Consoles Are a "Massive Barrier" for Crysis 3 Development

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
wrightguy0 said:
doesn't crysis make even medium range PCs weep tears of unholy blood as it's majesty is not meant to be played on anything but the most angelic top of the range builds?

a game company who makes their game too complex for most PCs to run and then bitches out the low man on the totem pole for not living up to their standards is kind of a dick company.
Uhh, no, not really.

Back in the day the highest settings [Read: Consoles often run at lower than medium, and at sub HD resolution] would cause mid range PCs to struggle, and high end to angelic PCs to have a couple of stutters whilst still managing it.
These days, a number of years down the track, even a lower end mid range PC can max it out with a single GPU, and for the mid mid and upper mid ranges its a better experience than the angelic PCs of that day, whilst the top end and angelic PCs of today just laugh in its face.

Of course, this does all depend on what you consider mid range and such, which is IMO a sightly broad term, but really, Crysis was never hard to just run - only to max out - and now even that is a cakewalk, except for consoles like the Xbox which had to have it cut down below even lowest settings if the screenshots are anything to go by.

OT: And people say consoles don't hold anything back, and that its graphics costing too much money is the real culprit.
Whilst the latter part is still partially true, a large part of the reason they cost so much is just this: Getting them to work on consoles. How much money do you think would have been spent tearing apart and rebuilding the engine?
A lot, put simply. Old hardware, and rising standards thanks to newer available hardware, are what is driving costs up. Whilst you could argue that companies could focus less on graphics, this doesn't just effect graphics, and really why should we abandon good looking games simply because 7 year old tech struggles to run them?
This is why we need a new console generation; so things can improve - not just graphics.

Now, I'm not saying consoles don't have their place, but its as an affordable and low powered PC, not something you should try to force to run high tech stuff, nor something that you should hang onto for 7 years refusing to upgrade.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
erttheking said:
Oh great, an chance for everyone to say how much consoles suck. This is gonna suck, I can tell.
It's not a question of consoles sucking as a whole, it's a question of console hardware being really damn old.

Which they are.

Very much so.

My statement that Crysis 3 should be PC exclusive has nothing to do with animosity towards consoles, as I don't have any. It's because it's the right thing for Crysis, the graphical flagship.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Don't really care, wasn't planning on getting it anyway. My understanding is that the Crysis series is known not for its qualities as a game, but on the fact that it has been benchmarks for graphical power.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
Welp, Crytek, that's your own doing. The sad reality is that even if the game came out for next gen consoles with far fewer restrictions, the game would in all likelihood still be the sluggish, neutered mess that 2 was.

wrightguy0 said:
doesn't crysis make even medium range PCs weep tears of unholy blood as it's majesty is not meant to be played on anything but the most angelic top of the range builds?
No, it never did. And your grandma's laptop is anything but a medium range PC.
el_kabong said:
A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools.
Good thing we aren't talking about carpenting, then.

erttheking said:
Oh great, an chance for everyone to say how much consoles suck. This is gonna suck, I can tell.
The console hardware sucks. I really hope you're not taking it personally.
No, I'm just a little tired of elitism. See my "do gamers have a bit of an ego" thread for more.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Meaning of Karma said:
erttheking said:
Console hardware sucks all the dicks.

I'm not going to say otherwise just because it might bruise your ego.
Bruise my ego? I'm just tired of not being able to click on a single PC/Console thread on this bloody website without getting ten different posts dedicated to how much cock consoles suck, I'm not going to apologize for being sick of it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Meaning of Karma said:
erttheking said:
Meaning of Karma said:
erttheking said:
Console hardware sucks all the dicks.

I'm not going to say otherwise just because it might bruise your ego.
Bruise my ego? I'm just tired of not being able to click on a single PC/Console thread on this bloody website without getting ten different posts dedicated to how much cock consoles suck, I'm not going to apologize for being sick of it.
Well then, why, exactly, are you so sick of people telling the truth?
No, I'm sick of PC elitists going on and on about how superior their gaming platform is to everything else. If you prefer the PC than fine, but for pete's sake every time individual game platforms are discussed we can never seem to avoid this and I'm freaking tired of it,

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Sheesh, if it was that much trouble, why not make this PC exclusive? The first one was and I'm just now playing it on my Xbox. The newer consoles are around the corner, save time and effort for those.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
No, I'm just a little tired of elitism. See my "do gamers have a bit of an ego" thread for more.
Oh, it's you!

When people talk about elitism as their hardware is being shit on, I have quite the feeling they're taking it personally. Nobody's acting like they're better than you for preferring PC, but the fact that the console hardware sucks and is a massive (con)strain on developers is just that - a fact, and people aren't too happy with consoles being the target of the vast majority of AAA games still.

Well, I'm tired of most games being shoved on consoles. It has nothing to do with you, or my ego.
Not a great way to start.

I wouldn't mind but people just go on and on and on and ON about it. You can never bring up the type of platform on this website without anyone ever going on how awesome PCs are and how consoles are crap in just about every field. It's like how most people react to Skyrim, ME3 ending and MLP threads, I'm just sick of them.

So what, are you saying everything should be shoved onto PC? (points to avatar) because I think we remember that always doesn't work that well either. Also, most games being shoved onto consoles? Unless this chart is lying, PCs still have the most exclusives. http://i.imgur.com/iTZtG.jpg If that's your problem with all due respect I think you're being over dramatic.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
kburns10 said:
Sheesh, if it was that much trouble, why not make this PC exclusive? The first one was and I'm just now playing it on my Xbox. The newer consoles are around the corner, save time and effort for those.
It has to do with maximizing profit. And the next-gen Xbox/PS4 is still just speculation at this point.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I didn't think I was a PC elitist. Then I saw this article and had to resist the urge to scream "VINDICATION!" at the top of my lungs.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I remember a time when being able to run Crysis on high was considered a mark of pride.

Now the Crysis series is considered another 'generic' shooter.

Crytek, just make make the bloody thing PC exclusive and wait for the next gen. Not only will you wow the consumer and generate interest in the Xbox 720 but you will also once again have a major unique selling point beyond the setting.

And in this age of COD and Battlefield sequels anything that makes you stand out from the herd is a good thing (just ask MOH: Warfighter why).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
Oh, it's you!

When people talk about elitism as their hardware is being shit on, I have quite the feeling they're taking it personally. Nobody's acting like they're better than you for preferring PC, but the fact that the console hardware sucks and is a massive (con)strain on developers is just that - a fact, and people aren't too happy with consoles being the target of the vast majority of AAA games still.

Well, I'm tired of most games being shoved on consoles. It has nothing to do with you, or my ego.
Not a great way to start.

I wouldn't mind but people just go on and on and on and ON about it. You can never bring up the type of platform on this website without anyone ever going on how awesome PCs are and how consoles are crap in just about every field. It's like how most people react to Skyrim, ME3 ending and MLP threads, I'm just sick of them.

So what, are you saying everything should be shoved onto PC? (points to avatar) because I think we remember that always doesn't work that well either. Also, most games being shoved onto consoles? Unless this chart is lying, PCs still have the most exclusives. http://i.imgur.com/iTZtG.jpg If that's your problem with all due respect I think you're being over dramatic.
Why? I simply didn't notice it was you because of the change in avatar.

The reason people go on and on about is because nothing's changed. And the more time passes, the more frustrating it is to see nothing change. And actually, you can easily do that. You just:
A) Don't instantly start complaining about PC elitism without being able to clearly define it or establish its existence;
B) Don't pretend like consoles are, as some people think, the best we'll ever need or even get;
C) Don't propagate insane stereotypes and massive misconceptions.
I'm pretty sure you'd be just fine. I certainly don't have a problem with the actual people playing on consoles, and I'm pretty certain that's the case with most others.

The consoles are crap, and it sounds to me like you simply want to ignore it. Welp, sorry, you're on a gaming forum. Things get talked about here, and it just so happens that consoles suck hard enough for there not to be much room for actual discussion.

Nope. Dark Souls is a curious reference, namely because it's a port the devs did not give a shit about. Seriously hope you're not saying a shitty-ass port proves something about PCs not being a viable platform.

The chart isn't lying per se, but it's disingenuous as all hell to imply the focus of all the big publishers and developers isn't set dead on the consoles. Which is what I would think is relevant when we're talking Crytek. I utter the term AAA only several words before "most games", it's not that hard to make that connection.
Ah, ok.

I'm sorry but with all of this chatter going on and on about how consoles are so inferior with hyperbole about it being bronze age tech being thrown around, it comes off as elitism for me.

Hate to break it to you, but a console IS all I'll ever need. I'm very content without a PC. I never said that they are the best, but I'm getting a little tired of being criticized for settling for less than perfection.

The funny thing about stereotypes is that they exist for a reason, because sometimes they're true. Like I said one person on this thread compared consoles to bronze age tech...if that's not elitism I don't know what is.

So are you saying that developers care about ports like Crysis 2? Because if they did I don't see what the problem is, and if they didn't then really it goes both ways and it's not really just PC games that are getting ruined, that's what I was trying to say.

I think it's safe to say that PC gaming has quite a few big exclusives with things like Starcraft, Torchlight Total War, and a few of the things Valve churned out, besides it's not like PC gaming completely gets the shaft. From what I understand of the games industry a lot of these games, like Bethesda games, get developed for consoles and then ported to the PC. If you had it really bad, you never would've gotten those ports, and really what's so bad about cross platform games?

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
ResonanceSD said:
Glass-Completely-Full type person, are we?
He did say they had to completely take apart and re-assemble the engine. This is different to what was done with Crysis 2, i.e. development was based on consoles and THEN it was ported to PC's in DX9, later offering higher-resolution textures and DX11 layered on top of everything.

This time we have a game built on DX11 from ground-up, NOT a DX9 port. I can confirm this because I played C3 Alpha and without a DX11 card (and OS) the game wouldn't even install.

If you want to see my glass-completely-empty side then lets get into Multiplayer/Community discussion. I dunno if you are familiar with C2 multiplayer, but let me sum it up:
1) Anti cheat support from Crytek = non-existent, basically hacker haven on public servers. Hackers can also troll in the OFFICIAL forums (MyCrysis.com) all day long without consequence, nobody's there to stop them.
2) ~150 critical game-breaking bugs left un-fixed forever - Patch 1.9 was officially the last Crysis 2 patch, this was in July 2011 when Crytek confirmed there would be no more patches/fixes. They weren't kidding.
3) ZERO communication with the community since July 2011. There is ONE administrator on MyCrysis forums who checks once a week to throw out a thread lock or something, ignoring the hacker spam.
4) Terrible server tools/support for admins, made it borderline impossible to know what was happening on your own server that you owned.

The situation got so desperate that the community formed the |C3CG| clan (Crysis 3 Community Group) aimed at taking server administration and multiplayer into their own hands from the very beginning in Crysis 3 so Crytek can't fuck it up all over again.

To us multiplayer junkies Crysis 3 is nothing more than an attempt to fix all the fuck-ups Crytek made with Crysis 2 (though I don't know if you can label "ignore community forever" as a fuck-up). But I seriously doubt that 6 months down the road we'll ever hear from Crytek again in the Community, not until they announce Crysis 4 or something.