Company

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
ElPatron said:
Kermi said:
I love how since 2007 people have been ripping on 360 gamers for their inferior gaming experience, but at the 11th hour a bunch of people are (threatening/claiming they are) boycotting ME3 because of Origin.

Man I'm lucky I stuck with my shitty console version and don't have to worry about Origin or being blocked from playing because of faulty DRM or any shit like that.

Enjoy your not playing, Origin boycotters.
Their choice.

One way of looking at this: I loathe Bioware games altogether (no, not even Neverwinter Nights - come at me, Biodrones) so trough my point of view, you're actually the one making a mistake. Ahah, enjoy your subpar game full of clichés.

So, what you said is, like, your opinion, man. If they refuse to play the game, or prefer to enjoy their gaming session trough the power of uTorrent, it's their choice. Many will probably visit a private sales website and buy it used, or just shamelessly pirate it.

Another way to look at this: If I don't want my PC games to have Origin or DRM, why should I give money to them by buying a console version anyway?

Either way, nobody is wrong, nor right. It's a matter of opinions, and I sure did not like the sound of your "holier-than-thou" attitude.

I might not like Bioware games, but at least I respect their choice. They like Bioware games, but don't want the "compromise" that DRM is.

Disclaimer: I own an xbox 360 and a PSP and I have nothing against consoles apart from the fact that we get shitty ports and even today's "core games" like CoD and Gears of War are pretty causal
Way to make a completely irrelevant post. I was referring to people who enjoyed ME1 and 2 but are opting to boycott ME3 for some bullshit unrelated to the game. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy a game series I happen to enjoy.

You're free to not like the games and I never said otherwise.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Gods, I wanted to just hug Erin with how miserable she looked in the last panel. :<

As for PC vs Console.. I spent many years as a console gamer and I still prefer it for a lot of reasons. However, I do not like doing multiplayer on consoles because of split-screen hurting my eyes (and the resolution hasn't helped). Unfortunately, my computer isn't the most up-to-date piece of hardware there is and I wouldn't even be able to conceive of running ME3, Skyrim, or even Portal 2. In those situations I often have to either give it us (as with Skyrim), or play it on my Xbox (as with Portal 2).

Also, as has been said a few times, I refuse to pay extra money to play console games with other people. I also hate having to pay 3 times more for a game on XBL than I do on Steam, but if it won't run on my computer.. I'm at an impasse.

EDIT: Someone said "what about when you hunch over while playing an FPS as the action gets heavy?" And I thought, why the hell DO people do that? The only thing I can think of is that as it gets more intense they have to lean in closer to get a better look at the screen since everything is often so many shades of grey and brown or dimly lit corridors. With a PC, the screen is naturally much closer.

In my case, I lean in while playing console games these days anyway cause my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be (damage by Diabetes Type 2), and as said, a lot of these modern games have graphics where it's hard to make out anything. I can hardly see the enemies in stuff like Gears of War half the time.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
PC vs Console?

Really? That's still a debate?

There is -nothing- absolutely nothing a console can do that a PC cannot.

Installing games?

That'll take you at most 3-4 minutes these days with up to date hardware. (Which is nothing compared to the length of time it takes to install games on the consoles, I might add.)

There's a big difference between "I can't figure out how to do that" and "It can't do that".

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Kermi said:
Way to make a completely irrelevant post. I was referring to people who enjoyed ME1 and 2 but are opting to boycott ME3 for some bullshit unrelated to the game. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy a game series I happen to enjoy.

It was not irrelevant. I'll explain it again.

You can to love a game to death and still not "buy" it (ie: by not buying new or just pirating it).

Now seriously, what is wrong with me loving, say, Ninjustu but not be willing to pay for overpriced classes because there are no cheaper dojos around? I might like it a lot. And still refuse to go. Therefore I won't reach that belt I wanted and my progress will end halfway.

People feel good about sticking to their principles. I guess that the majority of the players who are really going to boycott it actually feel good about it. And probably it feels better than actually playing the game. I don't know, I could not name any game that made me feel better than "real life accomplishment" (although a few are pretty close). That would be just wrong.

So they probably will feel more satisfaction than you. Specially those who pirate/buy a used copy. They will feel good twice.

The Lunatic said:
There's a big difference between "I can't figure out how to do that" and "It can't do that".
Just confront someone saying that.

They will usually admit they are just too stupid to figure out how to google or just call you a "nerd".

Hilarity ensures.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I would love to be a pc gamer only...absolutely love it...but i make 10 dollars a week currently....i cant ever get a gaming pc at that rate...once i get a job i could..but i dont want to throw my first 5 paychecks away to upgrade my gaming computer... on the other hand i already have a ps3...so all i need to do is buy the game i want to play...
The Lunatic said:
PC vs Console?

Installing games?

That'll take you at most 3-4 minutes these days with up to date hardware. (Which is nothing compared to the length of time it takes to install games on the consoles, I might add.)

looking at my post the only thing a pc cant do is cost under 300 dollars and run brand new games great. but thats a moot point since most people have jobs that can afford it.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
The Lunatic said:
PC vs Console?

Installing games?

how about 7gen J-RPGs haven't seen many on PC :D it's pretty big factor for some people, like me. So yeah PC cannot do j-rpgs that's why i'm not PC player, consoles have pretty much all AAA games PC have AND have j-RPGs + console exclusive games (halo,uncharted,gears and many others) .
For PS2 emulation you have to have console bios so you have to own console OR be a pirate.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
him over there said:
how about 7gen J-RPGs haven't seen many on PC :D it's pretty big factor for some people, like me. So yeah PC cannot do j-rpgs that's why i'm not PC player, consoles have pretty much all AAA games PC have AND have j-RPGs + console exclusive games (halo,uncharted,gears and many others) .
For PS2 emulation you have to have console bios so you have to own console OR be a pirate.
Sadly, PCs can't stop publishers being assholes.

The Japanese market doesn't really see the PC as a market for RPGs, It's a shame really.

Anthony Wells said:
looking at my post the only thing a pc cant do is cost under 300 dollars and run brand new games great. but thats a moot point since most people have jobs that can afford it.
Intel's "i series" have onboard graphics chips that can run any present game in at-least the lowest settings.

I've ran Skyrim on Medium with one, all you'd need for that would be RAM, Motherboard, CPU and Power, likely, not much over $300.

him over there said:
How about total user friendlyness towards the layman.
Not by itself, but, google has pretty much everything you'd ever need.

All it takes is a moment of effort.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
The Lunatic said:
him over there said:
Sadly, PCs can't stop publishers being assholes.

The Japanese market doesn't really see the PC as a market for RPGs, It's a shame really.

Anthony Wells said:
Intel's "i series" have onboard graphics chips that can run any present game in at-least the lowest settings.

I've ran Skyrim on Medium with one, all you'd need for that would be RAM, Motherboard, CPU and Power, likely, not much over $300.

him over there said:

i cant stand looking at games on the lowest setting....i dont mind looking at older games with their bad graphics...yet newer games i cant stand on lowest.... as i said though its a moot point for most people and one i have a job it will be for me too.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
The Lunatic said:
him over there said:

Effort and time that people aren't willing to put forth.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Anthony Wells said:
i cant stand looking at games on the lowest setting....i dont mind looking at older games with their bad graphics...yet newer games i cant stand on lowest.... as i said though its a moot point for most people and one i have a job it will be for me too.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm rather the same, you feel like you're missing out on something.

Skyrim wasn't too bad, actually, it was better when I got my Graphics Card repaired, but, I was glad that the processor alone could run it at this stage.

Ultimately though, it's a budget option for a gamer, I'd honestly say it'd be a good idea as it would allow upgrading while still being some of the latest parts and completely usable in their own right.

him over there said:
Well, if you don't want to put time and effort into your passion, perhaps it's just not for you.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Lunatic said:
Anthony Wells said:
Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm rather the same, you feel like you're missing out on something.

Skyrim wasn't too bad, actually, it was better when I got my Graphics Card repaired, but, I was glad that the processor alone could run it at this stage.

Ultimately though, it's a budget option for a gamer, I'd honestly say it'd be a good idea as it would allow upgrading while still being some of the latest parts and completely usable in their own right.

him over there said:
Well, if you don't want to put time and effort into your passion, perhaps it's just not for you.
Oh yes, however will we keep the casuals out without arbitrary stumbling blocks and barriers to entry?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Oh yes, however will we keep the casuals out without arbitrary stumbling blocks and barriers to entry?
I honestly think casual gamers are a good thing. I don't think altering games significantly to appeal to a more "Casual audience" is a good thing, but, the diversity that casual gaming brings is far away one of the better things to happen to the industry.

I can safely say the games aren't for me, but, I can appreciate the idea of something just being fun and accessibly to all. And PC gaming is definitely not perfect for this, nor are consoles, really. They're more suitable due to being a simple turn-it-on-and-go.

However, if you're going to make the effort to come to a forum and read news about games, post in topics and discuss your opinions on these kinds of things, I don't see why anyone would have issue with using the same effort to partake in another, closely related form of entertainment.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Console gamers prefer consoles for comfort? I tried consoles, everything from the current gen has way too long loading times. Some games can be installed to the console's hard drive but then you have to *gasp* wait a few minutes before playing.
If it's a big AAA title I just let Steam download it during the night. No cd-keys, no DRM other than having to be online for the first run, and I can plug it to a big screen TV and play with an X-Box 360 controller if I so choose.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
speaking of shiny trays... I went to the apple store last night and heard a lady ecstatically stating "she was on the cloud". this is why apple does so well. And it hurts me.

Then again I bought stock in Apple a few years back. So the money I've made off the plebeians helps to dull the pain, if only slightly.

The ignorance and apathetic population feels it is too busy to bother with superiority and instead goes for ease of use. Which is really too bad because the mac really is a good computer. It's just expensive as hell. Plus they are pushing the technology which will eventually lead to data pads from any generic sci-fi brand.

I didn't grow up with computers so I never gained entry into the PC gaming master race. :(

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
ElPatron said:
Kermi said:

It was not irrelevant. I'll explain it again.

You can to love a game to death and still not "buy" it (ie: by not buying new or just pirating it).

Now seriously, what is wrong with me loving, say, Ninjustu but not be willing to pay for overpriced classes because there are no cheaper dojos around? I might like it a lot. And still refuse to go. Therefore I won't reach that belt I wanted and my progress will end halfway.

People feel good about sticking to their principles. I guess that the majority of the players who are really going to boycott it actually feel good about it. And probably it feels better than actually playing the game. I don't know, I could not name any game that made me feel better than "real life accomplishment" (although a few are pretty close). That would be just wrong.

So they probably will feel more satisfaction than you. Specially those who pirate/buy a used copy. They will feel good twice.
Even though you are now saying something completely different than you were before, your point is still not relevant to mine. To use your example, let's say you practice ninjitsu, I practice karate.

For years, you laugh at me because Karate is an inferior art and I am wasting my time studying it, and you go on the internet and say "today I was in my ninjitsu class practicing climbing walls and throwing shuriken and shit, while this other guy I know spent an hour practising katas. What an idiot. Ninjitsu is so awesome."

Then one day you go to Ninjitsu class and your sensei wants to keep track of his attendence numbers so he asks you to sign in when you start class. And you're so incensed that you go up to your sensei, throw your gi on the ground at his feet and say "ninjitsu is bullshit" before storming out and never studying any martial art ever again.

You come up to me and say "you should quit karate" and I ask you why, and you say you quit ninjitsu. Naturally, I am perplexed as to how this is at all relevant to me. I'm supposed to take part in your indignancy and sympathise with you, when you have never had anything but contempt for me.

That is MY position, and before you try and say that my example does not correctly correspond with your position, consider whether or not it was ever meant to in the first place, before trying to make an argument for me that I never intended.

For some reason you've decided to take my post, which was not at all related to or directed at you or your personal behaviour, and take it as an attack which needs to be defended against. You seem to think I am making a generalisation about PC gamers in general, or boycotters in general, which is not the case.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
jack that PC into your 1080p TV bud, the HDMI port works fine. I liked the experience so much that I just moved to using the TV as my main monitor, and I now use my TV stand to hold all the stuff that I used to have a computer desk for. Life is so much better now that I'm free of the computer desk :)

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Honestly, if I wanna play a PS2 game, I'll play my friggin PS2. I don't know why people insist on selling their old consoles just to go and rebuy all the crap they had again on the fancy new console for more money.

And if my PS1 breaks down, I'll start emulating it. I sure as shit ain't gonna buy a PS3 cause I wanna play FF8, Soul Reaver or Mega Man Legends.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate how numerous 360 games have shitty text cause I don't have an expensive HDTV. If I could figure out what I need to use my moniter with it (without tearing apart my Xbox), I'd be happy. Unfortunately, I get the impression it'll be a costly cable or something.