Commodore 64 Resurrected with 2011 Parts

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
... really?
am I the only one who thinks this is preposterous aside from gimmicky sales? I could pay 1000 for an alienware m11x, wait... I did, and I've never been happier.

yes I build my own desktops, but if you're looking for an all in one package there are definitely better options.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I guess this was before my time, but... Why was the commodore 64 so amazing? First computer I ever had was a pentium 2 with windows 3.1. Looking back on it, it was fine at the time, but I wouldn't want it now.

Seriously, though. Why was Commodore so cool?

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
I almost had a nerdgasm. Though I never had a C64, I did have a Commodore 128 that ran basically, if not exactly, the same OS and enjoyed playing the Commodore games. I'd waste so many days using the joystick I stole from my Atari 2600 playing Bruce Lees, Impossible Mission, California Games, and GI Joe among others. I learned how to type playing the Commodore Spiderman text adventure game. Good times

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
hell yeah, those were really popular here in the 80's. I had even the little brother (C16) with a Datassette. They were an important part of the "system wars" (Amiga vs C64 vs IBM PC) as well. Good gaming times without the ADDH kids on XBox Live...

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Holy god! I'm tempted to pick one up out of sheer curiosity. I wonder, also, if these units will be as "flexible" as the originals were . . . if so

I'm curious how many users here have ever used the original C64 or C128 . . . those of us who had, I'm sure we all hold fond memories of this rig.

tehweave said:
I guess this was before my time, but... Why was the commodore 64 so amazing? First computer I ever had was a pentium 2 with windows 3.1. Looking back on it, it was fine at the time, but I wouldn't want it now.

Seriously, though. Why was Commodore so cool?

It was bare-bones, in a manner of speaking. The units and programming code were extremelly flexible and mod friendly . . . in many underground circles, the C64 was regarded as the ultimate hackers tool due to it's moddability, hardware access and portability.

Otherwise, the hardware end was what earned it's reputation - at the time, it was really the only "PC" where a user could write their own machine level code for control and operation of the hardware systems. As well, trade publications were constantly, constantly publishing tutorials and articles on how to code this, write that program, mod the motherboard, replace this component, etc. etc. The hardware capabilities were respectable on release.

Just for a quick example, here's a short list of the PEEK/POKE commands that allowed a user direct hardware access http://ready64.it/articoli/_files/043_pokesc64.txt [http://ready64.it/articoli/_files/043_pokesc64.txt]. The full list of commands is pretty intense, and you could essentially write and execute programs/code on-the-fly.

Now - I highly doubt this re-incarnation will be that accessible to the general user (some hope with it running Linux), and I highly doubt it'll top the reputation and respect of the original . . . but there's only one way to find out :D

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
So damn tempting, I still have an old C64, I just generally don't pull it out due to the need to hook into a TV(which I don't have) and the space to leave it set up(which I also don't have)

Kaisharga

Dec 5, 2007
If it can't read my C64 diskettes, I'm not really interested. Hell, I'd still be using my C128 except for some kind of loose connection in the thing making it completely unreliable for use.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Will they be selling "Reset" carts? Or will we have to risk the "Hamster Reset"? I still have a functioning C64, but I feel the nostalgia pulling at my credit card. I just need to find a use that will justify the purchase.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
This is a great opportunity for the company plus it will help educate the newer generation of nerds about their roots.
Obviously they are not going to get wide market success with a computer that looks like that (aluminum fetish) but the nerd demographic, particularly the older one will love it.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
How'd they fir so much stuff in that thing? Why can't MY desktop be that small, or more importantly, why can't my laptop?... This is depressing.

I'm from the "90's so I have no experience with the commodore, but I guess it's a good sign everybody love(d/s) it.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
I still have one in mint condition and original box and a load of games for it. This is the best computer ever (if you can call a keyboard computer). :)

DaRigger420

Jun 26, 2010
A retro look for a modern pc........... OH H*LL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

I want one of these, especcially if they include the original Zork with the software.

Gotta get an OP shirt(ocean pacific for you younguns), a pair of hightops, crank the 80's metal hairbands and look up my 4th grade teacher and whip his tail in DOS coding again!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Please remake Wizard of Oz, PLEASE Remake Wizard of Oz, PLEASE... OH GOD PLEASE.

P . L . E . A . S . E . Period.

Infact, remake Zork- NO! Every Siera game on the f*ckin' system!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Graham and his friends must be torn between squealing in joy over this and wondering if this is just a cash-in on nostalgia.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I wouldn't buy one as I'm not too fond of the C64 (I was more of an Amiga guy), but certainly my dad will like it, I'll start saving some money to buy one of these for my dad.