Controversial Tropes vs. Women in Video Games Series Comes to an End

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I watched one of her videos, found that she did about the most shallow analysis possible, and then didn't bother watching any more. They weren't good videos. She would have stopped a lot earlier if people didn't give her so much attention. The people who hated her the most probably gave her the most power since they ended up inevitably drawing out a lot of people to come see what the fuss was about and then defend her.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I'm glad this is finally over. I'm tired of this new trend where every game protagonist is a woman and it's all about women. Now that this series is done, things will go back to normal. I miss manly games where I do manly things. I miss the straight white guy protagonists.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Kinitawowi said:
And nothing of value was lost.
This.

Oh, I still remember that one where she tried to link some game scenarios to domestic violence.

Good times.

Feb 7, 2016
IceForce said:
Pretty hilarious seeing all the celebratory comments regarding this series coming to an end.

One would be forgiven for thinking that these people were celebrating the end of some yearning pestilence or Lovecraftian-esque all-consuming shadow that has loomed large over their lives and completely dominated their thoughts and actions for the last 5 years, ...when in reality it was nothing more than a fairly vapid and mediocre youtube series that very few people really cared about and which has had no real impact or effect on anything.
I mean, yeah. I'm glad to see it end. And your last statement is the exact reason why. It was a vapid and medicore series that got bursts of unwarranted support and money all for her to do...nothing. Certainly minimal amounts of what she claimed she would do. I'm happy to see it end because then she can stop popping up on gaming sites and bolstering her popularity temporarily.

You could argue she might have stirred a trend in people taking interest in the topic, but not likely her "perspective" on it.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
IceForce said:
Pretty hilarious seeing all the celebratory comments regarding this series coming to an end.

One would be forgiven for thinking that these people were celebrating the end of some yearning pestilence or Lovecraftian-esque all-consuming shadow that has loomed large over their lives and completely dominated their thoughts and actions for the last 5 years, ...when in reality it was nothing more than a fairly vapid and mediocre youtube series that very few people really cared about and which has had no real impact or effect on anything.
Yep no fire lighted that burned the upper management of the site.
UN talks, rise of minor cottage industry/fad, and certainly no charges or federal cases opened.
We're just over sensitive douchebags with no perspective who deserve to have only toe scorn of women for viewing them as prizes. For that isn't what people do as a whole
objectify people or use social relationships or romantic ones as marks of development, pride or accomplishments.
So immature. ITs uniquely us.

And she certainly didn't become a minor reoccuring established force by way of her fame management.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Pretty much this. In fact, I thought that it had already ended after Poe put this comic up. (Comic from Does Not Play Well with Others)

Feb 26, 2014
Ah, Anita. I remember her talking about Batman's cape managing to cover his butt from the player with it's butt covering powers, as designed by Rocksteady. (A butt that I've managed to see plenty after playing Arkham Knight 3 times. And I'm sure I'll see more during my fourth.) About how male asses are intentionally covered or hidden in some way, because it isn't appealing to the male gamers. She apparently didn't try very hard, or never even managed to play as Nightwing, who has a better ass than Batman anyway. (See my Avatar) And then there's this gem.

The point is, it doesn't seem like Anita ever really tried. She has a valid point, but her examples are piss poor. I do agree with her though. More capable female characters (And more capable A.I. companions period) would be great. And I'd personally love to see more vulnerable male characters. This actually reminds me of the time in Skyrim when Farkas, a werewolf who helped me kill a dragon, refused to proceed through a dungeon because of his fear of spiders. Definitely one of my favorite moments in the game.

[hr]

Never played Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us, so I can't comment on the inclusion of Elizabeth or Ellie in the video, but it seems the users on The Mary Sue are a are a bit peeved by the inclusion of the two characters. Hell, the way The Last of Us is described by one of the comments sounds exactly like what Anita wants by the end of the video.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
All I hear is double standard. This whole "this thing is only bad when men do it because it mirrors society" is illogical. Either this thing is bad or it isn't, who does it to whom isn't relevant.

Also, how the hell is having a huge feather beast dog mauling anyone who'd harm you not a power fantasy? Has she never walked a large dog? You feel pretty damn powerful when you are in control of animals, even if they don't listen to every word you say.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
WeepingAngels said:
So many gamers were so willing to throw every other male gamer under the bus that the voices of opposition were treated as the troublemakers when they weren't the ones who picked the damn fight in the first place and were indeed, on the defense.

Even in this thread, some posters feel the need to qualify their dislike of Anita by hating on other gamers. Keyboard warriors and childish neckbeards (gender specific) come to mind. Who knew gamers were so chivalrous, well I am sure Anita knew.
I found that hated her tried to prove her wrong so much that they were actually proving her right (I think I only saw the first one so this may be an exaggeration.) Both sides were too busy insulting each other rather than actually discussing anything. But then that epitomises the GG/anti-GG movements.

I wouldn't say they're qualifying their dislike of Anita, they just realise that keyboard warriors are just as bad as she is.

PS. if you think the first sentence is some sort of defence of Anita, its not. Its more a comment about her haters. Generally apathy is the best she can get from me. I don't care enough about her to hate her - you can only hate something if you actually care about it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dreiko said:
All I hear is double standard. This whole "this thing is only bad when men do it because it mirrors society" is illogical. Either this thing is bad or it isn't, who does it to whom isn't relevant.

Also, how the hell is having a huge feather beast dog mauling anyone who'd harm you not a power fantasy? Has she never walked a large dog? You feel pretty damn powerful when you are in control of animals, even if they don't listen to every word you say.
Or the fact that some of the issue only negatively affected women, and didn't affect men, because it is more prevalent amongst women. If its bad for one group, its bad for all. Eg, kust because domestic violence happens to more women, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to abolish all domestic violence.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've never got the hatred for Sarkeesian. If she says things that you disagree with, presenting arguments that you find disingenuous...well, that's fine. But how does that equate to the vitriol and harassment she's experienced? With all the claims of "social justice warriors" "ruining gaming," it seems that the actual snowflakes are the ones who fight against the 'evils' of 'social justice.' Yep. Can't have a feminist commenting on gaming, otherwise it'll be ruined.

I mean, looking at this video, I do disagree with her arguments and conclusions, but so what? I disagree with someone - I disagree with someone every time I come to the Escapist. Doesn't mean I'm about to go on a tirade against them.

But on a related note, I haven't played Infinite, but if Elizabeth can open tears through worlds, why doesn't she just dimension hop to Paris and stay there or something?

Feb 26, 2014
Dreiko said:
Yeah, I was thinking that too. If I had a pet giant anything crushing my foes in my defense or at my command, I'd feel pretty damn powerful. Oh, Scalebound, how I wish you saw the light of day.

Hawki said:
I've never got the hatred for Sarkeesian. If she says things that you disagree with, presenting arguments that you find disingenuous...well, that's fine. But how does that equate to the vitriol and harassment she's experienced? With all the claims of "social justice warriors" "ruining gaming," it seems that the actual snowflakes are the ones who fight against the 'evils' of 'social justice.' Yep. Can't have a feminist commenting on gaming, otherwise it'll be ruined.

I mean, looking at this video, I do disagree with her arguments and conclusions, but so what? I disagree with someone - I disagree with someone every time I come to the Escapist. Doesn't mean I'm about to go on a tirade against them.
She's threatening to get rid of the T&A and that must be defended at all costs. At. All. Costs. Honestly, there seem to be a lot of people who simply can't handle an opposing opinion of any kind. Mom and Dad either disagreed too much or didn't disagree enough. Either way, they wind up with the emotional maturity of a five year old. But this is the same community that sends death threats to reviewers for not liking a thing, nothing short of a hive-mind will make these sociopaths happy.

But on a related note, I haven't played Infinite, but if Elizabeth can open tears through worlds, why doesn't she just dimension hop to Paris and stay there or something?
Reading through the comments on the Mary Sue suggests that Elizabeth has her reasons.
"She was capable of ending her imprisonment at anytime and and was the one keeping Booker alive. She pretended to need him long enough to convince him to cooperate with her killing him."

"The reason Booker is the player avatar is that the game ends with Elizabeth killing Booker. The whole plot is Elizabeth showing Booker why he should have died years ago and convincing him to go along with it."
Don't know how accurate they are, though.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
trunkage said:
WeepingAngels said:
So many gamers were so willing to throw every other male gamer under the bus that the voices of opposition were treated as the troublemakers when they weren't the ones who picked the damn fight in the first place and were indeed, on the defense.

Even in this thread, some posters feel the need to qualify their dislike of Anita by hating on other gamers. Keyboard warriors and childish neckbeards (gender specific) come to mind. Who knew gamers were so chivalrous, well I am sure Anita knew.
I found that hated her tried to prove her wrong so much that they were actually proving her right (I think I only saw the first one so this may be an exaggeration.) Both sides were too busy insulting each other rather than actually discussing anything. But then that epitomises the GG/anti-GG movements.

I wouldn't say they're qualifying their dislike of Anita, they just realise that keyboard warriors are just as bad as she is.

PS. if you think the first sentence is some sort of defence of Anita, its not. Its more a comment about her haters. Generally apathy is the best she can get from me. I don't care enough about her to hate her - you can only hate something if you actually care about it.
Her shit has been debunked over and over again, most if it is completely calm and rational too. Just go to YouTube and type in 'tropes vs women debunked' and pick a video or 5 to watch. Proved her right?? Holy shit that's funny. BTW, you too tend to judge actual gamers who stood up to her (you call them haters) harsher than you do her.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
WeepingAngels said:
Anita went looking for trouble, found it by attacking gamers and it's the gamers who are the assholes?
Considering she got treated worse than this guy...

..yea, I didn't buy into this line that she was somehow the anti-christ of gaming. She's just another hack to me.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm not sure why, but I feel like I want to say "Thanks Anita for getting trump elected," Not for nothing but I kind of feel like it's her fault.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Smithnikov said:
WeepingAngels said:
Anita went looking for trouble, found it by attacking gamers and it's the gamers who are the assholes?
Considering she got treated worse than this guy...

..yea, I didn't buy into this line that she was somehow the anti-christ of gaming. She's just another hack to me.
She picked a fight and some gamers called her out, most of which were calm and rational. As you can see though, more gamers than not are being chivalrous and throwing other gamers under the bus to protect her. The gaming press turned against gamers too (they only shot themselves in the foot). It was even speculated that she faked some of the threats against her to rally support (and her donations). How the fuck can anyone still be defending her?

I don't know who Micheal Savage is but he must be someone you disapprove of and want to see him get some Social Justice, fired and shamed perhaps? That's how it works right? You know, I think all that shit destroyed this forum and it will never recover.

Well whatever, I can see that you guys are still in the self loathing mode so I don't care to go on with this.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
WeepingAngels said:
The gaming press turned against gamers too (they only shot themselves in the foot). It was even speculated that she faked some of the threats against her to rally support (and her donations). How the fuck can anyone still be defending her?
Someone didn't read what I said. I said she's just another hack. That's not a compliment.

I don't know who Micheal Savage is but he must be someone you disapprove of and want to see him get some Social Justice, fired and shamed perhaps?
Yes, but not for that particular statement. I want him fired and shamed for threatening public officials with violence. I want him fired and shamed for trying to convince the public that autism is curable by, and I quote, "smacking and telling the kid to quit acting like a little idiot"

Also, how would we change to meet your standards? What do you require of us? And how does what I said constitute "self loathing"?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Smithnikov said:
WeepingAngels said:
The gaming press turned against gamers too (they only shot themselves in the foot). It was even speculated that she faked some of the threats against her to rally support (and her donations). How the fuck can anyone still be defending her?
Someone didn't read what I said. I said she's just another hack. That's not a compliment.

I don't know who Micheal Savage is but he must be someone you disapprove of and want to see him get some Social Justice, fired and shamed perhaps?
Yes, but not for that particular statement. I want him fired and shamed for threatening public officials with violence. I want him fired and shamed for trying to convince the public that autism is curable by, and I quote, "smacking and telling the kid to quit acting like a little idiot"

Also, how would we change to meet your standards? What do you require of us? And how does what I said constitute "self loathing"?
Gamers hating gamers, that is self loathing. Calling each other misogynists. Anita was a poison knife, she was the damsel in distress and too many gamers and journalists turned on each other to protect her sorry ass, she came looking for a fight and found one. You are downplaying her negative influence but I guess I should give you credit for not going as far as some and calling us childish neckbeards or keyboard warriors for daring to question her highness.

I had hoped in time that people would regain their sanity but this thread is proof that they just want to cling to the self loathing chivalrous attitudes that were so prevalent when all of this was current. Perhaps more time is needed.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Smithnikov said:
WeepingAngels said:
Gamers hating gamers, that is self loathing.
That cuts both ways, you realize?

Calling each other misogynists.
Is the side that calls me a cuck/SJW any better?

Anita was a poison knife, she was the damsel in distress and too many gamers and journalists turned on each other to protect her sorry ass, she came looking for a fight and found one. You are downplaying her negative influence but I guess I should give you credit for not going as far as some and calling us childish neckbeards or keyboard warriors for daring to question her highness.
I don't know you, sir, so please take this as the assumption it is, but when it comes to most of gamers and gamer culture, I've been part of this since before you were in diapers. Most of the self appointed Gatekeepers who call me an anti gaming SJW weren't even sperm when I got shit for exchanging move lists for Mortal Kombat back in the 90's. Where the fuck were you when we had teachers and pastors telling us Night Trap was a rape and murder game? Did you have your school actually LOOKING for video game paraphenalia to confiscate, and I ain't talking game boys or Tiger portable games, I'm saying notebooks with drawings of Sub Zero or Ryu and Ken on them. Did you have to go to the principal's office for having dice and D&D materials in your backpack?

Me turn on gaming. If you think I did that, FUCK YOU. If anything, gamers turned on ME for not having the right politics and considering some goldbricking broad the Harbringer of The End.

I was there when gaming had to take on the fucking US Congress, so surprise surprise, I'm not too scared of some Youtube layabout.
You may believe that she didn't do any damage but you would be blind. Don't assume my age, when the Mortal Kombat thing was going on, I was an adult and had been out of school for a few years. I will respond no more.

Anyway, I recommend this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agQ0PWXb6-U

I like this guy plus this video provides a nice timeline of gamergate.