Consoles Are a "Massive Barrier" for Crysis 3 Development

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Hey. Hey! Crytek. Crytek? Listen...listen...you listening? Listen....

...Gears of War 2. Gears of War 3. Red Dead Redemption. Every damned Smackdown VS Raw game. Sports games. US Football games...

Yeah. Crytek? Still listening? Don't bother with'em. Come back to the PC. Like Sean Connery said at the end of the Last Crusade, "let it gooooo..."

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I don't care how it looks... is it FUN?!

I appreciate a good-looking game as much as the next person, but I'd rather play a game with subpar graphics and loads of great gameplay than a game whose entire focus was on the newest shaders and hi-poly models and gameplay was given the attention span of a coffee break.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.59258-Crytek-Moving-to-Consoles#452387

4 Years later and that moves not looking too good now is it?

Also they were complaining about this 2 years ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.247185-Crytek-PCs-Are-a-Generation-Ahead-of-Consoles#9073350
Good to see they were pro-active and sorted that problem out before it became, I dunno, a massive barrier for development?

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Abandoned a PC-only title, now you'll pay for it.

Crysis 2 (multiplatform) sold fewer copies than Crysis (PC only)

And what, I'm meant to care about your difficulties trying to get hardware that has less than a gig of ram (PS3) or hardware that melts itself (X360) to run Crysis 3?

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
bafrali said:
I guess it is high time to say "CRY me a river".
I already did, you're late to the party! ;)

Hero in a half shell said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.59258-Crytek-Moving-to-Consoles#452387

4 Years later and that moves not looking too good now is it?
Reading that is quite amusing, especially with hindsight. They even brought the original Crysis to consoles. :))

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
wrightguy0 said:
doesn't crysis make even medium range PCs weep tears of unholy blood as it's majesty is not meant to be played on anything but the most angelic top of the range builds?
It was like that at max settings (not so much anymore, where even a lowly 550Ti can max it out with a playable frame rate), but the game was very scalable. I ran that shit on a Pentium 4 and a graphics card that I can't remember the name of, but couldn't run Bioshock.

Still, if you didn't want it to look like ass you needed God's computer.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
The profits to be gained from catering to consoles apparently still out-weigh the effort/time required to break an engine and re-assemble it so it works on a toaster.

Oh well, I don't really care.

It better be flawless on PC's and not contain a single "leftover" from consoles.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
bafrali said:
el_kabong said:
A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools.
Umm he isn't. Tools would be the cry engine. He is complaining about the house that he is supposed to work within.

OT: You wanted console money, you gotta work for it. Deal with it
You took the words right out of my mouth. In both instances.

I swear, you do that quite often Bafrali. Stop it!

Anyway, yeah. If they want the console monies, then they have to play by the playground rules of the consoles.

Still, the man has a valid point. The consoles are undeniably holding back game development (advancement) on almost all fronts.

Covarr said:
Encaen said:
The frontrunner here was, as you may have guessed, the nearly eight-year-old console hardware
The oldest of the generation, the XBOX 360, was released on November 22, 2005. Just two days shy of seven years old. I'm not sure it's fair to describe it as a "nearly eight-year-old", considering that in this industry a year can make a lot of difference.

P.S. Thanks
To be fair, I believe what the author meant was that the hardware is roughly eight years old. The consoles, like in your example, may have come out in 2005, but the hardware they utilize was barely top-of-the-line a year earlier.

So really, it's not too much of a stretch to call them eight years old.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh great, an chance for everyone to say how much consoles suck. This is gonna suck, I can tell.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
el_kabong said:
Making a game like Crysis for consoles is like asking that carpenter to make a house with hack saw and a brick. You'll get your house, but it isn't gonna be pretty.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I thought that Crysis 2 was boring as hell. They should have kept the series exclusive to PC. Not because I'm a PC elitist. I believe that all gamers should be able to experience all games. But when we're talking about a game like Crysis that just doesn't apply. Crysis 2 lost almost everything that made the original so freakin' amazing because they had to dumb it down for consoles considerably. Not just graphically. That doesn't matter. They dumbed down gameplay A LOT. And they had to adjust the story so that console gamers can get right into it. So we never got to see what happened on that island at the end of Crysis. Instead they made a comic book? They took a giant crap on something that could have been an amazing trilogy.

Original Crysis sold more on PC than Crysis 2 on all three systems. And Crysis was released in 2007 when everyone thought that PC gaming was dying because of how popular consoles have become. People at Crytek only have themselves to blame. For being greedy.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
erttheking said:
Oh great, an chance for everyone to say how much consoles suck. This is gonna suck, I can tell.
Strange, I entered this thread thinking the exact same thing...

So far, I'd say I'm about right, at least in regards to some of the posts.

On topic, I don't see why they shouldn't hold it 'til next-gen consoles come 'round. I mean really, some things can wait.

As for those who think Crysis 2 sucked: I played it, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Was it the product of God fucking a giant tiger on the back of flying, fire-spewing dragon to the sounds of Def Leppard through space? Quite frankly, no. It wasn't. But it was fun, it was solid, the multiplayer wasn't half-bad, and it was a good buy for me.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Well, you wanted the console money, gotta deal with the limitations.

Ah, this thread is already turning into the weekly asinine "PC vs. Console" yelling match, nice.

Guys: You won't win, each side will leave the argument feeling exactly the same, albeit frustrated from a useless debate.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
erttheking said:

That would roughly be the entire point of the article.

Crytek can't get their engine running on the hardware equivalent of bronze age technology.

Aaron Sylvester said:
It better be flawless on PC's and not contain a single "leftover" from consoles.
Glass-Completely-Full type person, are we?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yeah well... Crysis 3 is a 'Massive Barrier' for the development of Timesplitters 4, so what else is new?

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
To be honest this is the last shooter that deals with pc's first and consoles second bar maybe Battlefeild, sure they're going to suffer with the dead end of a console age, its the problem they face being the cutting edge games maker they are compared to GTA5 which isn't about cutting edge graphics.
Hopefully we get to say good job on them staying focused on maknig a jaw dropping game on a less than jaw droppnig console.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
If i have to play something, i prefer consoles...but Crysis, oh why the hell did they had to bring that to consoles? Crysis 2 was a step way back, also it was boring...i dont even like FPS games but they had my respect for making the first game. But thats all lost since then.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
el_kabong said:
It's true, they are supposed to pick the best tools for the job.

Crysis 3 should be PC exclusive. It's most recognized feature is the jaw-smashing graphics, so it doesn't make sense that they'd use current consoles.