Confess your nerd sins

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
- I don't much care for Valve games. Portal and TF2 are okay.

- I don't like Zelda games, or at least I don't if they're like Ocarina of Time.

- I don't care whether games are viewed as art or not.

- I enjoy harem anime, and I have trouble watching any anime over 10 years old.

- I've played one MMO (Runescape) and don't ever want to play any ever again.

- I think almost all indie games are garbage and unworthy of the high scores they get (seriously, Fez is not a 9/10 game).

- And finally, I think gamers are the most pathetic, whiney people on the planet (at least the more vocal ones are), and I don't give two shits that whatever group isn't well enough represented in the industry. What I do care about is when a company can't make a game with an all white or all male cast without being barraged with accusations of sexism or racism. These people need to direct their anger into literally anything else and it'd be more productive.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Here I go:

I genuinely consider the first two Bay Transformers movies to be good movies.
(Didn't like the third one; haven't seen the robot dinosaur one.)

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I pretty much don't watch TV. Every now and then, something circulates on the internet loudly enough that I give it a glance, but I'm generally not bothered to look into whatever this year's hit series might be.

Never played a Metroid game. Never even started one.

I thought the Star Wars prequels, all three of them, were alright as far as movies go.

I don't watch a lot of movies, either.

I don't care at all for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or "horror" games in general. This one might be because of wires crossed in my brain or something, but I don't think I get horror. I see that the mangled fuckwits want me to join their happy family in the dark, grungy basement, but more often than not I see them more as an inconvenience to be worked around than a threat to be feared.

I've played through Dead Space and Amnesia. Neither were scary and the only way the latter wasn't a slow, poorly-lit patience tester for me ("Yes, I get it, you're skulking around the room because I fondled the puzzle inappropriately, (She wouldn't open the next goddamn door, Officer!) can I move on now?") was if I went out of my way to get into a fearful mindset; one of those cripplingly shy types that might be halfway to a breakdown if engaged in conversation.

Very much not wanting anything to look at me for any reason, it was suddenly very easy to be scared of the monsters, but if I applied that mindset to any other game, it'd have the same effect. I'm not sure it counts as horror if I'd be equally afraid to stand in the Whiterun marketplace because I was too terrified to engage anyone in conversation. Or eye contact. Or-*Flees!*

Luckily, I didn't realize this until after finishing the game, (knocking shit over for the win!) but you can bet I made no effort whatsoever to give Machine for Pigs a look.

Dead Space had me running helpless from a thing I'd barely had four seconds to get a good look at, but once they gave me a way to defend myself, (Shoot them in the left leg twice, when they fall, you'll probably be aiming at their upraised arm by default. Three shots to kill most of the standard enemies) I hardly ever felt endangered again. That might be because I didn't go into Dead Space expecting anything the least bit scary for someone that was pretty much desensitized, so it was more like a jolly string of brawls (smacking things upside the head with a plasma cutter is dangerous, but damned funny) than some horrific ordeal about which to weep into my asylum pillow. The one that weeps back sometimes.

I played Resident Evil 4 the same way, (Nerd sin: It didn't seem like a fantastic game to me and Ashley wasn't really all that irritating. Seems like she's not even there most of the game.) walked into starting area feeling a little creeped out by the nicely atmospheric environments, learned violence, pretty much smooth sailing from there.

EDIT: Oh, one more! I think Morrowind was a fantastic game for it's time, but it does not hold up at all today. Not only are Oblivion and Skyrim better, but, in my opinion, most recent RPGs are better than Morrowind.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Here goes mine.

I found the first Transformers movie by Michael Bay to be pretty decent.

I don't think Amnesia: The Dark Descent is anywhere near as scary as people make it out to be. I get more scared by jump scares than long, dull moments of nothing.

Likewise, I don't think a lack of combat makes a horror game scarier.

I find Miyazaki and his movies to be overrated.

I can't stand Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Shadow of The Colossus.

I actually like School Days, both the visual novel and anime.

Aside from Pokemon, I don't care all that much for the popular franchises of Nintendo.

I only play a fighting game when it's connected to a series that I like.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The Phantom Menace is my favorite Star Wars movie of the prequel trilogy. For me, its two otherwise fun sequels were marred by their terrible romantic subplots. And overall, the prequels were alright.

On that note, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was better than Temple of Doom. Full stop.

I have absolutely no interest in Doctor Who whatsoever. Honestly, the entire series is a huge clusterfuck to me.

I believe that the Lord of the Rings films are superior to their novel counterparts. They takes the ideas and run away with them. I've always felt that Tolkien's writing is extraneous and at times downright boring.

I can't wrap my head around Planescape: Torment. I just can't. Word of mouth has often said that it is the best RPG videogame ever made, but I just can't get into it.

In terms of gameplay, visuals, and narrative, I actually think that Final Fantasy XIII is superior to several of its predecessors. I cannot say the same for its sequels though; honestly, it would have been better off without them.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I feel like this complete pop culture saturation is going to cheapen everything for everybody.

I feel like there's more overbearing nostalgia going around than ever. I also think that's going to cheapen everything for everyone.

I haven't sinned, because I'm not a nerd or geek or dorkus malorkus.

Also, Amnesia is a huge step down from Penumbra.

Also I was never annoyed at Navi, or the Water Temple.

Also, Doctor Who ended with Paul McGann. You probably can't get into Doctor Who because the true Doctor Who was low budget and deliriously, gloriously British. Also, no one who watched it before David Tennant called themselves a 'Whovian'.

Know your place, young people.

Also, it did evolve from a children's programme, you know. Maybe it's more of a family saturday night show now, but anyone acting like it's hard sci fi is being very, very silly.

rprospero

Nov 15, 2014
Not The Bees said:
I thought being a nerd just meant I was smart...
We'll need to reminisce later about the old days when being a nerd meant someone who was smart and not someone who liked the things that smart people tend to be into.

As for my nerd sins, I'll just start with my great gaming heresies.

- I liked Bioshock 2 better than Bioshock. I thought that the characters in Bioshock 2 were more interesting. It didn't help that playing System Shock 2 gave away some of the twist in Bioshock. I never trusted Atlas, but I wanted Ryan dead for my own reasons.

- I never got into Half-Life. I got bored and quit half way through both games.

- I rather liked Castlevania 64. Not the best game ever, but far from the worst.

rprospero

Nov 15, 2014
Not The Bees said:
rprospero said:
Not The Bees said:
I thought being a nerd just meant I was smart...
We'll need to reminisce later about the old days when being a nerd meant someone who was smart and not someone who liked the things that smart people tend to be into.

As for my nerd sins, I'll just start with my great gaming heresies.

- I liked Bioshock 2 better than Bioshock. I thought that the characters in Bioshock 2 were more interesting. It didn't help that playing System Shock 2 gave away some of the twist in Bioshock. I never trusted Atlas, but I wanted Ryan dead for my own reasons.

- I never got into Half-Life. I got bored and quit half way through both games.

- I rather liked Castlevania 64. Not the best game ever, but far from the worst.
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]MY HUSBAND EVERYONE!!!![/HEADING][/HEADING]
And, of course, you tell everyone this in the thread where I admit to preferring Bioshock 2.

I love you.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I despise most superhero and 'edgy' action movies.

The new Doctor Who had me enjoying Eccleston, and a fair ammount of Tennant, and then steadily trailing off.

A friend said once that the new Sherlock is a man playing at being a god, while Doctor Who is a god playing at being a man. I thought that was quite clever. I also only mildly liked the new Sherlock stuff.

thedailylunatic

May 11, 2009
I don't like most JRPG's and anime. I feel the genres are havens for bad writing and wish fulfillment.
I don't mean to offend anyone! Just my mea culpa!

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
My sins hmm ok.

I've never watched a single Star Trek, Stargate or an episode of star anything in my life.

I adored the Revenge of the Sith, in fact me and my brother went to see it 4 times. That's how great we thought it was. (I still think it's pretty good.)

I'm a huge fan of Assassins Creed, despite it being just the same game over. I find them very enjoyable.

I rather liked the Sam Rami Spider-man films, including 3.

I've never played a single Zelda game in my life, and will probably never.

I enjoy Shoenen anime, Bleach Naruto and One Piece, I loved them all.

I've tried watching Evangelion and Cowboy Bepop on several occasions but just can't get into them.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all the sins I can currently think off, at the moment.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
When we learned programming in highschool, my code usually worked but it was a MESS. Like, I'd look at it the next day and think "What kind of retard wrote this horrible hack?! What is this even supposed to do..oh wait..that's mine".

One time I couldn't get the "Quit" button in the UI to work properly. So I put a function to it that would just crash the program and a little script that would simulate a spacebar input really fast, so that the error message would disappear. The teacher actually went pale and had to sit down when he saw the code.

The moment I had to officially hand in my nerd card was when we had to make a program for an exam, and me, having forgotten the syntax for sub routines, wrote the whole thing with a godless amount of GOTOs. It was a fucking atrocious mess of spaghetti code like was never seen before. I'm pretty sure the teacher was almost crying.

But fuck me, the program worked.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I think super heroes as a concept are absolutely retarded.

That should probably suffice to land me in some sort of nerd hell.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Oh, I got one more:

I thinkDungeouns & Dragons and tabletop RPGs in general are incredibly stupid and you'd either have to pay me or threaten to kill me before I'd participate in it.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Marvel and DC Comics interest me right up where the sun never shines, and as such I don't know what characters belong in Marvel, and what characters belongs to DC. Give me Don Rosa's Donald Duck any day (or Barks, for that matter), that's all the comics I need.

Not The Bees said:
I'd rather watch documentaries on astrophysics and CERN, and I do, regularly!
Could you send me a link to such shows on PM? And possibly other recommendations as well?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Holy shit this thread, I'm starting to wonder if The Escapist isn't in actuality an online sports bar... which would explain a great deal of the shouting matches.

I guess the only thing relevant I could throw onto your massive bonfire is comics, the price/value point is just insane on those. Granted they are very pricey in my region, nonetheless when you only get about 5 minutes of reading/ogling content they make a terrible deal even at one buck each.