Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I googled "Gaza Life expectancy", and scrolled til I found one that gave a number for just Gaza, here:

Then I googled "life expectancy World Map", and flicked quickly over the countries here to see what beat 75.66 from above:

And saw UAE, Kuwait, and Qatar significantly higher.
Well as you've already said, depending on what source you use you can get really varying numbers. For that reason I don't think it's right to compare the CIA fact book with OurWorldInData, their methods might differ. I took the liberty to see what the life expectancy in Saudi Arabia and Lebanon was according to the CIA fact book (since they treat Gaza as a separate entity), and both had higher life expectancy than the Gaza strip, so I don't think your statement of the Gaza strip being in the top 4 holds water.

I'm not saying it wasn't a sloppily made point
I do think it was that. It was also a minor point so I feel a bit silly performing some sort of Spanish inquisition on it.
I don't think you're going to dispute the overall point.
I honestly am a bit doubtful if the life expectancy is that relevant for the discussion at hand. More on that in a bit.
One person is characterizing the area as a concentration camp where people are starved and poisoned and most don't make it to adulthood, and then you look at the numbers and they life longer there than people across most of the globe, including some immediate neighbors.
I thought the point was "They are starving children". Regardless of what the outcome is, and regardless of what Seanchaidh said is true, the data about median age I read as a point about how old people we are talking about.

I don't think you're even from Detroit.
I believe so. Post #8892 of the General Gaming News thread convinced me. But this is venturing off topic. And treating a fellow human being as something to gossip about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think you're even from Detroit.
Congratulations, you're wrong as usual. Leave the smack talk to the people who know how to actually use it. Because someone who clearly wants to be used as a pawn like you, clearly doesn't.

And that's all you're going to get from me. Deal with it.

@Specter Von Baren, why you sucking his dick all of a sudden?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well as you've already said, depending on what source you use you can get really varying numbers. For that reason I don't think it's right to compare the CIA fact book with OurWorldInData, their methods might differ. I took the liberty to see what the life expectancy in Saudi Arabia and Lebanon was according to the CIA fact book (since they treat Gaza as a separate entity), and both had higher life expectancy than the Gaza strip, so I don't think your statement of the Gaza strip being in the top 4 holds water.

I do think it was that. It was also a minor point so I feel a bit silly performing some sort of Spanish inquisition on it.

I honestly am a bit doubtful if the life expectancy is that relevant for the discussion at hand. More on that in a bit.

I thought the point was "They are starving children". Regardless of what the outcome is, and regardless of what Seanchaidh said is true, the data about median age I read as a point about how old people we are talking about.

I believe so. Post #8892 of the General Gaming News thread convinced me. But this is venturing off topic. And treating a fellow human being as something to gossip about.
Don't waste your time on him. Remember, all he does is goal post.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

I don't think you understood what I wrote.

Your link shows there being investigations about these things where they are alleged, whereas what I describe would be like having Israeli politicians dancing about them and proudly uploading them on tictoc as if they're a good thing.

It's one thing to celebrate a war victory in a disengaged way as a spectator from far away and another to be part of the mob that is surrounding an actual corpse that is in your vicinity.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023

Stage 1 of the mission completed! Palestinian casualties have overtaken Israeli.

Then don't.
A lot of Western politicians got very gung ho in support of Israel. If that full invasion of Gaza goes ahead and Palestinian casualties rack up into the many thousands, even tens of thousands, I wonder how many might start feeling very uncomfortable and urging restraint.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I don't think you understood what I wrote.

Your link shows there being investigations about these things where they are alleged, whereas what I describe would be like having Israeli politicians dancing about them and proudly uploading them on tictoc as if they're a good thing.

It's one thing to celebrate a war victory in a disengaged way as a spectator from far away and another to be part of the mob that is surrounding an actual corpse that is in your vicinity.
Is this really a hair you want to split? "Celebrating a war victory" by chanting about all the dead Palestinian kids?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Congratulations, you're wrong as usual. Leave the smack talk to the people who know how to actually use it.
You are a charicature. Your smack talk is like a GTA side character trying to act tough after getting pantsed.
Seanchaidh not saying true things really is my point. His m.o. is to spam thick enough propaganda that the truth and lies get lost together, and picking even a minor technical truth to correct may help remind people to accept nothing from him at face value. Check everything.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

So apparently a bunch of Syrian footages being used pretend that it's Gaza. That's kind of disgusting to be honest especially since you don't need to use misleading footage to get your point across.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
POTUS candidate Vivek Ramaswamy is seen on Tucker demanding to know why with all of the US/Israeli intelligence out there, could they not have seen this attack coming from a mile away?
Vivek Ramaswamy is a fucking tool who'd say anything to get attention.

A quick look through history would tell us that intelligence services miss things all the time (anyone remember 9/11?) - because it's actually really difficult to catch everything, especially if the people you're trying to get intelligence on are at least reasonably competent. I think people have this weird idea the intelligence services get lots of money spent on them and are therefore somehow infallible. Truth is, they miss things all the time, including big things, just like any organisation. We can just be thankful about the stuff they do catch in our defence.

I doubt the USA expends a great deal of intelligence effort on the Palestinians directly, because the Palestinians don't threaten US interests much and so the USA has much bigger fish to fry. The USA probably just lets Israel and a few other countries do most of it, and picks up bits from information sharing agreements. From my reading around there is, however, a case to be made that Israel may have been complacent, possibly more militarily than in terms of intelligence services.

Reactions: gorfias

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You are a charicature. Your smack talk is like a GTA side character trying to act tough after getting pantsed.

Seanchaidh not saying true things really is my point. His m.o. is to spam thick enough propaganda that the truth and lies get lost together, and picking even a minor technical truth to correct may help remind people to accept nothing from him at face value. Check everything.
Well isn't the key claim in his post the one where it's alleged they calculated the required nutrition needed by Palestinians then allow less than that amount of food through to undercut that deliberately? That would be equivalent to deliberate genocidal policy and seems the most important point, not quibbling over life expectancy statistics.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am a caricature. My smack talk is like a GTA Saints Row Reboot side character trying to act tough after getting pantsed.

Glad you admitted that's you and your lame comebacks as usual. We're done here. You have nothing important to say as usual, and I wont disrespect the tragedies and atrocities that have been going on. So no thread derailments. Go cry to your masters for scraps.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Vivek Ramaswamy is a fucking tool who'd say anything to get attention.

A quick look through history would tell us that intelligence services miss things all the time (anyone remember 9/11?) - because it's actually really difficult to catch everything, especially if the people you're trying to get intelligence on are at least reasonably competent. I think people have this weird idea the intelligence services get lots of money spent on them and are therefore somehow infallible. Truth is, they miss things all the time, including big things, just like any organisation. We can just be thankful about the stuff they do catch in our defence.

I doubt the USA expends a great deal of intelligence effort on the Palestinians directly, because the Palestinians don't threaten US interests much and so the USA has much bigger fish to fry. The USA probably just lets Israel and a few other countries do most of it, and picks up bits from information sharing agreements. From my reading around there is, however, a case to be made that Israel may have been complacent, possibly more militarily than in terms of intelligence services.
I dunno. I can be talking to my wife about a gizmo I'm thinking of buying and then bam! she gets an email offering to sell her one.

I'm told the computer system Gene Hackman describes in 1998's "Enemy of the State" is based on real, pre 9/11 systems that record info about any number of trigger words spoken inside of CONUS over the phones. He advises that it was built in the 1970s, so imagine what they have now. Well, in 1998, human beings could still beat super computers in chess.

Did they miss 9/11? To this day, some argue they didn't: "they" let it happen to make the tail wag the dog. Same thing may have happened with this terrorist event.

One thing that makes me think you are hopefully right: our intelligence agencies can seem pretty unimpressive. It used to be said that someone would only make it to the top of the FBI most wanted list if the FBI already knew where the perp was and were already about to arrest him.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Is this really a hair you want to split? "Celebrating a war victory" by chanting about all the dead Palestinian kids?
Yeah, that's the difference between someone rejoicing over their political goals being perceived to have been met (no more up and coming enemies) versus someone rejoicing in a cruel and barbaric way over a particular dead individual.

Wars are fought between nations, not citizens. A nation will force its population to fight to achieve the ruling elite's aims but that usually doesn't align with the wishes of the common citizen. The only way to equate the two is to consider random rave-goers as just as bad as their leaders for merely being from the same country, and to totally not see their humanity when a corpse is right in front of you.

People have a great capacity to compartmentalize and disassociate, to close their eyes to things not right in front of them, but those same people would typically be unable to do that if faced with the repercussions of what they're tacitly approving head-on. It takes a whole order of magnitude greater lack of moral compass and is thoroughly unenlightened never mind fanatical to dehumanize someone whom you clearly see right in front of you as being very much human. A dead person is a tragedy but a thousand is a statistic, we lack the capacity to comprehend such great ills so if it means no more future enemies I can understand why someone would rejoice at the notion without truly thinking about what a thousand dead children really means, but most of us can indeed comprehend it when faced with it head-on.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well isn't the key claim in his post the one where it's alleged they calculated the required nutrition needed by Palestinians then allow less than that amount of food through to undercut that deliberately? That would be equivalent to deliberate genocidal policy and seems the most important point, not quibbling over life expectancy statistics.
When Hamas took control of Gaza, Israel blocked most traffic across the border. When doing so, they calculated estimated quantities of basic goods, including food, that the people of Gaza need, and how many shipments would be needed to deliver them. And during that time, there were usually fewer trucks crossing the border.

But this analysis gives no consideration as to what is in those trucks, or ways other than trucks that food might cross the board. Or that Gaza has another border, and has fishing and agriculture, and that humanitarian aid was unblocked and not counted in that analysis.

The bigger impact of the closed border was actually in blocking the export of foods from Gaza into Israel, as that was a significant portion of Gaza's economy.

Seriously, just assume every point Seanchaidh makes is deceitful unless you can prove otherwise.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Glad you admitted that's you and your lame comebacks as usual. We're done here. You have nothing important to say as usual, and I wont disrespect the tragedies and atrocities that have been going on. So no thread derailments. Go cry to your masters for scraps.
I made you a present. It's links to a bunch of your own useless, inflammatory, derailing posts in this topic that you're apparently so respectful of. I've snipped them down to summaries, but you can click them to see what you actually said.

I know that a lot of your posts in current events exist just to insult people and then try to get out with a parting shot, but it's still shocking to see how quickly you tried to play innocent the instant you got a serious clapback.

Cursing at and insulting another user, not on topic.
Insulting another user, not on topic.
Insulting and dismissing another user, not on topic
Cursing, insulting, and dismissing other users. Mostly off topic.
More insults.

Reactions: Gyrobot and Hawki

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yeah, that's the difference between someone rejoicing over their political goals being perceived to have been met (no more up and coming enemies) versus someone rejoicing in a cruel and barbaric way over a particular dead individual.

Wars are fought between nations, not citizens. A nation will force its population to fight to achieve the ruling elite's aims but that usually doesn't align with the wishes of the common citizen. The only way to equate the two is to consider random rave-goers as just as bad as their leaders for merely being from the same country, and to totally not see their humanity when a corpse is right in front of you.

People have a great capacity to compartmentalize and disassociate, to close their eyes to things not right in front of them, but those same people would typically be unable to do that if faced with the repercussions of what they're tacitly approving head-on. It takes a whole order of magnitude greater lack of moral compass and is thoroughly unenlightened never mind fanatical to dehumanize someone whom you clearly see right in front of you as being very much human. A dead person is a tragedy but a thousand is a statistic, we lack the capacity to comprehend such great ills so if it means no more future enemies I can understand why someone would rejoice at the notion without truly thinking about what a thousand dead children really means, but most of us can indeed comprehend it when faced with it head-on.
I think you're just broken, honestly. Not loving this rerun of 2003

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America