Convince Me To Buy Overwatch...

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I'm probably going to get the game myself at some point. I did enjoy TF2 for a while because I like fast-paced, sometimes chaotic multiplayer action. With friends it becomes even better.

I mainly wanted to add something important that it seems people keep forgetting in this thread.

You guys realize Overwatch is $40 right? The collectors edition is $60, if you just want the game you can get it for $40.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Zhukov said:
And yet I am able to enjoy Overwatch and don't mind unlocking random crates through normal play.
I can confirm this. Have personally witnessed Zhukov enjoying Overwatch for 5, even 10 seconds at a time before he inevitably gets disconnected.
Y'know what's funny?

That only happens when I try to group up with you.

Play solo? Totally fine. Connection stable and silky smooth.

Group up with people from all corners of God's green Earth? All is well. Maybe a spot of latency depending on where they are.

Group up with the Guppy? Battle.net throws its arms in the air and promptly shits itself inside out. 90% chance of disconnect with 10 seconds.

I'm starting to suspect some kind of internet skulduggery on your part in retaliation for making a point of proving you wrong on the whole "I doubt I'll ever actually hear from any of you" thing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Nuuu said:
I'm probably going to get the game myself at some point. I did enjoy TF2 for a while because I like fast-paced, sometimes chaotic multiplayer action. With friends it becomes even better.

I mainly wanted to add something important that it seems people keep forgetting in this thread.

You guys realize Overwatch is $40 right? The collectors edition is $60, if you just want the game you can get it for $40.
$60 for console. They get the short end of the stick.

They won't change it either. Not for a long time.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I hate these threads.

There are so many ways to pick what games you play. You can read reviews, pop by metacritic and even read user reviews, watch twitch or any other stream service, watch youtube videos (either people playing or "hero" guides) and I am sure there are more ways.

Firstly, you played the beta but for how long? By the sounds of it you got killed once and left.
Second, if you're planning on renting it, why are you asking us about characters? Rent it, pick a person and have a go. I could use all the words in the dictionary but it's kind of meaningless.

I could say "tracer is a quick moving attacker" but how quick is quick? My feeling is, you can't really understand a game till you play it. When you hear "the controls are floaty/clunky" you know what they mean but you don't REALLY grasp how floaty/clunky it feels.

You can watch all the streams and vids or read all the reviews but you'll never really know until you get your hands on, which is what you're doing by renting ... so why are we convincing you to buy it?

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
2HF said:
I didn't realize that different characters played completely different classes and styles and that these things could all coexist (I never played TF2, just wasn't my thing).
You aren't experienced with nor like class shooters? Why did you buy Overwatch then? It's basically TF2: Waifu Edition

2HF

May 24, 2011
Bocaj2000 said:
2HF said:
I didn't realize that different characters played completely different classes and styles and that these things could all coexist (I never played TF2, just wasn't my thing).
You aren't experienced with nor like class shooters? Why did you buy Overwatch then? It's basically TF2: Waifu Edition
Read the title of the thread again...

And just by the by, I had no experience with pizza before I tried pizza either.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Cette said:
RaikuFA said:
I'm having trouble seeing what all the hype is about as well. Then again, I couldn't play the beta. For now I just see another CoD/TF2 clone with actual color.
I'd say what makes it so good is the intangible game feel. Like just almost every characters weapons and abilities feel effective and exciting to use. Which unfortunately is almost impossible to convey via watching video's of others playing. If you can lay hands on it either via rental or playing quick on a friends machine that has it do that and you'll know pretty quick how you feel about it.

Also the lore and vast array of characters and play styles are a big draw to some people.
Redbox doesn't have it and I really don't have friends.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I guess I'm the one who gets to play devil's advocate, oh goody.

First thing is, why in the name of sanity would you download and dive into a game you know nothing about? Well no shit you're not going to like it. And why is it our job to school you in a newly released title? Visit the website, learn about the heroes, read up on the lore, watch gameplay trailers, watch cinematic trailers, watch Youtubers play, watch Twitch streamers play. Or do none of it and waste $60 on Battleborn. Or go spend $60 on shoes. Seriously why do people need other people to sell games to them - either you're interested in it or not. Do what the rest of us did and find your own reasons to get into it.

But I may as well contribute some useful information so here you go to start you off [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/].

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MercurySteam said:
I guess I'm the one who gets to play devil's advocate, oh goody.

First thing is, why in the name of sanity would you download and dive into a game you know nothing about? Well no shit you're not going to like it. And why is it our job to school you in a newly released title? Visit the website, learn about the heroes, read up on the lore, watch gameplay trailers, watch cinematic trailers, watch Youtubers play, watch Twitch streamers play. Or do none of it and waste $60 on Battleborn. Or go spend $60 on shoes. Seriously why do people need other people to sell games to them - either you're interested in it or not. Do what the rest of us did and find your own reasons to get into it.

But I may as well contribute some useful information so here you go to start you off [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/].
Battle born is $40 now. Esp on consoles. Something Overwatch refuses to do.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
RaikuFA said:
This is true, although Blizzard have made a statement basically saying that all future content in OW will be free. Something that Battleborn refuses to do as they have a season pass.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MercurySteam said:
RaikuFA said:
This is true, although Blizzard have made a statement basically saying that all future content in OW will be free. Something that Battleborn refuses to do as they have a season pass.
That is true. I just wish console had the same choice as PC.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Bought it, loving Gengi right now. Played some support as Mercy and didn't hate that. May keep this one.

SolidState

May 30, 2015
This seems like a decent enough thread to ask this in...

What sort of internet connection / ping does Overwatch require? I ask this because my internet connection isn't the best.