Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

I'm going to be real with you, I can't. I just can't. What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't just watch this happen, but there's nothing I can do.
I know what you mean, and my only advice is:

You can decide to be a better person than the ones you see on TV. You're only responsible for yourself.

I'm told the computer system Gene Hackman describes in 1998's "Enemy of the State" is based on real, pre 9/11 systems that record info about any number of trigger words spoken inside of CONUS over the phones. He advises that it was built in the 1970s, so imagine what they have now. Well, in 1998, human beings could still beat super computers in chess.
No. Assuming that it was true, and that they could recognise and understand human speech in the 70s, and could monitor all phone conversations (both of which aren't that simple even today), then they'd have zillions of recorded conversations that zillions of people need to sit and listen to and collate and try to make sense of, and most of it is useless rubbish.

Did they miss 9/11? To this day, some argue they didn't: "they" let it happen to make the tail wag the dog. Same thing may have happened with this terrorist event.

One thing that makes me think you are hopefully right: our intelligence agencies can seem pretty unimpressive. It used to be said that someone would only make it to the top of the FBI most wanted list if the FBI already knew where the perp was and were already about to arrest him.
To this day "some argue" that 9/11 was done by space lizards. My understanding of it (admittedly not an expert) was that information was there, but spread out amongst different departments that didn't talk to each other. Possibly if everything had been organised perfectly they might have seen it coming, or might not.

To misquote the Goodies, "Intelligence agencies have a very difficult job, which is why they do it so badly."

Reactions: gorfias

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Did they miss 9/11? To this day, some argue they didn't: "they" let it happen to make the tail wag the dog. Same thing may have happened with this terrorist event.
Conspiracies like this fail on the most simple level that so many people in intelligence and government would know something about it that it's utterly implausible everyone would stay quiet about it - and at least one would have a conscience or want the attention. Just think about stuff leaks from any organisation because one employee thinks the world deserves to know.

If you think of literally any organisation at all - government departments, corporations, etc. - they all make mistakes, including some staggering howlers. They're still all full of the same human beings with their flaws and foibles, the same sort of imperfect systems and processes, and so on. The banks appear to have been stunned by the financial crash in 2007/8, despite them all knowingly lending each other huge quantities of unsafe debt!

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Conspiracies like this fail on the most simple level that so many people in intelligence and government would know something about it that it's utterly implausible everyone would stay quiet about it - and at least one would have a conscience or want the attention. Just think about stuff leaks from any organisation because one employee thinks the world deserves to know.

If you think of literally any organisation at all - government departments, corporations, etc. - they all make mistakes, including some staggering howlers. They're still all full of the same human beings with their flaws and foibles, the same sort of imperfect systems and processes, and so on. The banks appear to have been stunned by the financial crash in 2007/8, despite them all knowingly lending each other huge quantities of unsafe debt!
"Watergate" is the disproof of 90% of government conspiracy theories.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

One million people. 24 hours to evacuate One million people. Impossible, obviously, but gives cover for the IDF to blame the UN for when it kills a bunch of civilians
Hamas showed zero concern for the lives of civilians. The trouble is, I don't believe the Israeli government does, either: one dead Palestinian is one fewer obstacle for their greater glory. The main difference is that Israel ultimately does have a little more concern for international reputation. This is overtly going to be a collective punishment of the Palestinians in Gaza, with the only question being how much revenge misery and death Israel can get away with without making the international community quail.

Currently I think Israeli casualties are 1200. I figure therefore they'll be using ~12,000 dead Palestinians as an approximate guide, and all the better if they manage to bag a few Hamas members in the total.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Congratulations, you're wrong as usual. Leave the smack talk to the people who know how to actually use it. Because someone who clearly wants to be used as a pawn like you, clearly doesn't.

And that's all you're going to get from me. Deal with it.

@Specter Von Baren, why you sucking his dick all of a sudden?
I just thought that comment was funny. The absurdity of saying "You're not actually from Detroit" made me laugh.

Reactions: tstorm823

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just thought that comment was funny. The absurdity of saying "You're not actually from Detroit" made me laugh.
Ok then. Everyone has their own taste in humor, and I am not going to hate on you about it.

Well, everyone knows Brawl is really from Wood Oak City, so...
Now that is actually funny and made me laugh.

And here I thought Brawl was from Cybertron…..
Well, I do like Transformers.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I know what you mean, and my only advice is:

You can decide to be a better person than the ones you see on TV. You're only responsible for yourself.

No. Assuming that it was true, and that they could recognise and understand human speech in the 70s, and could monitor all phone conversations (both of which aren't that simple even today), then they'd have zillions of recorded conversations that zillions of people need to sit and listen to and collate and try to make sense of, and most of it is useless rubbish.

To this day "some argue" that 9/11 was done by space lizards. My understanding of it (admittedly not an expert) was that information was there, but spread out amongst different departments that didn't talk to each other. Possibly if everything had been organised perfectly they might have seen it coming, or might not.

To misquote the Goodies, "Intelligence agencies have a very difficult job, which is why they do it so badly."

Do you think there is anything to the idea that Netanyahu et. al. actually helped Hamas to divide and conquer?
1697197300121.png
It is so easy to believe there are those that wanted this to make the tail wag the dog.
If Netanyahu wants to destroy Gaza, this certainly gave him a green light to much of the world.

I can believe that they can record and store trigger words but yeah. That would make for trillions of hits that amount to nothing. Imagine telling a friend over the phone that a movie "bombed" or "tanked" or that you support the "war on poverty" etc.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think there is anything to the idea that Netanyahu et. al. actually helped Hamas to divide and conquer?
Well, Netanyahu did (in a 2019 interview) state that supporting Hamas is an intentional part of his foreign policy, because he believes it acts to prevent the creation of a Palestinian state. He then attempted to get the interview reporting quashed.

But that sort of supports what Agema is saying about the nature of conspiracy. Netanyahu conspired, and it was revealed the very same year despite efforts to hide it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
View attachment 9801
It is so easy to believe there are those that wanted this to make the tail wag the dog.
If Netanyahu wants to destroy Gaza, this certainly gave him a green light to much of the world.
As a long term conspiracy, I don't buy it. As a short term move some time ago that turned out to have long term consequences...yeah, that sort of things happens all the time.

I can believe that they can record and store trigger words but yeah. That would make for trillions of hits that amount to nothing. Imagine telling a friend over the phone that a movie "bombed" or "tanked" or that you support the "war on poverty" etc.
Nowdays they could do that, but only to people they've decided to monitor, which can't be everyone. Decades ago, well, they could, but it'd mean some human doing the listening.

Again, no expert, but I daresay your demographics play a big part into whether or not they decide to utilise any resources looking at you. Hell, after a school shooting in the US, how often does it turn out that the guy had been talking about doing a shooting online, but until he got famous in the worst way, nobody was looking that way?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Bit before Netanyahu's time, but his predecessors in the Israeli government, very likely. They would reason that if they helped create factions in the Palestinians, the Palestinians would probably spend more time fighting each other than Israel. And in ways, you can see their point - back in the day, Fatah was highly militant and there wasn't anything like the same concept of Islamist militancy as we've found out all about in the last 20-30 years.

States have always fostered, and will continue to foster, division in their opponents for short-term expediency without really considering where it might go wrong long-term.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Some news:

And a video highlighting an aspect I did not know about:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

The position of the Israeli president is that there are no Palestinian civilians

Side question: has a popular uprising like this murderous bastard says the Palestinian people should've done ever actually happened? Like, even once in history, after the people saying they should started peppering the populace with death?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Side question: has a popular uprising like this murderous bastard says the Palestinian people should've done ever actually happened? Like, even once in history, after the people saying they should started peppering the populace with death?
As you say, this is a very disturbing speech. It is essentially a pretext for unlimited civilian casualties.

It is also blind to one key factor: the problem that the Palestinians see in Gaza is not so much Hamas. Who blockades them, restricts their food, fuel, building materials, destroys their property and means of production? It's Israel.

One might argue every strike against Israel is the Gazans rising against the tyranny oppressing them.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Hamas in their own words:

One million people. 24 hours to evacuate One million people. Impossible, obviously, but gives cover for the IDF to blame the UN for when it kills a bunch of civilians
Even if that number of people could actually leave, it is questionable whether they would be allowed to return.

One might argue every strike against Israel is the Gazans rising against the tyranny oppressing them.
And it might be asked what alternative they have other than a slow death.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

We could be seeing a democracy commit a large-scale short-term massacre of a civilian population in recent memory very soon. If this happens all the neo-cons and neo-libs who argue that democracies are the best thing since sliced bread should never go into public life ever again including Netanyahu.

At this point, I shudder to think what the US will do in the future given this moral breaking of norms.

I predict at least 50K dead Gazans.