Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Crispee said:
Correlation =/= Cause. This guy and many others who say the same thing seem to forget that.
I respect what you are saying, but this is thrown around way too much on here. In the political arena, correlation DOES = cause. That isn't life, but politics is all about controlling what other people do with their money, time, and efforts.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
BRB

Gonna go play some CoD, then kill my parents.

On a more serious note, I can't believe people are this stupid. Joe Baca is a democrat and Frank Wolfe is a republican. I guess there goes my theory that one side is going a bit too far. Third party HO!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
SirBryghtside said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I made the joke before and I'll make it again, because I just cannot pass it up.
Seriously, different spelling, same pronunciation.

Plus, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. That is all I need to say to point out one of the major flaws with this.
Actually, that's where I learnt my two words of Japanese XD
Japanese: For when you want to say something that can get you fired.

[sub][sub]Post 777, lucky day. :p[/sub][/sub]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Jesus tapdancing Christ, seriously? Fine, you can put that on there, even though you are ignorant and are just making this crap up to make yourself look good, but you have to do something for me. I demand that you put a health warning label on candy bars that says: "WARNING: Eating this might cause you to be fat."

Seriously though, don't you have something else better to do than wasting our time?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, of course Mr Baca would propose something preposterous like this - after all, he's a well-known schizophrenic, a drunk and a pedophile.

Oh, wait. No he's not.
I apologize, Mr Baca. Sometimes I spout nonsense and lies, I can't help myself. I'm sure you can empathize.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
My fuck, our government is worthless! Get a new fucking job congressman, because you damn well aren't doing your job well.

So much time and money wasted making laws we just don't need.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
So why don't we have our own damn lobbyists in Washington? Every other industry uses them even the ones with legitimately harmful products. I personally don't like the idea of lobbyists but as long as they are going to exist we might as well use them to to keep the industry from becoming a scapegoat for people like this asshole.
actually, we do.
the videogame voters network and the entertainment consumers association lobby for us.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I will conceed it has show increased feelings and thoughts of agression. However, outside that one thing Jesus said, thoughts and feelings are not the actions themselves.

Also, I honestly thought it was gonna be from Leeland Yee.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Crispee said:
Correlation =/= Cause. This guy and many others who say the same thing seem to forget that.
Wait a second...
violent crime in the U.S. has actually declined over the past two decades despite the explosive growth of the videogame industry.
There was a correlation?
I was referring to the apparent imaginary link mentioned in the fist post. :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, gaming is the current boogieman, trying to pass a bill like this makes it look like he's trying to do something, while letting him stay away from the REAL issues which are so contreversial that even if he succeeds he's liable to nuke his own career prospects.

We are not going to see common sense here, any more than we did with attacks on things like comics, and rock music.

What's more violence is part of being human, and I think there is far too much negativity ascribed to it. Yes, we should control those impulses, but no we should not be trying to do away with violence all together, that's not healthy and will lead to more problems than anything since we (as a species) are where we are now BECAUSE of those instincts. Of course this is an entirely differant discussion, the point being that the underlying logic (violence is always bad) is in of itself a problem. I think video games are a decent way of channeling some of those impulses in a harmless fashion, but I'll also say that I think society itself need to change to allow for more physical outlets... (but again, this is a whole differant discussion, which I've gone into before).

-

Now, one side note:

I do not think violent crime has actually been on a decline recently, though if it was, consider we've had a good portion of our most young and aggressive members of society stationed overseas for a long time now.

Given the stigma attached to having a high rate of violence in an area, and what it can do to the economy and propery values and such, I think there is a tendency right now to have violent crimes labeled something else for the purposes of the paperwork when it can be gotten away with.

Also according to some things I've read, disappearances are at an all time high. It could be connected to the paperwork being careful not to list violence if it's suspected, and it could also be that people are becoming a lot more savvy in the way they committ crimes. There is a countermeasure for everything, and understand that at a time when there are well researched books (and to a lesser extent TV shows) dealing with forensics and the techniques, people considering crimes today are more prepared to cover their tracks than ever before. Consider that to dispose of a body (the most difficult part) you can use something that includes industial caustic. Over the counter products like Draino include a degree of caustic, and are designed to unclog drains by dissolving organic material. This stuff will dissolve bones from a pork chop, or body hair inside of a drain. Put a dead body in a tub full of this stuff and leave it for a while and you can pretty much send your problems down the drain. At least that's how I was taught to do it, having never put this to use I can't speak from actual experience, but my sources/trainers were kind of reliable. I've mentioned this before. The point here is that even with today's changing standards it's hard to prove a violent death without a body, and I think more people know how to dispose of bodies than ever before. We're in an era where there are a lot of smarter criminals along with all the dumb ones that get made fun of.

If your interested, take a look at some of the 2012 "end of the world" stuff. The spike in the number of disapperances is mentioned in some of this stuff. Occasionally it's also attributed to what some people call "The White Effect" which is when people vanish into thin air. Things like the disapperance of the Roanoak colony, or various ghost towns and such where people were just gone and it looked like they stepped away during dinner or whatever. If you check out creepy "unexplained mysteries" sites you'll see plenty of that kind of thing, and "The White Effect" simply ties it all together (can't remember why it's called that). It's also attributed to the vanishing of individual people, but with individuals and small groups it tends not to be as widely promoted since it's less dramatic. Some people feel that the increase in disappearances is "the white effect" and one of the signs leading up to the end of the world. Personally (other messages aside) I don't think thta'ts the case, but the point is that their conclusions aside other people have noticed this as well.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Le Tueur said:
WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior
No....It hasn't.
THIS
THIS
THIS

We've had "All You Need Is Love" and "Give Peace a Chance" for how many years now, with no world peace in sight, but for some reason, violence is linked to violent games... I've never understood how rational adults can continue to make this distinction.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
So...I called both of his numbers today, but surprise, surprise he was having a busy day "with the state of the union" and what not. Basically I asked his secretary, I guess that was what she was, for more information. I read on his site that he has studies, but he didn't mention names or link any source material. Therefore, I requested that the source material be sent to me so I can read them myself. To understand the other side and what not.

Off topic: Why is that government officials are so hard to get a hold of when they are supposedly the voice of the people?

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Turn the case around and look in the lower right corner, we already have a rating system in place that tells you exactly what this game contains. Stop wasting everyones time you useless old fuck! Those bullshit tests are rigged, a kid doesen't help you pick up the pencils you deliberatly knocked over after playing a violent game? What the fuck does that prove? Those "tests" have been debunked countless times before, half of them were barely scientific. The bastards at Columbine played a few rounds of bowling before shooting up their school, does bowling cause violence? FUCK NO! Seriously, American polititions need a fucking hobby or something.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Wait did he get out again *Lights a torch and walks towards Baca swining the torch back and forth* Back foul beast back under the rock from whence you came

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Awesomeforthemasses said:
What I noticed is that this guy's name is one letter away from "baka".
Oh cool, you speak japanese too?

OT:Let them put the label on, 360 users may be at peace without screachers, and it doesn't really hinder people from playing. Warnings are on cigerettes but people still buy them. The only thing this will be doing is putting video games in a worse public light than they already are.