Commodore 64 Resurrected with 2011 Parts

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
-snip-
mini-ITX actually.
Okay, I haven't built a machine since early '08 and while that was a mini-ATX in a small-ish case I've never been too big on building tiny machines. I didn't do any research before I posted so I'll just assume that you're more up-to-date on small-form factor mobos.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
Oh my God. I want this so much. I don't care that it comes with the abomination of the Linux world. That can easily be fixed with my Fedora live CD.

I can see my Fallout style terminal already...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
T-Dawg said:
Better include a C64 emulator and disk images of classic games is all I'm saying.

Will it be able to plug directly into a TV? :)
Given the presence of what appears to be an HDMI slot in the back panel photo, I think plugging to a tv seems to be a safe bet. (though most modern HDTVs are VGA capable. and theres one of those too)

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
i really want one of these. So damn cool. I'd love to get one of those Barebones models.

vrbtny said:
Running Ubuntu 10.04? That's got security loopholes.... sorry had to mention it.
Though you could always install a different OS.
Ubuntu also breaks the Unix philosophy of program design which is that programs should do one thing and do that one thing to perfection, regardless of how it actually does it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Sounds like that's the plan, more or less. (although not just yet, by the sounds of it. The article says they're intending to send out a collection of games later on, and a custom OS.)
They could fit every C64 game ever made on to one cd (most games were 50-100kb in size), but they will likely have maybe 12 per dvd (1mb of data on a 8.7gb disc).

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
When I moved, I had to leave my C64 in storage. Still miss it. Took my 1702 monitor [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSD_Super_Disk] with me, though. They were both trash heap salvage (the dual drive just needed a new fuse and the working monitor needed a spot of larceny to obtain despite being "junk", funny story there), so I get kinda sentimental about them. (Hugs SD-2.)

Even used the monitor for a while before I got a TV and a VGA monitor. Came in very handy, all in all!

As to this new one.... Eh. It's cute and all and if desk space is limited it'd be nice but.... It's just a PC with a beloved brand slapped on it.

Fun fact! A Commodore 64's monitor output is split into luminance and chrominance, just like S-Video [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video]! The plug differences are the only thing keeping a C64 from using any S-Video-capable device for output.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
psivamp said:
thenumberthirteen said:
-snip-
mini-ITX actually.
Okay, I haven't built a machine since early '08 and while that was a mini-ATX in a small-ish case I've never been too big on building tiny machines. I didn't do any research before I posted so I'll just assume that you're more up-to-date on small-form factor mobos.
I read what it said on the website. Though without any slots for expansion cards there's only a few options for bitchn' gaming rigs and heat management may be an issue. I'd put in one of <url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-330-GI&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=1949>these.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
It is really, really ambitious to do this thing. Weird. I dunno what else to say except that I hope they do well, but I certainly won't be one to shed my cash on it. I like being able to go and buy a new keyboard from wherever if mine breaks down, and the same for my monitor or any other pieces my computer might need. It would be a mess for me, otherwise.

Feb 13, 2008
Now we just need Andrew Braybrook, Jeff Minter and Archer Maclean on games, Rob Hubbard and Tim Follin on SIDs, Mastertronic to do £1.99 releases, Zzap 64! to do the reviews and everything will be awesome.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Superballs said:
OMIGOD....omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod-omigod.

Nuff Said from me
ahem

sorry, had to be done

as for me, I may get it, but they need to release it with a new Atomic Robo-Kid as a launch game

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I saw this a while ago, and while I didn't own that version of the C64, mine was cream and bit sleeker looking, it brings back fond memories.

I honestly think the PC world lost something special when Commodore folded. The C64 and the Amiga were both incredible machines years ahead of anything Apple or IBM could put out, usually at a much cheaper price.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
008Zulu said:
CrystalShadow said:
Sounds like that's the plan, more or less. (although not just yet, by the sounds of it. The article says they're intending to send out a collection of games later on, and a custom OS.)
They could fit every C64 game ever made on to one cd (most games were 50-100kb in size), but they will likely have maybe 12 per dvd (1mb of data on a 8.7gb disc).
They might put it on a CD instead, because that way they can save about .001 cent per copy.

Or they could just put all of them on a single CD as you stated before, if they can get licenses for the games.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
They might put it on a CD instead, because that way they can save about .001 cent per copy.

Or they could just put all of them on a single CD as you stated before, if they can get licenses for the games.
Most of the library is by companies that no longer exist, abandonware. The irony is since most of the original copies no longer exist, they would have to use the pirated copies found on the emulator websites.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Thankfully, CEO Barry Altman is keeping the clicky keyboard from the original.
This alone makes me happy. But with those specs it isn't much worth going for unless they include an emulator of the original with some choice games and programs. Especially if it includes the Basic Programmer.

Gritimo The Odd

Aug 25, 2009
The Originall C64 was what first got me hooked into gaming, we never bought an origninal gameing console like the atari, NES, or Sega systems. we used it for basic word processing and homework for a while untill we got newer computers with better tech for functionality, but we always had games for the C64, you could find em for cheap at thrift stores and bargain electronic sections for a good while and that machine was fairly durable. ours lasted a good 15 years before it finally died on us.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
You made this 32 year old weep with joy...

I loved my brother's Commodore 64 way more than my 6 year old self should have. I have fond memories of inserting the 5 1/4" floppy disk into the drive and typing in the load "*",8,1 command to boot up my favorite games like Impossible Mission and Jumpman.

ME TOO - Games like Mail Order Monsters and just some... weird stuff... that I haven't ever been able to get to work properly on emulators ever since.

I need to get one of these for sheer retro kitsch value! I don't even know what I'll use it for!

SQUEE!

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
You made this 32 year old weep with joy...

I loved my brother's Commodore 64 way more than my 6 year old self should have. I have fond memories of inserting the 5 1/4" floppy disk into the drive and typing in the load "*",8,1 command to boot up my favorite games like Impossible Mission and Jumpman.

ME TOO - Games like Mail Order Monsters and just some... weird stuff... that I haven't ever been able to get to work properly on emulators ever since.

I need to get one of these for sheer retro kitsch value! I don't even know what I'll use it for!

SQUEE!
vrbtny said:
It sounds like cheap gaming Imac.... which sounds goods. Running Ubuntu 10.04? That's got security loopholes.... sorry had to mention it.

I may invest in one of these.... just hope the games are good.
What operating system *doesn't* have security loopholes...?

Besides IT'S RETRO KITSCH! :D

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Man I want one... I miss my brothers old C64... which my father threw away a few years ago :(