Commander Shepard Raps About Mining for Minerals in Mass Effect 2

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
That was pretty good.

I liked how he used the Galaxy Map song in the background.

Well done!
Aye, pretty sweet!

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
I don't realy have a problem with either the Mako or scanning for resources, but maybe i'm just weird. I never understood all the complaints about either.

As for the song, i didn't listen to it. In the words of the infamous Kaiba, " I don't listen to crap". (Yu Gi Oh abridged refference)

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
Misleading title is misleading. Should be renamed to something akin to "Fan makes Mass Effect Mineral's Rap" or some such. Then again, most people probably wouldn't care about that.

falcon1985 said:
I don't realy have a problem with either the Mako or scanning for resources, but maybe i'm just weird. I never understood all the complaints about either.

As for the song, i didn't listen to it. In the words of the infamous Kaiba, " I don't listen to crap". (Yu Gi Oh abridged refference)
He did also say "I love this song..."

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
The_Oracle said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Is the world that enamored with Mass Effect 2 that this counts as news?
The answer is yes.

I didn't really like the rap either; maybe it's because mineral scanning didn't bother me as much as it did for some other people.
Same for me. I basically completely scanned two clusters and was set for the rest of the game. I probably missed out on a lot of the mini-quests due to my huge amounts of resources. I think I had about 37,000 Eezo at one point, and about 200,000 of the other three. I didn't bother after that.

But then I was using a mouse. Perhaps that helped?

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
I honestly didn't mind scanning planets for minerals. I'm just glad I don't have to drive all over any given planet's surface in a vehicle that handles like a coffee mug with cucumbers for wheels.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Haven't played the game, not listening to the lyrics anyway: that atmospheric beat is seductive and the flow is killer. I'm assuming the music is also sampled from the game, then laid over the beat. That alone has me sold.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Xzi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This is news how?

I couldn't listen past 1:20 without getting sick of it and turning it off.
Aww, someone's a little bit of a sour-puss today.
I should be. ME2 took most of the RPG out of ME. And there wasn't too much there to begin with. It's good, but its been dumbed down to a shooter with a few powers and a handful of skill points.
I don't know, the fact that you Role Play as a hero with a choice system that still allows you to feel like a hero (although one of the anti- variety) where you determine who you play as exactly (my character ended up being a nice person who near the end of the game had just about had enough and took Renegade options due to both this and the fact that I thought not doing so once had lead to a good friend getting gunned down, as if the events of the game had changed him even though I was the one choosing everything), that you spend as much time talking to people and making decisions about what to say as you do shooting, and that you have to decide on which extra power out of all of your teammates special abilities best suits you character (as well as choosing how every power eventually evolves) sort of made it feel a bit more RPG to me. The elements removed did bring it down a bit, but a lot of those were really annoying. The fact that you had to go through a skill tree to slight upgrade an ability is less fun than getting a large boost in power. While there were more weapons in ME1, it still came down to finding the best gun and using it (and you would change weapons so often you could never really get attached. Yes I would prefer a skill tree where all characters ended up different and different variations of guns rather than just 2 where one is the clear better with some drawbacks (though you do also get to choose once again between playing styles by choosing your weapon of choice).

As for the rap, pretty good (for laughs at least), though the video got annoying way too quickly.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Xzi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This is news how?

I should be. ME2 took most of the RPG out of ME. And there wasn't too much there to begin with. It's good, but its been dumbed down to a shooter with a few powers and a handful of skill points.
It's a simple RPG, but it's a great game.

You can't think in terms of absolutes. Is ME2 a better game for not having as many Pen&Paper RPG elements? I think so, it fits better with the pace and atmosphere set in the first game. P&P style RPGs aren't innately superior to the Pseudo-real time shooter shown in ME2 (really the only thing they did away with was in-depth Item collecting and inventory), and this game turned out a better experience without.

I.E. I think you first need to prove that a simplified RPG model is an inherent negative.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Hybridwolf said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
You got that far? I only got about 10 seconds in...

OT: Although I didn't like the song, The scanning was rubbish. Even with the upgrades it still was slow, tedious and more boring then driving the mako up a cliff...
Aw, come on. Driving the Mako up a sheer cliff face was awesome!!! It also took you like an hour to get to the top and most of that was just the 6 tires slipping around, but whatever.

Haven't actually played ME2 yet, but I plan on it. I kind of liked this rap cause it was so random (and the lyricist was actually quite good).

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Xzi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This is news how?

It's a simple RPG, but it's a great game.

You can't think in terms of absolutes. Is ME2 a better game for not having as many Pen&Paper RPG elements? I think so, it fits better with the pace and atmosphere set in the first game. P&P style RPGs aren't innately superior to the Pseudo-real time shooter shown in ME2 (really the only thing they did away with was in-depth Item collecting and inventory), and this game turned out a better experience without.

I.E. I think you first need to prove that a simplified RPG model is an inherent negative.
I have to agree with this, really.
ME2 is a more simplistic RPG, and it wouldn't work as a number cruncher. One problem I had with ME1 was how minor each upgrade was as you went along and there were a lot of numbers that really seemed to make a difference. At least in ME2 BioWare cut down the amount of numbers you had to pay attention to and instead of 3 types of armor (little difference between Mantis X in medium and heavy, for example) they used the armor to give you useful stats that you could choose yourself. If you want extra ammo - use those leg guards, if you want your biotics to be more powerful - use a certain chest piece and so forth.

ME2 wouldn't work if it had a similar stat system to Dragon Age, and on the other hand Dragon Age wouldnt work as well if it was more simplistic like ME2. You have different types of RPGs for different types of gameplay, and to compare them (IMHO) can be akin to comparing the FPS and the Simulation genres.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
You know what'd be awesome? Setting this song to play whenever you start scanning.