Connecticut Lawmaker Calls For Taxes, Warning Labels On M-Rated Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Connecticut Lawmaker Calls For Taxes, Warning Labels On M-Rated Games

Connecticut State Representative DebraLee Hovey says "countless studies" have proven that violent video games provoke aggressive and violent behavior, particularly among children and teenagers.

Last year, in the wake of the mass murder at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, State Representative DebraLee Hovey proposed a new tax [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121926-Connecticut-Considers-Violent-Videogame-Tax] on all M-rated video games. The surcharge, a whopping ten percent, would go to the state's Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, "to educate families on the warning signs of video game addiction and antisocial behavior."

The proposed law was not passed, but Hovey isn't giving up. In a recently-penned opinion piece posted on the Connecticut House Republicans website, she wrote that making it harder to buy guns and high-capacity magazines won't change the "endemic culture of violence" in the U.S., and said that mandating warning labels on M-rated games and applying extra taxes to them is the "obvious" way to protect society from violence.

"Countless studies, including a recent 2014 piece out of Iowa State University, have attributed the playing of violent video games with noticeable increases - in both frequency and severity - of aggressive behavior. This is true particularly among children and teens. According to that same study, more than 90% of video games rated E10+ or higher contain violent content, which is often justified and portrayed as 'fun'," she wrote. "Moreover, it is now common knowledge that Adam Lanza was known to play these violent video games for hours a day. If we can educate consumers about mature video games as violent behavior triggers, and put more resources into researching contributing factors of violent behavior, why wouldn't we?"

Hovey described her proposed measures as being similar to warning pregnant women about the dangers of alcohol, and said she was disheartened that the bill did not pass. She's now calling upon supporters to "spread the word about the harmful impact of violent video game play across Connecticut."

"The science is clear and overwhelming; the playing of violent video games by children and teens does lead to observable behavior changes. That same study from Iowa State University showed that 'habitual violent video game play increases long term aggressive behavior' and this increase occurs 'regardless of sex, age, initial aggressiveness, and parental involvement.' That means even children with no previous signs of violent tendencies were shown to have an increased incidence of such behavior after prolonged violent video game play," she wrote. "An additional 2004 study concluded that adolescents who play violent video games for extended periods of time are often more aggressive, more confrontational with teachers and adults, and more likely to engage in fights with peers. Violent video game play does not only impact the behavior of children with preexisting behavioral issues, but the behavior of all children."

It's not clear whether Hovey intends to pursue the issue through further legislation but her assertions aside, the science is demonstrably not "clear and overwhelming."In fact, the final report on the Sandy Hook mass murder found no connection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129971-Sandy-Hook-Final-Report-Finds-No-Link-With-Games] between the shooting and violent video games. We've reached out to Rep. Hovey for comment and will update if we receive a response.

Source: Connecticut House Republicans [http://cthousegop.com/2014/04/opinion-the-impact-of-violent-video-games-and-protecting-our-children/]

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Blatantly wrong and she clearly doesn't understand what "protected speech" means. She needs to track what the Supreme Court does a little better before pulling this BS out of her ass.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
There are warning labels on games Conneticut, it's called the ESRB rating. Of course I'm not surprised that people don't go by that, and it all can be chalked up to negligent parenting in a lot of cases. The ratings are visible on the front and back cover, with the back cover listing the reasons why it is rated what it's rated. Plus, GameStop and other stores force you to show a legal state ID when buying the games, heck in California they have finger print scanners in GameStops now, so if a child is still playing those games then it's the fault of negligent parenting.
But then again, no parent wants to hear how their little Sussie or Timmy did something, and so parents and politicians will blame it on something else instead of taking responsibility.

I will say I'm grateful for how my parents raised me when it ce to games. They actually followed the ratings on the boxes, and as a kid I wasn't allowed to play rated M games at my house unless they could turn off the gore (basically Mortal Kombat). They then watched to see when I was mature enough to play the games and let me play them at home. By that point I was 16, and turned 17 a few months later. Nowadays I'm 20, and while I do have some rated M games, I tend to play more E to T games than M games.

While Sandy Hook was a tragedy, the fact that they are still trying to blame scapegoats instead of actually fixing the problems shows that no one has learned anything really, which is quite sad.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
But don't you DARE touch her precious guns. They're protected by the only amendment that actually matters; the second!

And as many have pointed out, games DO have warning labels on them. That nice little "M" that idiots like her can't seem to see.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Connecticut State Representative DebraLee Hovey says "countless studies" have proven that violent video games provoke aggressive and violent behavior, particularly among children and teenagers.
Care to share any of these "countless studies"?

Andy Chalk said:
and said that mandating warning labels on M-rated games and applying extra taxes to them is the "obvious" way to protect society from violence.
But that's why we already have the ESRB. The M rating IS the warning label!

Andy Chalk said:
"Countless studies, including a recent 2014 piece out of Iowa State University, have attributed the playing of violent video games with noticeable increases - in both frequency and severity - of aggressive behavior. This is true particularly among children and teens. According to that same study, more than 90% of video games rated E10+ or higher contain violent content, which is often justified and portrayed as 'fun'," she wrote.
Yes, if only more kids played video games about...um...sharing?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Well, I think we can all agree that this woman is clearly a nut. But once again, I find it amusing that the article makes sure to include Hovey's party when if she was a democrat, it wouldn't dare be mentioned. Plus, if you look up info on her, she's a very liberal republican, thus the whole "tax the crap out of whatever I don't like, no matter what anybody says." It's the same thinking that's banning e-cigs in public places in the People's Republic of Illinois, despite the fact they have no harmful effects to other people.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Heaven forbid you raise taxes on guns. Or pass laws making them harder to get. Or offer programs to help kids who are in similar positions. Or anything else that would have a greater impact on preventing another shooting. You could do ten, no five, minutes of research to find out that there are warnings on video games, that most stores won't sell them to you if you're under eighteen, and then take that knowledge, throw together a commercial saying, "Parents, look at the rating on the games you want to buy for your kids," and that would have more impact than trying to raise taxes. Geez lady.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
But don't you DARE touch her precious guns. They're protected by the only amendment that actually matters; the second!
Reminds me of that one pic I've seen over the Internet. I can't post it here (I don't know how to post images, lol), but it said this:

If it is not the gun, but the gunman, then how is it the game, but not the gamer?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
it is now common knowledge that Adam Lanza was known to play these violent video games for hours a day
She's damned right. He also slept for HOURS every day. Clearly we should stop kids under 18 from sleeping and put a heavy tax on beds before they all turn in to psychopaths.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Old politician decries current boogeyman in an effort to accumulate votes from the stupid, ignorant and fearful. Spouts 'facts' that aren't, cries 'Won't somebody think of the children?!' and is full of shit.

Nothing new here then.

Pops16

Nov 4, 2012
These people are the worst - Politicians that don't even understand the laws they are supposed to uphold. Try reading the Constitution sometime. Here is a hint...start at the First Amendment. Content based discrimination is still an infringement on free speech.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Something interesting I learned in studying empirical research on various things for psychology.

Science hasn't "proven" that secondhand smoke causes cancer, it by definition cannot prove that despite "countless studies" showing there is a correlation, science cannot prove cigarette smoke causes cancer.

A scientific study that had its participants play video games and then observed the participants committing violence while a control group did not under perfect conditions could claim to support the theory, something this black and white doesn't prove that there is even a causal relationship between violent video games and actual violence.

Korastus

Dec 4, 2013
Just another right wing lunatic desperate to use the deaths of innocents to champion a personal cause. Facts, evidence, basic logic, these things mean nothing to this sort of person. Not surprising.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Scrumpmonkey said:
I'm just sick of this. Yes we can laugh and mock these cooks but this is the debate they are having instead of putting any kind of gun controls in place. Tighter gun control stops gun deaths. It IS that simple.
Every .12 seconds a (super) Meat Boy is impaled upon spikes. Won't you do your part to stop the violence?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I thought Republicans were all about FREEDOM.
I thought Republicans were all about LESS government.

It seems like these aye-holes want to make it harder to buy a video game than to buy a gun.

I'm not sure if they're sincere, or if they're part of some crazy ass gun cult that demands the blood, erm, taxes of not real guns.