Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
You know, there's a Christian ad that comes on the radio that makes me want to stab someone. I think that it should come with a warning, too.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
*beep beep beep beep* "hello, limb factory? hi, I'd like to know if you have a leg for mr. Baca to stand on please? no? well, too bad."

hell, this again? seriously, when are they going to get the message?

actually, besides this stuff making me rage a little bit.... (yes, just a little bit. if it would make me rage a lot, I'd have raged myself to death by now) it does make me wonder... WHY do they do this? I mean, the games industry isn't hurting him, I'm not buying the "because I care about the children" bullshit... so why is it? what's in it for him? If he actually cared, he'd have researched the subject more and would've found that that he's completely wrong...

Runsta

Apr 6, 2010
Damn, and thats my congressman too... god I dislike Frank Wolf... yet another thing for me to complain about when he decides to lecture at my college.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
You know, we should stick a label on him that says " exporesure to idot politicans who want unbased harmful claims to be seen as fact may cause anger and violence to those exposed"

Because video games don't make me violent, but hearing about these morons claiming it does sure as hell makes me want to smash something.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
So why don't we have our own damn lobbyists in Washington? Every other industry uses them even the ones with legitimately harmful products. I personally don't like the idea of lobbyists but as long as they are going to exist we might as well use them to to keep the industry from becoming a scapegoat for people like this asshole.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Le Tueur said:
JediMB said:
There are links. Aggressive people like to play violent videogames.
No shit, they also like violent music and movies as well. This is unrelated to the article.

JediMB said:
There's no proof that violent videogames cause aggressive/violent behavior, though.
This is the point of the article. This moron isn't trying to say violent people like things that are also violent, it is saying games will result in real violence so they need to be labeled as though they are a drug.
I'm just saying that what he wants the label to say isn't technically incorrect. The problem is, though, that it implies causality and treats videogames as if they're cigarettes or some other form of controlled substance.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ooh, I have an awesome idea: let's use math to prove he's an idiot:
Baca's Theorem: Warning labels exist if and only if they warn of actual danger. (in English: if there is danger, warning labels exist, and warning labels exist if there is danger. If and only if statements have to be true forwards and backwards)
Definition: Danger-the supposed relationship between playing video games and violent, anti-social behavior.
Counterexample the first: Despite having played ME2 (gawd I love that game) and Minecraft excessively, I have only murdered three people today, and they really deserved it. Cut me off, bicyclist, will you?!!! Therefore, no danger exist. Therefore, Warning labels may exist without the actual danger being real.
Counterexample the second: I am able to buy both video games, alcohol, and firearms at Walmart without any warning to the danger that this combination may pose. Therefore, danger may exist without warning labels.
Via 2 counterexamples, it has been shown that Baca's Theorem is false under the provided definition. Consequently, Baca is an idiot.
Oh, what's that you say? There isn't actually an established link between virtual and real life murder? Aw, but this is creative math...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Awesomeforthemasses said:
What I noticed is that this guy's name is one letter away from "baka".
...that's one of two words of Japanese I know :p

The other's pervert XD
Oh, you're such a hentai, aren't you. :p

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
Correlation =/= Cause. This guy and many others who say the same thing seem to forget that.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The worst part is, we all give the guy way too much attention. The best way to minimize the damage a guy like this could do is to minimize him, and that basically means ignoring him. Labels aren't going to change the actual social understanding of video games, the same way the label on cigarettes didn't change the number of people who smoke.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
In related news, here is a photo of what a stupid and gullible person looks like. Quick, someone send him an e-mail about a dying Nigerian prince.

Also, what this guy said
Cursed Frogurt said:
Stop wasting our money.
Sort of says it all, doesn't it? Anybody on here live in or near this guy's district? Californians cannot be tolerant of this kind of behavior.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
When are all the old, stupid people going to die off? It'd sure be nice to get some congressmen and politicians who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to video games (Or anything else, for that matter).
It doesn't matter. They'll be replaced by the young stupid people they raised.
And it would be nice to get politicians who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to anything.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Cursed Frogurt said:
You know who needs a lesson in responisbility? The government.

Stop wasting our money.
Thank you, I feel this is the biggest problem. While many are content with this being just stupid or uninformed, the bigger problem we face are the politicians agendas. Their priorities are so screwed up if they think that this bill is necessary compared to say California being broke and the constant energy crisis over there. How about the US? While we're in a rebuilding period due to eight years of damage, this bill is deemed important by some? I personally am not a fan of flushing away money when there isn't any.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I made the joke before and I'll make it again, because I just cannot pass it up.
Seriously, different spelling, same pronunciation.

Plus, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. That is all I need to say to point out one of the major flaws with this.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
*sigh* some people just seem to ave some sort of unexplained, stupid and unreasonable grudge against video games...

This guy is full of crap, when will people realise the truth, and stop blaming video games for their problems...