Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I read the title and thought, "we probably should have warning about physical activity deprivation from too much gaming, nearly everyone is in need of that reminder." Then, I open the article and read on...

COME ON!!!!

Still on about this? Waste more tax payer money beating a dead horse, why don't you.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
THAT IS A LIE I WILL DEGUT HIM AND SACRIFICE HIM TO DUKENUKEM i don't agree with his view and will rationally tell him why he is wrong

edit: why don't movies or music have to carry this label if it is violent media why don't T or over movie have to carry this label that it will turn the user into a murder.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
No problems with this, as long as it also done for movies.....

I also love that violence warrants health warnings, but nothing about needing to take breaks during long gaming sessions, make sure you get some exercise, etc, you know actual health advise for gamers. Typical.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
Dont politicians have better things to do than introduce useless, pointless bills, maybe they should instead try to fix the economy.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent videogames and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior
That has been debunked over and over and over again. However I will give you a REAL fact.

Politicians are IDOITS.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
Of all the stupid problems we have in Canada, I'm very happy this continues to not be one of them.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Congressman Wants Health Warning Labels on Games, Again
Shouldn't he be saving this up for the next election? I mean, that's all politicians do these days - create distractions to pull people's attention away from the real issues.

ForsakenUK

Feb 11, 2010
How many studies need to be carried out before politicians start to take notice of them?
It seems as if all of the results that disprove their theories get ignored.
If there was a positive correlation between violent media and violent behaviour you wouldn't be able to move for mass murderers.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Oh, look. A lying politician...Must admit, I'm surprised he's a Democrat instead of a Faux Noise robot.

Edit: I tried looking for a way to email this nonce, but apparently he only accepts mail from people who live in the area he "represents." Great way to avoid some heat, I guess...

Wildcard5

Jun 27, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Would you also like this on alcohol? Which has PROVABLE evidence rather than your made up variety?

Or Catcher in the Rye?

Or Huckleberry Finn?
I actually do wonder if there are warning labels on alcohol bottles now.....probably not.

Why not add Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet to that list. The warning label could warn parents that the former play would cause them to have absurd notions of love and relationships. As for the latter it could warn that it may cause familicide.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"That's why there's warning labels on products people. They're not there for us, they're there for STUPID PEOPLE." If the video industry has a responsibility to parents and families, so too do books stores, comic stores, movie theaters, television companies, violent thugs, and those insulting teenagers who walk through a crowded shopping mall swear with every other word with their friends. Parents have a responsibility to their families genius, not the video game industry.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Without any conclusive results backing up his claims... Isn't that dangerously close to liable?

Well anyway, just looks like another politician trying to look like he's doing something by attacking something he doesn't understand.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I just showed this article to a friend of mine who comes from California and she facepalmed so hard I think she nearly knocked herself out. I love to know how labels are going to change anything. There are warnings on cigarette packets and it doesn't stop people from buying them, why should videogames be any different? It's just a waste of time and money, and I love to know what studies he has read which prove violent videogames cause violent behaviour. I really hope that this whole "violent videogames is the cause of violent behaviour" panic amongst politicians stop soon as it is starting to wear thin a little bit and I think that there are more important things to worry about than a hobby, such as the whole unemployment situation. I heard it's pretty bad in California.

Feb 13, 2008
Wildcard5 said:
Why not add Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet to that list. The warning label could warn parents that the former play would cause them to have absurd notions of love and relationships. As for the latter it could warn that it may cause familicide.
I could make a list of 200 items that could cause negative mental states - with none of them being earmarked.

Or did no-one else feel bad after The Brave Little Toaster?

Code:
 Surgeon General's Warning:
Watching this video has been proven to induce Coulrophobia, Depression, Paranoia and Excessive Ocular Moisture for a period not less than one average lifetime unit.