Company

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
What's with so many people thinking that if you play on PC, it must be with a keyboard and mouse on a desk with you sitting 2'-3' away from the screen? It's not hard to play a PC like a console and vice-versa.

Is there some horrible social fear people have with using things differently? Like avoiding bringing your laptop to a coffee shop in order to not be labeled a hipster? It's a laptop, take it and use it anywhere you want like it was meant to be used. It's a PC, just a box of potential that you can put anywhere and hook up whatever you want to it. Whether that be at a desk with a monitor, keyboard and mouse, or in a living room with a wireless controller, HDMI TV, and surround sound.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Sometimes I wonder if, by making Multiplayer more available to consoles and hand-helds, the Industry-developers aren't secretly taking their revenge for all those LAN Parties they didn't get invited to.

Jan 23, 2009
I know this thread is long over - but I just wanted to say that I played me3 on my couch with my laptop hooked up with a HDMI cable to my TV, using an xbox360 controller.

Best of both worlds.

taltamir

Mar 16, 2005
It may be inferior hardware, but it is much more fun to play on my 103" mega-fallus television.
The PC is equally easy to plug in to your TV or projector.
A few years back I hooked mine up to a 720p projector on a 150 inch clear wall with 7.1 surrounded (mounted on walls in strategic locations). Used it for entertainment center as well as video games.

2:sitting on a comfortable couch with your controller in your hand's.(better comfort)
Controllers are horrible unergonomic things that hurt your hands... but if you must, it costs 15$ to get a USB to wireless xbox360 controller adapter. (or PS3 controller if you swing that way.) I own one to use on console ports games where the developers did such a horrible job of porting keyboard and mouse support that I am forced to resort to a controller.

Put the disk in and it works
Don't you mean "put the disk in and wait one hour for the mandatory install, then another hour for the mandatory patch, then it sorta works but still buggy since QA went the way of the dodo the moment online patching was introduced"?
Because with the PS2 and earlier this was a good point for consoles... But really not with the current gen.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Wow, I did not expect to get a quote from this old thread. As such, I'll actually respond to it.
taltamir said:
It may be inferior hardware, but it is much more fun to play on my 103" mega-fallus television.
The PC is equally easy to plug in to your TV or projector.
A few years back I hooked mine up to a 720p projector on a 150 inch clear wall with 7.1 surrounded (mounted on walls in strategic locations). Used it for entertainment center as well as video games.
This was a joke aimed mainly at Futurama fans (see "into the wild green yonder"). My secondary monitor for the past four years is actually a television and I spent time as an A/V guy for years doing this kind of stuff. The catch is that actually setting up a PC to run on a large television is more a problem of cables (especially if you use a corded keyboard and mouse) and maintaining a reasonable distance from the screen to keep the field of vision reasonable. The larger the screen, the farther back you have to be situated.

On a side note, I'm not a huge fan of projectors. Between their expense (yes, they're cheaper now, but it's still not worth it), the pain of proper installation, complex sound systems you have to buy additionally to have any good audio, and lighting concerns (a dark room is pretty much completely required and that still doesn't guarantee a good picture), it's easier to just use a television.
taltamir said:
2:sitting on a comfortable couch with your controller in your hand's.(better comfort)
Controllers are horrible unergonomic things that hurt your hands... but if you must, it costs 15$ to get a USB to wireless xbox360 controller adapter. (or PS3 controller if you swing that way.) I own one to use on console ports games where the developers did such a horrible job of porting keyboard and mouse support that I am forced to resort to a controller.
Compared to a keyboard? Controllers are better to hold and a tad more intuitive. Plus, you don't need a surface to set a keyboard and mouse on in order to play and carpal tunnel is a tad harder to get via a controller.

taltamir said:
Put the disk in and it works
Don't you mean "put the disk in and wait one hour for the mandatory install, then another hour for the mandatory patch, then it sorta works but still buggy since QA went the way of the dodo the moment online patching was introduced"?
Because with the PS2 and earlier this was a good point for consoles... But really not with the current gen.
Only the PS3 has bad loading times. Both the 360 and Wii load faster than my up-to-date PC tower (which is mainly used for MMOs, strategy games, and work) and do not require installation onto the console unless you want it to. Besides, the amount of bugs I've had when I was mainly a PC gamer far outweighs the number of bugs I've had on the consoles, Fallout New Vegas included.

Plus, auto-patching is quite nice for those of us that are a tad too lazy to pull up the install-wizard on the PC.