Connecticut Lawmaker Calls For Taxes, Warning Labels On M-Rated Games

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
It's already M-rated why the fucking hell would we need ANOTHER WARNING, THAT'S THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE ESRB. These people need to stop trying to pass laws on shit they don't understand just to get into the popular opinion, jesus fucking christ.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Yet another politician that hates video games for ridiculous reasons. On the positive side, we will be seeing this less in the future. Something else will come up, and that new thing will be used as an escape goat. My money is on manga or VR.

Korastus said:
Just another right wing lunatic desperate to use the deaths of innocents to champion a personal cause. Facts, evidence, basic logic, these things mean nothing to this sort of person. Not surprising.
You do realize that Democrat Dianne Feinstein has said similar things on this matter? This is a common political escape-goat for BOTH parties.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Oh, come on. This was already struck down by the supreme court. Nothing like this can survive a challenge in even the lowest level courts in the country. This is just a waste of tax money.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm glad to know it didn't pass. That shows that more people are realizing that she's making a stupid argument. Also, video games are officially art according to the Supreme Court, and it's illegal to place taxes based on the content of art (though sometimes I wish that weren't true when it comes to contemporary).

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Hey lady!

Games don't kill people, people kill people.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a game is a good guy with a game.

We should get rid of game free zones because criminals and bad guys don't care where they use their games.

Do I make sense yet?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Holy shit.... Just when I think I get through a day without some bullshit, I see stuff like this. The sick part is this, it's gonna be like smoking if this ever happens. For the uninitiated, that means to love the sin and hate the sinner. They will punish people who do it while securing funds for programs they can't fund any other way. And eventually that tax will be relied on. It's an ugly thing and these people should be stopped.

But since taxation is not unconstitutional, we can only hope that the legislators are smarter than that.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
EVERYONE! ALL TOGETHER NOW:

Guns dont kill people videogames do,
Ask any politican and they'll tell you its true,
Its a fact games makes you violent,
Like Keith Vaz telling Parliament to be silent,
You don't believe me? Heres my hype,
Offer me the controller and i'll show you the type,
Of criminal this gamer shit is breedin,
Its a fact that Mario Kart left me bleedin,
Dragon Age made my mother say 'Fuck',
If I stuck with Candy Crush then I woulda been in luck,
But I didn't I got it wrong,
Silent fucking Hill told me to make a fucking bong,
So I started, I bought another Game,
The Sale from Steam made my clickin' finger ache,
So remember kids from the head Double Fine,
Guns don't kill people its Gamin' time!

Guns don't kill people gamers do
Sound of the police
Woo Woo Woo

In all seriousness all I can say is: So does sports, will you be taxing that too governor? Or is it one rule for one media and another for others?

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Ah, more hot air from someone who wants attention.

Folks, the studies exist. Stupid as it may sound, yes, there is a series of studies from the dear old folks at Iowa State University where they have studied kids for years and determined that there is a link between aggressive thought and video games.

Think about that for one moment. Aggressive thought. Not action, not behaviour, not even speech. Thought.

The folks who don't like gaming have gotten so desperate to pin some kind of blame on our hobby that they've gotten this vague, this esoteric, with their accusations.

Want to know a few other things that exist that cause aggressive thought? Talk radio, broadcast news, team sporting events, Black Friday, political debates and rallies...you get the idea. Funny thing, this lady doesn't seem in a hurry to add a "save the children" tax to these sources of aggression.

Human beings get aggressive thoughts. We get 'em all the time. The thing is, most of the time, we don't consider an aggressive thought as a valid reason to haul off and belt someone because violent behaviour ends in jail sentences and incredibly large amounts of unpleasantness. Aggressive thought doesn't always cause or equate to aggressive action because people are still able to, most of the time, use a bit of rationality and say, "Gee, I really don't want to wind up in a cell with a big hairy guy named Guido. I think I won't punch this moron who just flipped me off."

Ms. Hovey, trying to tax video games is not going to help you further your pet projects. Sorry. You'll have to find your money elsewhere. May I suggest professional wrestling tickets? Those have lots of public figures who will be happy to express their aggressive thoughts for you and tell you exactly where you can stick your fundraising aspirations.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
MCerberus said:
Every .12 seconds a (super) Meat Boy is impaled upon spikes. Won't you do your part to stop the violence?
Ironically, if Meat Boy had had a gun, he could have used Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground to defend his girlfriend and there would be no game.

Guns-1
Games-0.
Under Stand Your Ground, the antagonist could have just said he felt threatened and shot Meat Boy long ago and gotten away with it. The game was solved years before it would have taken place!

Guns-2
Games-0

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Because a giant M prominently displayed on the box is not a warning sign. No we need to wrap that shit up in skull tape with the warning label "Might make the little shit of a child you are buying this for into a serial killer."

Because it's always good to react with mass hysteria to something new you don't understand right Rock and Roll, Elvis, Black people in restaurants who aren't just servants, comic book code authority, belly button TV censorship, no god on the radio people?

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
*bangs head against desk a few times before giving up* Why does my home state suck so much?! Please, Connecticut, don't ruin M-rated games. I may not be a console gamer anymore, but it's the principle of the matter.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MCerberus said:
Under Stand Your Ground, the antagonist could have just said he felt threatened and shot Meat Boy long ago and gotten away with it. The game was solved years before it would have taken place!

Guns-2
Games-0
And he wouldn't even need to prove it, because he's a fetus and therefore untouchable. Mwahahahahaha!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Callate said:
I'm beginning to wish we could just have a form response: Chill out (Mom/Dad), you grew up during (the height of drug culture/the rock-and-roll is corrupting our youth phase/the heyday of exploitation cinema/the heyday of slasher cinema/(fill in the blank)), and you managed not to kill anyone; can you recognize that today's youth isn't any more susceptible to that wacky, dangerous beast that is modern pop culture than you were?
Were getting to the point where today's parent is yesterday's gamer. And possibly still a gamer, since the median age is somewhere around mine.

Saltyk said:
Living in fear of another Sandy Hook or Columbine is exactly what gives these people power.
It's also weird that it's mostly from the party that spent almost a decade getting their way by ending every sentence with or the terrorists win."

Mind you, this is from an antigun group who I already showed was misleading you on the deaths.
Why, does it being suicide undo the death or something? Those statistics are not inaccurate or misleading unless they added context you removed. In which case you're being misleading yourself to try and lead into "it's probably more" and "I've heard it was a million."

Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
There are already warning labels.
these labels are from the ESRB and M is one of their already existing warning labels. This law is a redundant and a waste of time.

One day people will stop trying to make video games their scapegoat but toady sure as hell is not that day.
You're misrepresenting the reason she wants a warning label. She wants something like a cigarette pack warning, which games do not have.

Is it stupid? Yeah. But there's no need to misrepresent it.

Racecarlock said:
Hey lady!

Games don't kill people, people kill people.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a game is a good guy with a game.

We should get rid of game free zones because criminals and bad guys don't care where they use their games.

Do I make sense yet?
If you outlaw games, only outlaws will have games.

Mezahmay said:
*bangs head against desk a few times before giving up* Why does my home state suck so much?! Please, Connecticut, don't ruin M-rated games. I may not be a console gamer anymore, but it's the principle of the matter.
I don't know what the console part of this has to do with anything. If you're a gamer, this law will impact you (provided you are playing "mature" titles). Hell, more and more download services charge applicable taxes.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
I don't know what the console part of this has to do with anything. If you're a gamer, this law will impact you (provided you are playing "mature" titles). Hell, more and more download services charge applicable taxes.
My point was that as far as I know a single state cannot impose a tax through digital distribution services. If the service wants to charge extra, then by all means they're allowed to regardless of how consumers feel about it. I may be wrong. I really hope I'm not wrong. Even though consoles are beginning to distribute their games digitally I'd imagine they're still sold primarily through retail stores, which the state can absolutely place taxes on. I haven't purchased a physical game since I started PC gaming, so I don't consider the tax an issue for me personally.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Well Miss Hovey, there is something called PARENTING to keep such games out of reach of those who shouldn't be playing them, and what is wrong with the ESRB ratings? Are you really that thick headed to learn that is the reasoning for the rating system?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Glaice said:
Well Miss Hovey, there is something called PARENTING to keep such games out of reach of those who shouldn't be playing them, and what is wrong with the ESRB ratings?
The ESRB doesn't say games lead to antisocial behaviour and/or baby killing or whatever she's claiming the results are.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
does this dumb ***** not realize that we've already done a thousand fucking studies on video games that have proven they don't cause violence or this is just so that she can have more fucking money, I am seriously getting too tired and too old of this Bullshit!! Seriously American Gamers or just Gamers in Connecticut, Sort out this Bullshit already

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Wasn't there a study that showed that violent video games actually reduce emotional control? Like, people who were already aggressive would be more aggressive? I recall seeing it, but I cannot recall where...