Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
"WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."
Except it hasn't been. Putting those labels on games would be false advertising. :p

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
If you give your 10 year old Grand Theft Auto, you probably won't even care enough to read the damned label.

Pointless waste of my tax dollars.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Here's an idea. All politicians must wear a tag reading: "Warning! Product may be half-retarded."

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
The supreme court arguements
ph0b0s123 said:
No problems with this, as long as it also done for movies.....

I also love that violence warrants health warnings, but nothing about needing to take breaks during long gaming sessions, make sure you get some exercise, etc, you know actual health advise for gamers. Typical.
The arguement in the supreme court case, beacuse the Justices had the same question you just asked and literaly asked why violent movies shouldn't be held to the same regulation. The arguement was that the INTERACTIVE component to video games give it more "teaches you to be evil" edge.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/40744855/Schwarzenegger-v-EMA

Its an interesting read. These warning labels were in that case as well. They wanted more labeling and regulation punishing sales to minors for MA.

Couple of parts that were great.

http://venturebeat.com/2010/11/02/supreme-court-transcripts-show-where-the-witty-justices-stand-on-the-video-game-violence-case/#

Good article breaking down the case.

The court hasn't ruled yet which means its not a unanimous decision, those usually get ruled on right away. Sometime in march most likely. It seems like the Justices slam the legeslation from the quotes but I warn you, read the other half, the Justices always slam both sides hard. I think they enjoy it.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Senator Joe Baca said:
"WARNING: Excessive unemployment rates of 12% or higher, in my represented state of California, have been proven to cause aggressive behavior and violence in the general population. Though I don't plan on looking into that, because I'm an old useless fuck, and instead, I would like to spend a lot of money adding labels to things."
Fixed.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
BlindTom said:
What links?

That's a pretty violent Link (could have misread that part of the article)

Sounds to me like Baca is a Baka [/bad pun]

---

Jokes aside I don't see this one going anywhere. It's ridiculous after all. As was mentioned in the article, many studies have turned up no links between violence and aggressive behavior. There was even an episode of Bullshit about it (if you're willing to trust Penn and Teller)

And dammit, someone beat me to a Baka joke!

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
....or that violent crime in the U.S. has actually declined over the past two decades despite the explosive growth of the videogame industry.
While I agree (like every damn person on this website -- I'm still waiting for these stories to stop generating pages of comments all saying the same thing) that there is little enough evidence that video games are dangerous that society should at least direct it's attention elsewhere, I'd like to point out that the quote above is a tired, useless argument. For all the crying "correlation =/= causation" (which is true), I hear this an awful lot. The statement is meaningless, if ironic considering the esteemed congressman's testimony. Put simply, asserting that there is a causal relationship here is to invoke post hoc. (On second thought, that wasn't so simple.) Furthermore, even saying "if video games did cause violence, we would see a proportional increase in violent crime as the industry grows" is completely false. The variables that determine crime rate are too many to count, and any number of them could be effecting this drop. For all we know from this statement, video games could still be a problem.

Just stop saying this, basically. It's dumb.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Since the Supreme Court case for EPA vs. California is looking like it is about to go to the EPA's side, California is trying other ways to regulate the media.

Why do I live in this state?

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Besides the idiocy of the Bill, I actually find it quite humorous on a Dark Comedy level. Think about it for a bit walking into a McDonalds and seeing a sign saying "Warning: Excessive Exposure to Fast Food Hamburgers has been linked to Obesity and Heart Disease." ....LOL

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
But not if you're Joe Baca, a California Congressman who thinks the game industry is dodging its responsibility to inform people of the link between violent media and violent behavior.
...That's because there is no such link to inform people of in the first place, you dolt. By the way, you didn't dodge your responsibility to inform people of the link between you recycling the same bullshit bill and wasting taxpayer time and money, right?

Stillve

Sep 19, 2009

My two cents. Videogames don't need more stigmatization, the statement that'd be made by those labels isn't a fact, and even if so, the same could be said of any other damn media.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
"The videogame industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers - to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products."
1: they already do that. it's called the ESRB rating system. whether or not a t-rated game is purchased is up to the parents (who must be brain dead, because they're not paying attention to what their children are doing).

2: how much longer before these old farts finally shut up and die?

3: ???

4: PROFIT!

in all seriousness though: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
California Congressman Joe Baca has introduced "The Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2011," a bill that would require all games rated T or higher to carry another label warning about the links between violent media and aggressive behavior.
Despite the fact that there is absolutely no conclusive evidence to suggest that any such link exists.
Gotta love these politicians, if the facts don't support their position, they'll just make up some new ones that do. And I notice it's California again, what does California got against video games??

Incidentally, fun fact: "Baca" is Japanese for "idiot".

Edit: shit ninja'd!

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"The videogame industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers - to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products," said Rep. Baca.
via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/01/25/congressman-joe-baca-pushes-warning-labels-games]

Would someone kindly remind this brain-damaged son of a ***** that that is EXACTLY what the E-AO rating system already does?

Californian politicians, I swear . . .

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Thus this legislation, which would mandate that all games rated T (Teen) or higher carry a label reading "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."
Evidence: "It's all in my head! So it MUST be right! RARGH!"

"The music industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers - to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their lyrics," said Rep. Baca. "They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility. Meanwhile research continues to show a proven link between listening to mature music and increased aggression and Satanism in young people. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous lyrics."
PFHAHAHAHAHA!

..Oh, sorry. Your being serious, now? Oh my.

Also, bolded content is relevant. Remember that period, eh?

tl'dr: Full of crock.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Dear Mr. Baca.

Despite your noble intentions of protecting the youth, please get educated before making comments that make you look like a tool.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

The gaming community :)