Compare and Contrast the last two games you've played.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Wow. For once, the two are strikingly similar. Both are turn-based strategy with characters that level up, get equipped by the player, and are commanded on the field.
Fire Emblem as a rule of thumb focuses more of story and characterization whereas XCOM focuses on gameplay and survival. Despite this, I feel a lot more attached to my XCOM squad than Marth's crew, mainly because Shadow Dragon is a remake of the first Fire Emblem where everyone has a cardboard cutout personality [http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=030909].

I was mostly playing it 4 TEH LAFFS anyway, killing off 70% of the characters for a bare-bones "you must be at least this cool to join my team" run while my brother was on the Xbox killing zombies in Black Ops II.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Guild Wars 2 and Pokemon Black 2.

The only thing they got in common is they both got a goal to achive (Guild Wars 2 is to defeat the elder dragon Zhaitan and in Pokemon Black 2 is to become the Pokemon Champion), you travel from places to places and I guess certain managements to it (Guild Wars 2 you have to manage your loots and weapons etc while in Pokemon Black 2 is picking and stengthen your team).
Other than that they are competely different to each other.
They are both RPGs, they both have a level system, both have you choose a set number of skills, both let you battle other players. Plenty of similarities there, both also got the number 2 in the name.

OT: Battle for Wesnoth and Assassin's Creed. Both can be solved by either brute force or careful planning, the setting is a little similar I guess., both have people with swords, bows and knives, both have assassins and both are fun.

As for the differences one is an action game the other one is a strategy game, one is a low budget free game with Linux compatibility while the other one is a high budget game exclusive to Windows and consoles.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Borderlands and Black Ops 2. God I wish I didn't have to say that. Why couldn't I have been playing Skyrim, Okami, Guild Wars 2 or Dark Souls? Why? Oh well.
Differences? One's a good game with varied enemies, weapons, environments, tactics and characters and is, in fact, fun more often than it is not? Whilst I do have a lot of fun with BlOps2, the level of bullshit which you just -don't- get with other games is astounding. It is however a step in the right direction. Which is something, I suppose?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Alan Wake and Bioshock

Both had pretty water. And you spend the majority of the time punching crazed maniacs...in the face...with bullets

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Don't Starve (a survival/ action RPG thing) and Star Wars: TOR

they have nothing in common, I suppose, else you tell me

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Oblivion and... Skyrim.

I wonder what these games have in common! >.>

But seriously, Skyrim is pretty much a much better looking Oblivion with worse quests and a more interesting setting/atmosphere.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Fallout New Vegas and Rome:Total War both have Romans in them, albeit pseudo-modern in the former.

Lets make a comparison, though:
Fallout: New Vegas is a first person/third person role playing game, where you play a single character and control their actions throughout several factions, ranging from Old American Democracy, Romans, Prisoners, and Las Vegas itself. You have a wide array of diplomatic options through several skills, but you can always kill people with a wide array of melee and ranged weaponry.
The Romans are rather cruel assholes who are racist slavers who have a wide trade empire.

Rome: Total War is a grand scale strategy game, where you play a large Roman Family (BRUTII!) and you control their armies against several different factions, ranging from the Greeks, Carthaginians, Gauls, and Armenians. You have a limited level of diplomatic options (Which rarely work to your liking), you can, more often than not, just storm their cities with loads of cohorts until they die, with a main emphasis on heavy infantry.
I have been a rather cruel asshole (I'd rather not have another 1,000 man revolt army), though I try not to use slavery (Why don't they just have a mild looting?), but, due to the movie Spartacus, I use horse races instead of gladiators for entertainment.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo 4 and Dragon Age: Origins

One is a sequel to a very popular shooter franchise on the 360.

The other is a fairly tactical, squad based, fantasy RPG.

I suppose in terms of similarities both have the larger "elite" enemies whos tactics end up boiling down to "Just stab it/ shoot it more than the normal guys", and that while both games offer a fairly linear story you can take different paths to complete your goal.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Minecraft.

One's a multiplayer only FFA or team based medieval clusterfuck battle with gory decapitations and limbs flying off everywhere, and objectives such as "Dump the wagon of corpses into the well" and "Kill the filthy peasants".

The other is a bright, colourful game set in a huge block based world and focused on building, where the gore is limited to "Hit zombie with pixelated sword, it gets pushed back and flashes red to indicate damage."

Fairly different.

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Lone Survivor. One pretends to be a survival horror game (but still is kinda fun) and the other one is AN ACTUAL survival horror game. If you like survival horror and haven't played Lone Survivor, you don't know what you're missing.

epidemia

Nov 24, 2012
Borderlands 2 and Xcom Enemy unknown.

Both are sequels and both stay true to the originals while only Xcom tries to innovate the formula whereas Borderlands 2 is just more of the same that came out just a few years ago. Borderlands 2 is loud and obnoxious, the supporting characters never ever shut up and arent nearly as funny as they seem to think they are. Xcom on the other hand also has voice acting that gets annoying but only because you will hear the same lines repeatedly due to you losing and having to start over. Yes Dr Vahlen, I know blowing up aliens destroys the artifacts now stfu, be useful and take your shirt off or something. Borderlands is not difficult and only requires a massive investment of time and the patience of a saint to complete while Xcom requires practice, forethought and planning. One punishes you for playing alone while the other is meant to be played that way. If I had even known Xcom was coming out, I would have saved the money I wasted on Borderlands2. I ended up having to sell a bunch of my old games to purchase it.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
This is awkward on one side I have Guilty Gear X2 and on the other Fallout New Vegas. One is an amine styled fighting game while the other is a realistic looking rpg/fps. The heavy metal soundtrack of Guilty Gear contrasts with the 50's music in Fallout. Although both of the characters I play in the games are badasses who fight final bosses for practice and they are both on my top 5 games list. But mostly they have nothing in common.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Shadow Warrior and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Shadow Warrior is a quirky, politically incorrect FPS about a modern day ninja named Lo Wang (who speaks in the most ludicrous 'Engrish' dialect) who plans to assasinate the head of an evil megacorporation.
Amnesia is a horror game where you wake up with memory loss in a Prussian castle, pursued by horrible monstrosities, your only goal being A: Survival, and B: to kill a man named Alexander, as instructed in a letter from yourself.

Well, they're both in first person, and the main goal of each is to kill one guy, so I guess there's a little bit of similarity.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Torchlight II [http://www.torchlight2game.com/] and Super Crossfire [http://www.desura.com/games/super-crossfire]. Boy, will this be a fun challenge.

Both games have goals which are accomplished by one thing and one thing only; the deaths of your enemies. Without these occurring, there is no way to make substantial progress. Both games also reward performance customization points for defeating those enemies, those points of which can be used on multiple performance traits.

However, both games really are different beasts; Torchlight II is an ARPG Diablo-clone while Super Crossfire is a wave-based 2D shooter. The goals of each game are much different as well. In Torchlight II, the goal is to stop the big-bad for good. In Super Crossfire, the goal is more-or-less to get the biggest score.

janjotat

Jan 22, 2012
I literally can not think of any similarities between Portal and Spec Ops: The Line, well besides that they are both excellent games with excellent story lines.

omglazorspewpew

Nov 14, 2011
The last two games I played was Dynasty Warriors 7 and Dishonored.

Both games have swordplay but in one game you have to actually try and do cool things and the other you zone out and murder thousands and thousands of people without thinking

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I have played two really opposite games lately. The Walking Dead and Scribblenauts Unlimited.
I guess what they have in common is that both have gameplay that is not very common.

TWD is an adventure game that focus on decisions and consequences.
Scribblenauts Unlimited is a game that focus on creativity and imagination.

I love them both! Great games that everyone should try.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
Borderlands 2 and Pokemon Emerald. Quite a few differences. Only similarities I can think of is...I guess that when you level up you get new skills.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow - The 12th Fire Emblem game, a remake of the 3rd, it's a turn based strategy RPG where you create a character to fight alongside Marth and find the reason for the Princess Nyna's strange request to be her champion.

Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: Part 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga - A SNES-era JRPG throwback set in the year 2053, where B-Ball has been banned due to an chaotic incident that ushered in the apocalypse. Wracked with guilt and pursued by the Law and the evil terrorist organization B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S., Charles Barkley is one of B-Ball's last all-stars... and its last hope.

How they're similar:
-They're both turn-based.
-They're both more recent games trying to be SNES games.
-I downloaded both of them.
-In each you control a character whose story you follow, but who is less important overall than another character.
-They both have absurdly long titles.

Things FE12 has going for it:
-Multiple difficulties with satisfying challenge.
-Can control many characters.
-Good plot for a remake of a SNES game.
-Added support conversations and prologue make some of the characters more likable/interesting.
-The fan translation would be excellent for an official job.
-Crisp, modern graphics.
-Lots of enhancement from the original, feels like a newer game.
-You can create your own player character and choose his/her class, whose default name is Chris.

Things FE12 has against it:
-Bland combat animations.
-Some classes won't make it past Prologue I with pretty much any setup on Lunatic difficulty.
-Player character's dialogue is bland, pretty much the same in every play-through.

Things Barkley has going for it:
-Extremely original premise.
-Feels familiar to games you might be nostalgic for, but still stands out as something fresh.
-Clever battle system which makes each party member feel unique.
-Good production values for an RPGMaker game, most graphics aren't recognizable from the default look.
-Successfully ties itself to the movie Space Jam, and still makes you take it seriously.

Things Barkley has against it:
-What little voice work there is, sucks.
-A great RPGMaker game is still an RPGMaker game.

riottrio said:
Majora's Mask on the Gamecube "collectors edition". The game is prone to immense lag if it thinks there is too much going on (lag which I do not remember on the N64 version...) and will often pack up and freeze, making everything you've done redundant since you last played the song of time. Why do the Owl statues not make permanent saves Nintendo? I had to play through Stone Tower THREE TIMES (including getting stone mask, Gibdo mask, Mirror shield and Elegy of emptiness)! And you want me to play it through a fourth, because when I did it all without losing all my data, I made the decision of going to fight the final boss(es)... in which it also crashed.
I have had literally none of those problems with Collector's Edition. Owl Statues perma-saved, it never lagged, never crashed, nothing.