didn't they just pick a new goddamn setting?

Samuki Elm

Dec 11, 2012
I love how this thread has people screaming, "IT'S NOT OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME EVERYONE IS TOO PC" and others chiming in, "YEAH, AND ARABS ARE ALL TERRORISTS ANYWAY."

Both anti-political correctness advocates and racists agree! Make the GLA Middle Eastern again! Because that's integral - now the plot just doesn't make sense.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Samuki Elm said:
I love how this thread has people screaming, "IT'S NOT OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME EVERYONE IS TOO PC" and others chiming in, "YEAH, AND ARABS ARE ALL TERRORISTS ANYWAY."

Both anti-political correctness advocates and racists agree! Make the GLA Middle Eastern again! Because that's integral - now the plot just doesn't make sense.
Come now, that is a MASSIVE strawman. The point most people are making is that, lets face it, the middle east has a problem with militant groups. Thats not racist, thats facing facts. And changing just about everything about a faction on the basis of some people were offended is pretty much political correctness in a nutshell.

Mar 19, 2010
It is a bloody GAME. I do not understand all this people omg it is racist full of stereotypes it is offensive bla bla bla bla.... What a nonsense. I played General when I was a kid and i loved it it was one of my favorite games at the time because it was fun and the setting and factions were fun to play had their unique background and strategy plus the game looked stunning in that time.
Political correctness is effin cancer.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I didn't even think about racism when I played this game to death. All of the lines were either corny or really basic stuff you here in war movies so I could never took it serious at all. They've been doing the stereotype thing all the way so why give a shit now? Make it an option at least.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I find their lack of a spine offensive, but whatever just another example why C&C4 is going to have a friend with them in Nod's dungeon as shittest C&C games ever.

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
While I do hate that they caved in to the typical political correctness bullshit, at least this only effects the GLA generals, and not the actual faction itself.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
All of the factions in Generals were stereotypical as hell, no one cared. If it's an issue now why didn't they just pick a new goddamn setting?
I think the point everyone seems to be missing is that they did. Different factions fighting with different units in different places in a different future-ish world. How is that now a new setting? As far as I can see they haven't even suggested it's related to Generals, certainly there's nothing mentioning it on their site. In fact, as I mentioned on another article recently, the biggest problem with this game is that it doesn't appear to have any connection to any of the C&C franchise at all, all they've done is tack the name onto a completely unrelated game. So complaining that they've changed one particular faction seems a bit odd given that, since they've actually changed everything.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
See this is why focus groups sucks. ( I don't know if they used focus groups but it certainly reminds me of other examples of this)

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not too familiar with the game, but from the sounds of it, its operations are based in the Middle East and it is made up mostly of Middle Easterns accordingly. I don't see how this is a problem. Do you see the Middle East being a cultural melting pot where any colour person is just as likely to be a general? At any rate, we'll see what they change them to. It could be 5 different Middle Easterns and still make sense, or it could inexplicably have a white guy and a black guy in there as well for the sake of variety.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I love Generals, I still play it to this day & for an army called The "Global" Liberation Army I always wondered why they where just middle eastern & not a more diverse group. I honestly don't care if they changed it as long as Dr. Thrax is still basically the same. I might play the new one, but I'm not real happy about the multiplayer focus.