Company

Sean Deli

May 11, 2011
Yes, the loneliness of a PC gamer... The days I wept when thinking about.

Only when you think about PC gamers spending weeks with literally hundreds of their comrades in player-made alliance on a mega-server supporting over 60 000 player simultaneously in a joint world of Eve Online, or of millions of players of World of Warcraft, or about millions of people playing Lineage 2 (among other things), not to mention World of Tanks, DOTa, etc, etc. -
only than can you truly appreciate the superiority of consoles in application to the multiplayer.

Leave me now, as I go and weep for the PC multiplayer, may it rest in peace (and tonnes of money Blizzard and CCP are making)...

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Guh, moving into this gen of consoles was a trial. My laptop was always used for anything the PS2 couldn't do (mainly RTSs) and the current gen games were bought for the laptop. The laptop then started to show it's age. It can barely run Fallout 3 on minimum settings, so I was posed with a difficult choice; spend over a grand on a proper desktop rig, or spend £200-300 on a 360 with games and controllers. It took me until about 2 years ago to make my mind up, but price outshon quality in my peniless student mind :(

Jbowdown

Feb 19, 2011
Dhatz said:
talk about framerates, I guarantee in 5 years 120hz will be standard.
Are you trying to say the the entire electrical grid of the United States will switch from 60Hz to 120Hz? Frame-rate and refresh rate are completely different things. Refresh rates for broadcasting to analog TV's were set to the Hz rate of the electrical grid of the corresponding countries. The only reason you see the current generation of TVs advertised with 120Hz, 180Hz, or 240Hz is that companies want to sell the uneducated public cheap TVs at a premium, because obviously these TVs are 'better' because these numbers are higher. The other reason why the numbers incrementally increase by 60Hz is that the TV just takes the 60Hz signal coming from broadcast or your entertainment device and scans it 2 to 4 times per frame vs the standard 1. The extra processing these TVs are providing do not add anything to the original signal and in some cases will just make it look worse. A new cheap consumer-grade TV running at 240Hz still won't look as good or as crisp as a professional-grade TV running at 60Hz built over 5 years ago. Also currently HDMI only has the bandwidth to to 1080p at 60Hz (30 frames), in order to get 120Hz out of HDMI you would have to double the bandwidth the cable and the interfaces can handle. The only thing that can currently handle 1080p at 120Hz is Dual-Link DVI, which I'm guessing your TV doesn't have!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DeadCoyote said:
That's what i hate about consoles - they bring disparity. I hope one day PC gods will destroy all consoles, so people could live happily and united.
Can't tell if quoting Sephiroth or Hitler... proberly both... still funny.

Consoles also have the added benefit of being semi-portable. Your mum comes home with her mates just take it up stairs, you tried dragging a computer up a flight of stairs... unless you simply cast off the shackles of the primative human race and get an Alienware laptop. My brother got one to play WoW on, the levels of envy I feel around it turns the room a sickly green.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
If I could go to the store and pick up a box that certifiably contained a PC that would run all the games I wanted it to run, I would buy it in a heartbeat. As it stands I can't be bothered to spend eight hundred dollars for an amateur computer assembly project that may or may not run what I want for a finite window of game releases.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Doom972 said:
Console gamers prefer consoles for comfort? I tried consoles, everything from the current gen has way too long loading times. Some games can be installed to the console's hard drive but then you have to *gasp* wait a few minutes before playing.
If it's a big AAA title I just let Steam download it during the night. No cd-keys, no DRM other than having to be online for the first run, and I can plug it to a big screen TV and play with an X-Box 360 controller if I so choose.
You missed the point. The biggest hurdle is having a PC that can run current-gen games at all. If you want to sufficiently outdo console performance to make it worth your while, you practically need a degree in computer engineering. Load times are nothing compared to getting a popup that tells you your graphics card isn't good enough.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
mechanixis said:
Doom972 said:
Console gamers prefer consoles for comfort? I tried consoles, everything from the current gen has way too long loading times. Some games can be installed to the console's hard drive but then you have to *gasp* wait a few minutes before playing.
If it's a big AAA title I just let Steam download it during the night. No cd-keys, no DRM other than having to be online for the first run, and I can plug it to a big screen TV and play with an X-Box 360 controller if I so choose.
You missed the point. The biggest hurdle is having a PC that can run current-gen games at all. If you want to sufficiently outdo console performance to make it worth your while, you practically need a degree in computer engineering. Load times are nothing compared to getting a popup that tells you your graphics card isn't good enough.
A hope you realize how much of an exaggeration that is. You have countless of guides (one page, so no tl;dr) available on how to pick a gaming computer. It's not rocket (or computer) science.
I know that for some people having to invest a few minutes to learn something new is considered a waste of time, but I don't know how such gamers can play games that don't have hand-holding tutorials.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Too true, but I don't feel bad about neglecting the PC market. If I had taken the initial 430 dollars I spent to get my Elite 360 with two games almost three years ago, and instead spent it to upgrade my PC, I would never have had the amazing gaming experience I've had since then.

The reason I got my 360 was because all my friends ended up getting one each, a year before I did, and I didn't want to be left out. Because really, that first and only year of being the only one not with an 360 was rather hellish, because at all the game nights they had, I was the guy that was dropped onto the friend that had the biggest TV, so that split screening would be better.

I grew up with both consoles and a gaming PC, but when I became an adult that's parents aren't going to give money to anymore for keeping up with both gaming platforms, I had to make a decision, and consoles really are more convenient.

If I had used the money to upgrade my PC then, I would most likely be gaming away by myself in my room, and I would have grown apart from my friends because gaming is really the linchpin between us, because it is what we talk about most, and it just isn't fun to randomly talk about games that we know the other isn't playing and sharing in the experience.

Astiahl said:
Funny thing is, even when I play something in my living room I end up standing in front of the TV anyway, being relaxed back in my couch makes my reaction time quite shite so I can't play properly...making my PC actually more comfortable. :p
Do you mean standing as in actual standing, or just sitting up in a chair or couch?

I, in my 22 years since I was introduced to gaming, have never seen a person that is an actual gamer, stand up in front of a television because it some how helped with response times, or anything for that matter.

The only person I've seen that voluntarily got up from sitting while playing a console game, was my grandma back in the day of the NES. She would occasionally have a go at the first Mario Bros.(Really the first and only video game she ever played).

When she played, at the times she had to jump over the holes in the levels, she would actually jump up out of her chair as if her moving would some how make Mario's jump better and make it across the hole(her, unknowingly predicting the future of gaming two decades later).

I've known many gamers over the years, console gamers and diehard PC gamers that changed to exclusively console because they just couldn't keep up with the PC upgrades because they didn't have the money. Out of all of them, none of them ever stood in front of the television while playing.

At least not with straight controller games. They of course stand when we play Wii bowling and such, because that is what the game was designed for, same goes for the music/guitar games.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hiroshi Mishima said:
Honestly, if I wanna play a PS2 game, I'll play my friggin PS2. I don't know why people insist on selling their old consoles just to go and rebuy all the crap they had again on the fancy new console for more money.

And if my PS1 breaks down, I'll start emulating it. I sure as shit ain't gonna buy a PS3 cause I wanna play FF8, Soul Reaver or Mega Man Legends.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate how numerous 360 games have shitty text cause I don't have an expensive HDTV. If I could figure out what I need to use my moniter with it (without tearing apart my Xbox), I'd be happy. Unfortunately, I get the impression it'll be a costly cable or something.
Do some research before taking my word on it, but I think if your monitor has a DVI input (which it should if it's at all modern), all you need is an HDMI cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter, which should only cost a few dollars (unless you don't currently have the cable, in which case you need to buy one -- you can get those for just a couple bucks online). HDMI and DVI are compatible in the same way SD and MMC cards are; DVI can handle the same video signal, but you'll need to run something else for audio, and you can't use it for Bluray because it doesn't support the DRM. Aside from that, though, it's a simple mechanical difference, which is why the adapters don't cost much.

keiskay

Nov 18, 2011
trollpwner said:
Doom972 said:
A hope you realize how much of an exaggeration that is. You have countless of guides (one page, so no tl;dr) available on how to pick a gaming computer. It's not rocket (or computer) science.
I know that for some people having to invest a few minutes to learn something new is considered a waste of time, but I don't know how such gamers can play games that don't have hand-holding tutorials.
No it really isn't. I'm planning on building my own P.C. for the first time and it's going to take weeks of going through articles, watching videos and practicing on old computers before I can get close to doing it for real.
i built my first PC this year, it wasn't hard at all and it worked right away, the only thing that took forever was getting the wiring to not be clusterfucked everywhere. other then that it was a simple, screw this in here, snap these pieces in here and there, put this cable here, and done. took about 2 hours.

the second pc i built was for a friend and it was ***** but thats cause it was a server pc.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
trollpwner said:
Doom972 said:
No it really isn't. I'm planning on building my own P.C. for the first time and it's going to take weeks of going through articles, watching videos and practicing on old computers before I can get close to doing it for real.
Dude, it's like Lego. With fewer pieces. And less steps. It takes about half an hour to learn how to build a PC.

I've built a bunch of computers before, and it's pretty darn simple. If you're practicing on old computers you might think it's really hard, because old computers were a lot harder to build as they weren't as simplified as new ones. I cut my teeth on Pentium II systems, and those things are a nightmare compared to modern computers.

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
trollpwner said:
If you're spending weeks researching, you're probably overdoing it. Building a PC isn't hard as long as you already know and understand the basics of computer hardware and software. I only spent a few days choosing components for my first PC, and most of that time was trying to figure out how to get everything to fit within a certain budget.

I've never really gotten into the whole console vs. PC argument. I'm a PC gamer myself but I don't care enough about the issue to argue with anyone about it. But one of the main reasons why I tend to stay away from consoles is that I don't like all of my gaming (or worse, all of my entertainment/media) being controlled by a single company. You might argue that there are a small set of companies that control most of the gaming world on PCs as well, but there's a big difference between "a small set" and "one". PC gaming is about choice and flexibility, it's about having control over your media, your data, your information. I tend to be less trusting of any system that isn't open enough to allow the average person to easily write and compile code on it, and then share that code with others.

Plus, most people already have a PC in the home. Might as well play games on it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
trollpwner said:
Doom972 said:
That's great, but I wasn't talking about actually building one.
I was talking about picking parts and get a computer built for you or picking an already built computer with the right parts. That's what I was talking about when I said it's not complicated.