Communities that ruined the game.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Merkavar said:
omega_peaches said:
So, I don't know how, but a friend on PSN and I got into a talk about MW2, and I brought up an interesting point, MW2 could have been the best Call of Duty, ever! But, the community, the ones that use the OMA noobtubes, campers, all that, is what ruined it. So, thanks to the community, MW2 MP turned out to be really mediocre.
What can the escapist think of?
campers dont ruin anything. people who complain about campers are what ruin things. campers are easy to kill since they are staying in the same spot.

I played MW2 on pc and i didnt really notice to many issues with it. people camped and used noob tubes but it didnt really affect anything. appart from all the bitches complaining about the campers and noob tubers instead of just playing the game.

people just need to play the games and get some skill. If you get killed by a noob tuber does it really matter?

i cant think of any community that ruins a game. cause the community normally has no power over the players. and its normally the minority that ruin things for people so its easy to avoid them.
I don't mind the actual grenade launcher itself, I myself use it when there is a crowd of enemies in one area, but what I have a problem with is getting spawntubed, right when the game starts.
I also like your logic, because I dislike something, and state it, I need to get skill, nice reasoning.
Owyn_Merrilin said:
omega_peaches said:
So, I don't know how, but a friend on PSN and I got into a talk about MW2, and I brought up an interesting point, MW2 could have been the best Call of Duty, ever! But, the community, the ones that use the OMA noobtubes, campers, all that, is what ruined it. So, thanks to the community, MW2 MP turned out to be really mediocre.
What can the escapist think of?
The community may have ruined it in the sense that having obscenities randomly screamed at you tends to ruin a game, but the fact that there were broken weapons and perks, and the fact that camping was game breaking, instead of useless or a fair, valid strategy, suggests that it was the game design that was broken, not the community. I'm not one of those guys who goes around quoting Sirlin, but I do agree with him that these things aren't a problem in a well balanced game. Now the problem is finding a game that actually has the kind of balance that his book requires; most of the people who parrot it tend to forget the fact that, in Sirlin's own words, "degenerate games" aren't worth playing competitively.
OH! I completely forgot what I was going to say in my OP, MW2 was 1 patch away from being possibly the best CoD yet, but the IW fiasco certainly didn't help that, but IW didn't really do much even while they were all there.
(CARE PACKAGE GLITCH)

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Konatacalypse said:
Halo.

My dear God Halo.
You stopped lurking jsut for that?

Welcome!

Anyway, meh, I guess some communities ruin the experience for me. Rome Total War has some massive tools on there. Starcraft 1 was really daunting to try to get into and I quit.

But most games have amazing communities. Other than multiplayer Total War's Modding community is amazing. The entire Starcraft 2 population for the most part is amazing as long as your balls are big enough that you don't rage quit from a little cheese.

i dont' play online FPS' waiting for Battlefield 3's PS3 reviews to come in and the game to be released to decide if I want to join in on the fragging or not.

My comptuer's too shit to play TF2 or Left 4 Dead : (

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Nomanslander said:
All I have to say is "barren's chat," and for anyone that's played WoW, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

Never has there been a chat room purposely made for trolling like this one. The amount of trolling that goes on there are legendary.
WHEIR IS ECHYAKEE?!

Here is a two-step guide to creating horrible online communities.

1. Have stat tracking, complete with leaderboards, and a very competitive atmosphere. If your Kill to Death ratio is available for everyone to see, and the game itself actively tracks it, and encourages you to increase your K:D, you become insecure about your skills as a gamer, and are easily agitated over defeats.

2. Have a team-oriented game. Now that you only care about your personal "skill" and K:D ratio, time to introduce you to the fucking asshole n00b cuntface retards that will ruin it for you. Because you cannot possibly be at fault for the humiliating defeat, and the negative K:D that you came out of the match with, it must've been the other guys. As we all know, in a 4-man team game, One good player (you) won't make up for three shit ones.

And you're all set. Time to gear up, and start verbally abusing your teammates about how they ruin your stats. After you're done being an asshole to your team, you're off to be an asshole on the official forums. Afterall, that guy who just killed you must've been using a bug, an imbalanced character, or even hacks! After a hard day's work of being a dick, you'll feel better about yourself, not only for making others feel bad, but because you'll realize that you're actually getting pretty good at Heroes of Newerth.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
[quote="omega_peaches" post="9.268158.10265845I also like your logic, because I dislike something, and state it, I need to get skill, nice reasoning.[/quote]

you complained about noob tubers and campers. Campers in particular should not cause problems for anyone with the slightest bit of skill. so yes if campers are causing you grief enough that you dislike them, you need to get some skill.

I camp and have been camped. When i camp i can survive heaps of people trying to kill me. When someone camps me in the exact same way i camped them, i kill them in easy. thats why i dont understand why my camping works so well. and the only conclusion i can come too is either luck or skill. and luck should be pretty even between all players so the only thing left is skill.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
Most game communities I can live with. However the Left4dead 1 and 2 community is filled with some of the worst people ever to play with for basically every reason you can probably think of.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
I'm going to second the cries of DotA. Freaking DotA. Great game for a lan party with some buddies, but never, ever play it online. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to kill myself or everyone else in the match more by the time I got done with my first game.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
No game so far.

Then again, I stayed clear of CoD's and Halo's and Valve's. Call me not a gamer, at least I lead my life untainted. Gears of War 2 is actually pretty 'polite' and the community is bitchin' in the positive manner.
i always found the gears community to be quite harsh. maybe its just me.

OT: I would have to say L4D2 but i still love that game so i get over it. and bf:bc2 is quite terrible as well.

DSD12

Feb 12, 2011
Metal Gear Online everyone so high leveled and acted like elitists that i quit it was a decent game though

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
WoW's community has gone to hell, not that it was ever that decent.

As someone mentioned before, the whole "cosmetic" thing in TF2 has gone way too far.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Plazmatic said:
Radeonx said:
I'd say Halo, but it isn't as bad as Call of Duty.
I've encountered many more 8 year old kids who scream "fag" at me in Call of Duty.

I'd also like to nominate many of the hardcore Valve fanboys.
sorry your point holds no water. you state in no way how valve fan boys ruined their games, and I assume were talking about multiplayer, other wise your just pulling stuff out of your ass because you feel like it.
The ones that I have such distaste for treat every game associated with Valve as the second coming. When the games they worship so much get criticism, the critic is clearly just an immature 14 year old with no sense of artistic value. I mean, he disagrees with them, so he's clearly an imbecile. They are also incredibly obnoxious and snobby towards non Valve games.
Granted, this isn't everyone, but attitudes like these still are incredibly annoying.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Wow because my raiding guild, while really good (Downed litchking heroic), were complete assholes. I would somehow get insulted about how I was playing, from someone who was playing a class who had recently gotten a buff, while I was playing a class generally seen a complete shit, he had better gear, and more experience then me, yet I was pulling more dps then him by miles and he's trying to tell me how to play and telling me I suck?

The only thing I miss is talking to some buddies I had on there...

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Techno Squidgy said:
Most communities have a very loud very obnoxious minority. This small portion ruins the image of the rest of the community. Every now and then I run into nice people on MW2, but more often then not I see a lot of "Fag, noob, hax, etc.". It's rather depressing.
I try and do my little bit to educate these people but it's not worth it. I start every game with "glhf", compliment people on sweet kills and end with a "gg". Every now and then I get pissed off and rage at these retards with their constant whining and bitching and generally disrespectful behaviour.
I run with a CoD clan at the moment, I'm sort of a regular, despite having other priorities lately. They're really nice guys and you don't find any of this "1337" rubbish, it's a shame the whole community isn't like it.

Agreed. But, TBH, I don't really see much of a problem in the PC communities. On the vast majority of servers I've played on you see the good points all the time. Other players constantly complimenting each other on skillful maneuvers, jokingly egging each other (none of that childish crap you see elsewher), matches end with numerous plays stating good game, etc.

IDK, man . . . I took a break from MW for about 8 months, and just this last weekend decided to hop back on my usual haunt. It's a pretty bad-ass feeling that after 8 months you can jump into a 42 player match, recognize 1/3 of the players, and have them welcome you back as well. Your skills might get a little rusty after such a hiatus, but the comraderie doesn't.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Portal, Jesus fucking Christ.

I love the game with all my heart, but just hearing everyone going on about the cake and singing the ending song, just about turns me off from the game completely.

I don't even get why people keep quoting "The cake is a lie!"

I don't even think they were making any sort of joke with that one off line. It was written by a man whose sanity was degrading and was just showing his braking point.

I don't even know why people thought it was funny.

I just fucking hope that the jokes/set pieces that come with Portal 2 don't get fucking quoted to death. I actually want to enjoy the game without anyone saying "You monster!" over and over again.

Christ.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Depends.

By "community", do you mean the multiplayer constituency or the fanbase?

If the former, then basically every multiplayer FPS ever. Especially if you're playing on XBL. PC games like L4D can be something of a crap shoot as well. If you get people willing to cooperate and work together then it's an absolute blast, even if they aren't very good. Otherwise its just bloody horrible.

As for fanbases... well, they've never bothered me. It's not hard to ignore them. However, I know a lot of people get put off by the more zealous Valve and Bioware fans. Can't say I blame them either, despite loving both those studios.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
Plurralbles said:
Konatacalypse said:
Halo.

My dear God Halo.
You stopped lurking jsut for that?

Welcome!

Anyway, meh, I guess some communities ruin the experience for me. Rome Total War has some massive tools on there. Starcraft 1 was really daunting to try to get into and I quit.

But most games have amazing communities. Other than multiplayer Total War's Modding community is amazing. The entire Starcraft 2 population for the most part is amazing as long as your balls are big enough that you don't rage quit from a little cheese.

i dont' play online FPS' waiting for Battlefield 3's PS3 reviews to come in and the game to be released to decide if I want to join in on the fragging or not.

My comptuer's too shit to play TF2 or Left 4 Dead : (
Well that first bit made me lol.

I really do think Halo's (Namely 2 and 3's) multiplayer was severely hampered because of the community, although it did get better after MW2 was released it was still the thing that made me hate the halo franchise for a long while.

Also wile I'm thinking about it, the only real reason I quit WoW was because the RP community was full of vampires, cat girls, and griefers.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Sonic. The. Hedgehog.

*shudder* UuuUUugh, that fanbase.

Also to a lesser extent, FF7. But seriously nothing, -NOTHING- is as bad as the Sonic fanbase.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
CD-R said:
Drummie666 said:
Bad Company 2.

For fucks sake people. Stop fucking camping when you're the attacking team!
I've been playing Bad Company 2 since it came out. What are these campers you speak of?
i think he means the idiots that think they can snipe cant and only about 3 people are actively trying to win the objectives

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Star wars Galaxies: The Fanbase (And poor PR) basically ruined this game.

The Sonic Fanbase: DEAR GOD, 98% of this lot of schizophrenic psycho's destroy everything they set eyes on and completely ruined the series for me (Aside from the creators ofcourse)...now if you'll excuse me, i have to go hide before The sonic fans kill me *flees*