Convince Me To Stay

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
I can't convince you to stay, that's the job of the game developers. If the devs can't convince you to stay by creating compelling and fun games then I'd say it's your duty to leave. Show them that they're doing a poor job with your wallet, by taking it with you.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Nope, off you go. If you don't find it enjoyable, that's one thing, but acting like I may have thought of something you haven't and by bringing it to your attention change your outlook is silly.

Although if I had to give a reason it would be to support good developers and publishers, if playing games isn't enough. You don't have to buy just AAA crap you know.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Machine Man 1992 said:
At the risk of sounding elitist/pretentious, it sounds like the answer to most of your issues is to get a gaming PC. It opens the doors to an extremely wide variety of titles at virtually all price ranges. The humble/indie royale bundles have given me more games for a ridiculously low sum than I've ever managed to play through. Not to mention Steam sales. It kinda helps that "$60 for a 7 hour experience" burn.

If that isn't an option, think about why you play games in the first place. The experiences that hooked you and made you think "this is something I want to do for the rest of my life". Focus on what devs are providing analogs to those experiences.

Maybe avoid forums for awhile. Spending too much time on forums can spin you in circles with the drama and politics surrounding "gamer culture", and prevent you from enjoying games for their own sake. It also bombards you with opposing opinions that can potentially cloud the ones you hold personally.

You may also consider the handheld scene. A 3DS purchase gives you the few great 3DS games that exist and are coming, including the gigantic and incredible DS library. I say this because it allows you to enjoy those games without crazy DRM schemes, DLC and microtransactions out the ass, half-baked games that require tons of patches, and the other bullshit surrounding modern console gaming at the moment.

It could also be "gaming burnout". Maybe you need to take a little sabbatical and find another hobby, even if it's on the side that also enriches your life. It can make the return to gaming feel new and fresh again, and give you a fresh perspective on what the medium is all about. I'm sure that if I didn't play instruments and make music, gaming would be such a dominant part of my life that I would lack the proper perspective to enjoy it for its own sake.

Also consider taking the plunge into genres you think you don't like or ones you've never tried. I thought I hated puzzle games for a long time until I played Portal, Thomas Was Alone, Braid, and the like.

All that said, I'm a 25 year old married man who is enjoying video games more than I ever have in my life (well, at least until an RPG comes out that's better than Chrono Trigger). I don't buy the whole "I'm too old to enjoy video games" line. I know that this is my medium of choice practically forever. I enjoy it more than movies and books, and games have cutscenes and reading anyway.

Hopefully I helped you out a bit.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
I have fond memories of playing Tachyon when I was eight

My quest is at an end. Long have I traversed the twisted worlds of both internet and Real Life, as I had yet to find another. Another that has seen what I had seen, played what I had played, and indeed, shouted 'What the hell?' as I have shouted.
You are the only person, online or IRL that I have met that has played Tachyon: The Fringe before.For this, I have a boon to ask of you: Please stay gaming. There are so few Tachyon gamers left now, we need everyone we can find.

Now, I must say goodbye, for this quest may have ended, but my cause carries onwards.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! EPIC POST!

Bruce Campbell is the best part of T:F, anywho... let your quest be ever more quenched...

I still have the original box to this little gem... you young cats... hehehe!

As far as the OP goes... dunno guy... go play FC:Blood Dragon or something... or Monaco... or Testament of Sherlock Holmes... that is pretty good, and really really stay away from forums that are not specific to a game your interested in or playing.

Most "Journalism" forums are a toxic dump... at least that has been my experience... escapist isn't that different.

Apr 28, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
Iwata said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Iwata said:
"Too old"?

I'm 32. Married. I'm a father. I work as a media analyst and therefore must stay up every day until stupid-o'clock.

Being "old" isn't the problem.
I was being facetious. It's my fault for not putting it in italics or something.

But hey, at least it's made some people laugh (I think).

Ah, I see. My mistake.

Still, it wouldn't be the first time in these forums that someone about your age says he may be getting "too old for gaming". Hence why I believed it.
Maybe part of my problem is that I kind went through in ten years what old school people did in twenty-five; I was born in the middle of the 16-bit era, saw the jump to 3D, the introduction of analog sticks, the unveiling of the PS2 and gradual evolution (or devolution to some) of the game market as we see it today.

To me, retro is Ape Escape or Spyro. Nostalgic is Bruce Campbell as a space pilot and playing flight sims someone my age had no business playing. Back then was my golden age, even the FPS's, especially the gritty serious ones, had this sense of charm to them that I just don't get anymore.

Maybe a hiatus is in order after all.
Whenever I feel this way I usually play a game in a genre I don't usually play/haven't played in a while. Mainly to get some variety and a break from what I usually play. If that doesn't work I play my older games. Which either reminds me of the good old days or shatters my nostalgia like a well-thrown brick.

Turns out Quake 1 and 2 are about four and five hours long, respectively. And trying to play through older RPG's is so unbelievably tedious it makes me wonder why the hell I put up with it all. And don't get me started on how quite a few older games had no checkpoints... ugh. But now I'm going off a bit, sorry.

Anyway, I'd recommend doing that. It always helps me.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Here's a reason worth staying around for: Half Life 3 ;)

Have faith that Valve will release it eventually and you'll endure anything!

Edit: The level of sophistry in this thread is TOO DAMN HIGH! We're talking about playing video games for goodness sake. Not some important life lesson, coming-of-age rubbish.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Michael Lapierre said:
I'm almost 67, and NO WAY would I give up gaming...Anyone remember Atari 400 w/ membrane keyboard? Well, that was my gaming start.
Now?
My games take me to worlds that never were, and for times that will never be matched. I can walk in the shoes of giants, or inhabit the body of a rat.
Zip along skylines, or ooze in a primordial soup.
My advice? Lighten up, and enjoy the new worlds you are lucky enough to see and experience.
I just needed to announce that you have officially become the coolest person I have ever conversed with. That is all.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
So convince me to stay escapists; give me one/three good reasons why I should stay in the gameing scene.
Because Bioware is bound to generate some more entertaining drama when their next game comes out? Or Minecraft. Minecraft is really cool.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I bet the OP has only just turned 20 and so thinks he has to start acting all grown up and "re-evaluate" his life and shit. What was that C.S Lewis quotation?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I am not going to convince you to stay. In fact, you should leave. If you see nothing worth your while, why in the hell should you stay? You don't seem to like anyone in gaming or most anyone's opinions. Hell, you don't seem to like anything about gaming, at all. Leave, and come back if you ever feel like coming back. If you never do... So long and thanks for all the fish, I guess. :\

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Just be selective?

Play games that really appeal to you, and ignore all the unimportant bullshit you dislike.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Well, Metal Gear Solid 5 is still coming out, probably for the PS4, so I'm going to have to stick around for that.

MGS 5?

But they didnt say that it all ended with 4...

Oh well whatever. I am not intersted in that series at all, but even I knew that so I had to ask.

The Inquisitive Mug

Jul 11, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:

I think if you're asking US to tell YOU why you'd want to stick around is because you want to stay already. You know it's YOUR choice to jump into annoying threads, or reply to smug people. Just don't do that and stick to lovely polls about how do you take your coffee, and conversations about games you liked. None of this works for you, maybe you should try starting your own threads about the stuff you'd like to discuss. Or just log in less frequently, I dunno. Is it such a big deal? It's just an internet chat forum. You can come and go as you please. You don't have any obligations to it.
Wow. He's not talking about leaving the Escapist. He's talking about quitting the gaming scene.

Machine Man 1992 said:
So convince me to stay escapists; give me one/three good reasons why I should stay in the gameing scene.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Backlogs.

You haven't plumbed the depths of the various console and PC backlogs.

THINK OF ALL THE GEMS YOU'VE MISSED!

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Read the title, assumed the topic was about The Escapist, first word that popped into my head was : "Nope."

Clicked on the thread link, read the OP, first two words that popped into my head were: "Still nope."

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm sick of all the things you listed. Know what I did? Don't buy games you haven't tried yet, or at least have enough knowledge about to make a decision, don't buy consoles and and support only the people you think deserve it.

I've been near broke for months now and I still manage to play plenty of games without getting sick of any of it. How do I do it? I found some free to play PC games I really like i.e. Mechwarrior Online, Tribes Ascend, Smite, League of Legends, and the only games I've paid for, I've gotten for less than 20 dollars (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, DO IT). Granted I play everything on PC, so free to play games are easier to come by.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
Whelp, I think it's time to throw in the towel.

It's time to end this nonsense and just give up on gaming.

Maybe I've just gotten too old (I'm twenty, so that's right out), or maybe too busy, or maybe I'm just tired of videogames.

All of them. All of it. Tired of the extremists. Tired of the 2deep4u pseudo-intellectuals. Tired of everything being teh sexist/racist.

I'm tired of the constant calls to be taken seriously. Taken seriously by whom exactly?

Tired of games sacrificing gameplay for pretentious meta-narrative bullshit, tired of unentertaining seriousness, tired of AAA treating me as a wallet on legs, tired of DLC being little more than stuff that should be part of the main game, tired of games lasting barely longer than 7-8 hours and being charged sixty bucks for it.

Tired of consoles filling themselves with junk, tired of constant firmware updates, or game update, of constant patches because the devs couldn't be arsed to test before shipping and are treating us, the consumer, as unpaid beta-testers.

And if the new rumors about the next generation have a shred of truth to them, it's just going to get worse.

But I don't want to leave the gameing scene. This is the one hobby I've really enjoyed, and I've been doing it since was six years old. I have fond memories of playing Tachyon when I was eight, of Starlancer when I was ten, of Ratchet and Clank when I was twelve. I remember the day I bought my 360 with my own money, how happy I was to finally be part of scene.

Hell, list all the reasons I should stay, or give me a few more why I shouldn't. Discuss among yourselves whether should you stay or should you go.
Being 29 I'm obliged to tell you to "get off my lawn!"....

OT: Yes the main AAA industry (EA and Activision specifically) has gone downhill, which is why I wont buy from them now, but there's plenty of good options in gaming. Eg: Go for PC or PS4 rather than the nextbox (honestly the xbox has been the main source of the issues you've described), especially PC. Then look for games by smaller devs and publishers that have a proven record (such as 2K producing XCOM, Civ V and other respectable games without pulling the DLC crap). Indie games are also another great source of proper well made games for the mature audience that doesn't treat you like an idiot, so perhaps focus on them for awhile. And lastly, perhaps some time off doing other stuff will help, you could just be temporarily burnt out.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
Start developing games, FFS. You're 20, it's time to do something more worthwhile. ;)